The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

44 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Dipo was clearly struggling with a knock and limped off and as for "taking a hiding from Thistle", you do know that they were just scudded 4-0 at home by the same side we slaughtered 5-0 just a couple of weeks back ??

I think some of you just try too hard to talk the team and the Manager down........

Did you feel we would go on and win the game when the changes were made?  Genuine question.   I didn't. I felt absolutely deflated and that the Cove defenders would stroll the last 15 mins as we had nothing.   As it went 

Edit - if Dipo was injured then fair enough- McKenzie is the obvious replacement for him.  Young then absolutely HAS to stay on 

Edited by Hursty

23 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Also- a triple sub of attackers and Daire o Connor wasn't one that came on.  Basically the only one that can actually beat a man and stick a cross in out of the 3.  Mind boggling. 

From what I’ve seen Daire O’Connor isn’t great 

14 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

From what I’ve seen Daire O’Connor isn’t great 

Didn't say he was.  He has the ability to at least make a yard and stick a decent cross in so would have been better than what we did bring on.  

Just now, Hursty said:

Didn't say he was.  He has the ability to at least make a yard and stick a decent cross in so would have been better than what we did bring on.  

If he had to make the subs he did, then Daire should have played off either McKenzie or Ashford, as opposed to just playing two players with no technical abilities up front. 

3 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

This seems very much like playing the player, as opposed to the game.

Other than being turned early on, Houston had a good game. If there is anything to comment on, it was the absolutely horrid performance Reading put in.

It’s not something you say often at all, but Reading was fucking horrendous today. They got joy down our left all game long.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Dipo was clearly struggling with a knock and limped off and as for "taking a hiding from Thistle", you do know that they were just scudded 4-0 at home by the same side we slaughtered 5-0 just a couple of weeks back ??

I think some of you just try too hard to talk the team and the Manager down........

Is Dipo actually injured....

1 minute ago, Calayrdonia said:

It’s not something you say often at all, but Reading was fucking horrendous today. They got joy down our left all game long.

What's the script with Ecrepont? Can't get on the bench due to the size of the squad and i'm pretty sure he hasn't gone out on loan. 

If he's still as highly rated as he was a few years ago surely he should be getting his chance to compete with Reading??

Safe to say also Reading is never going to reach Harvie levels that we might have hoped seen as Reading was also a regular in the Scotland U21 squad

32 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

If he had to make the subs he did, then Daire should have played off either McKenzie or Ashford, as opposed to just playing two players with no technical abilities up front. 

100% this. Bringing on Ashford and McKenzie to play as an upfront pairing was utterly bizarre. They are pretty much the exact same type of player. I was expecting a change in approach - ie maybe playing it out a bit but we stuck to kick and rush where they had no chance of winning a high ball against the Cove centre backs.

You could sense the underwhelming nature of that change.

Did anyone believe we could win the game from that point? I was more worried Cove would score tbqh.

13 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

It was a brilliant through ball for their second goal, to be fair to Paddy. 

It brought me flashbacks of his backwards header against Morton at Cappielow when Kerr was the gaffer. I still suffer PTSD from that one.

He literally could have done about 10 other things which wouldn't have resulted in that delicious though ball for the opposition. 🤦‍♂️

24 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Did anyone believe we could win the game from that point?

"Eh, are we playing for a draw here?" Was my immediate thought.  I'm not sure what effect that would have on the team with that kind of change. Bit deflated I would have thought. Be interesting to see how he lines up on Tuesday if that's his game management against a team at the bottom of the table.

33 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

"Eh, are we playing for a draw here?" Was my immediate thought.  I'm not sure what effect that would have on the team with that kind of change. Bit deflated I would have thought. Be interesting to see how he lines up on Tuesday if that's his game management against a team at the bottom of the table.

That was my thoughts as well. Got quite annoyed tbh with you, even more so on checking the stats afterwards. 24 shots, 11 on target.

No disrespect to Cove but I had Ayr absolutely trouncing them in my head before kick off. 

I'll be the first to say that I hope Bullen brings in a defender or two in January, as that was anything but solid at the back today🤞

The problem is not the defenders. It's that we have four very attacking players and even Murdy and Ben like to try join in as well. Whenever we lose the ball we are wide open. I would probably sacrifice Brad Young and try get a tighter hold of games. That is by no means a criticism of Young who I think has done really well.

12 hours ago, kaisayr said:

The problem is not the defenders. It's that we have four very attacking players and even Murdy and Ben like to try join in as well. Whenever we lose the ball we are wide open. I would probably sacrifice Brad Young and try get a tighter hold of games. That is by no means a criticism of Young who I think has done really well.

100%, that's the trade off when playing the type of football that we do as far as creating chances and attacking football is concerned. Charmers doesn't do much tracking back at all, however I like him for what he brings to the team in an attacking sense but it does make us far more open.

It is what it is and personally I'm really enjoying the games this season as we're being entertained which ultimately is what it's all about.

21 minutes ago, the west curve said:

I think that’s more to do with the poor standard this season. 

Compared to the fantastic standard last season when part time Arbroath were 20 minutes away from winning the league.

Hear this pish take year after year.