The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Big thing for me last night was that we actually won an important game at home. Too often a decent crowd turns up at Somerset and are treated to a shambolic performance but it had a different feel to it last night. Rode our luck at times but some good old fashioned no nonsense defending and having the balls to throw players forward got the job done. Been critical of McGinty in the past but I thought he was excellent last night and shored up the defence when we needed it. One clearance from almost under our own crossbar was exceptional. 

4 minutes ago, yorkshirepud said:

Big thing for me last night was that we actually won an important game at home. Too often a decent crowd turns up at Somerset and are treated to a shambolic performance but it had a different feel to it last night. Rode our luck at times but some good old fashioned no nonsense defending and having the balls to throw players forward got the job done. Been critical of McGinty in the past but I thought he was excellent last night and shored up the defence when we needed it. One clearance from almost under our own crossbar was exceptional. 

Ironically it was probably our worst performance of the season, however this team seem to be made of stern stuff and instead of folding they managed to knuckle down and grind out the win which we probably didn't deserve. That in itself speaks volumes and is completely different from any Ayr side that we've had in years.

People can say what they like about Bullen but his man management skills are excellent as he's kept virtually the entire squad involved so that even the fringe guys must feel like they're really involved and have played a part in our relative success to date.

I honestly don't think there's many squads with as much strength in depth as ourselves and Bullens strategy of rotation and using all our subs should pay dividends when the inevitable injuries and suspensions kick in over the Winter months, but the fact most of our squad are fully match fit should really benefit us.

Hopefully we can keep up the good work at Arbroath on Saturday and then at home to Morton as it really does feel that this squad could do something special for us this season....

I don’t get the criticism of Albinson.

Let’s be clear the criticism is coming from two sources Itzdrk and Iain and based on what I’ve seen from the highlights of our 12 games so far this season neither has a clue about what should be expected from a goalkeeper. Conceding a goal does not mean the keeper has made an error.

Albinson will more than do for me on what I’ve seen so far this season and I suspect he will be in with a shout for the number 1 jersey in the team of the year for the division if we carry on as we are currently. Long way to go though.

I don’t think I’ve seen a player progress quite as much as Albinson has since last season. 

His kicking is good, shot stopping excellent and he can come for crosses too. The only area for improvement is possibly from corners. If he continues as he is then he is absolutely up there with Doohan and Sinisalo of recent years. 

I don’t think I’ve seen a player progress quite as much as Albinson has since last season. 
His kicking is good, shot stopping excellent and he can come for crosses too. The only area for improvement is possibly from corners. If he continues as he is then he is absolutely up there with Doohan and Sinisalo of recent years. 

Last night was the first time I can remember him consistently catching maybe three or four high balls into the box in a row. It’s a huge boost when you’ve got a goalie that’s comfortable doing that given the way most teams in this league play.

7 hours ago, Hawk89 said:

He could probably do with being loaned out to a league 1 or 2 side to get some game time under his belt. He's still pretty young, but feel like he's been around forever now. 

Yeah 😐 I know it's not correct to compare Ecrepont with Alan Forrest, different positions and entirely different team and so on. However, Forrest was in and about the first team at 16 years of age. Both came through from the Ayr United Academy. Why could we not give Ecrepont a wee bash at it?

Bryden seems to have done okay coming through from the academy, though in a position that really needed to be filled and was seen to in the summer.

Young players generally get their shot when managers are desperate. Mark Roberts had no option at times but to play Forrest and was apparently under pressure from players in that team to get him playing more as they could see how good he was.

Luke McCowan got his chance through injuries and then when he started the following season on fire he never looked back.

Fraser Bryden was the same. Adeloye suspended for Arbroath at home. Afolabi being an utter waster so it was either him or Moffat. I think with Bullen having been a youth coach for so long he understands that young players need a pathway to the first team and will play them if he thinks they’re good enough. He won’t fear losing a game because he’s given a 17 year old a debut. Not in the same way McCall would have.

Ecrepont is unlucky that we had Daniel Harvie who was an utterly brilliant left back for us. Kerr was never going to gamble on having him as a direct replacement and brought in Reading. It could be argued that if Reading needs taken out of the team then Ecrepont should get a chance.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Let’s be clear the criticism is coming from two sources Itzdrk and Iain and based on what I’ve seen from the highlights of our 12 games so far this season neither has a clue about what should be expected from a goalkeeper. Conceding a goal does not mean the keeper has made an error.

Albinson will more than do for me on what I’ve seen so far this season and I suspect he will be in with a shout for the number 1 jersey in the team of the year for the division if we carry on as we are currently. Long way to go though.

Pretty sure I've only criticised the keeper a couple of times all season. You make it sound like I've been campaigning against the guy. Generally I think he's performed absolutely fine.

12 hours ago, rb123! said:

Take it there won't be any highlights from last night since the stream broke

Issue was with them processing the purchase rather the stream itself. Although since they still stream every home game I've no idea why we've only had 3 highlight packages from 9 home games so far. 

Might as well hire whoever is behind that Saida Wiseman account as they at least upload them promptly.

3 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Issue was with them processing the purchase rather the stream itself. Although since they still stream every home game I've no idea why we've only had 3 highlight packages from 9 home games so far. 

Might as well hire whoever is behind that Saida Wiseman account as they at least upload them promptly.

The silence from the club on this front is a bit baffling. Not to mention no thank you to Wuffster for his years of service. I am totally unimpressed by the situation with the highlights. More so because things had been so much more professional off the field since Mathie came in. 

23 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The silence from the club on this front is a bit baffling. Not to mention no thank you to Wuffster for his years of service. I am totally unimpressed by the situation with the highlights. More so because things had been so much more professional off the field since Mathie came in. 

Exactly and we clearly are supplying the SPFL with highlights of the goals even if the tweet they posted on Monday of Dipo's goal was embarrassing quality.

Bigger issue for the club would be if nobody wanted to watch highlights. Given all the talk of increasing the fan base and with our start to the season it's seems a good highlights package would be the starting point for attracting new or lapsed fans to Somerset. I would prefer highlights in HD uploaded ASAP over having them add in score graphics etc.

1 hour ago, GaryMc93 said:

Exactly and we clearly are supplying the SPFL with highlights of the goals even if the tweet they posted on Monday of Dipo's goal was embarrassing quality.

Bigger issue for the club would be if nobody wanted to watch highlights. Given all the talk of increasing the fan base and with our start to the season it's seems a good highlights package would be the starting point for attracting new or lapsed fans to Somerset. I would prefer highlights in HD uploaded ASAP over having them add in score graphics etc.

It actually really annoys me - we must be about the only club in the country that would go top of the championship in a 6 goal thriller in front of a decent crowd and then have no highlights package.  

That's the sort of one I personally would want to be sharing a YouTube video of over WhatsApp to a few pals who are very occasional attendees but have started taking notice a bit more this year, and say something like "here lads how good did that look, fancy the next home game then? Couple of pints in Camerons first"  etc.   

Pixellot is there in the ground recording everything in acceptable quality.  Should be no reason we can't use that footage for highlights.  It's a vastly better angle than the cameras under the stand as well.  

2:50 here for example - https://youtu.be/IzQOPq2c-G4

The highlights thing is just so weird.  The club is moving forward in so many ways, but has regressed so badly in this area.  Mathie seems genuinely willing to engage with the fans on any issues, so the silence seems even more baffling.  

I wouldn’t pretend to know the full facts, but the guy who did the highlights for years seems to have been treated very badly by the club.  Even when highlights have appeared, the quality has been absolutely amateurish.