The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Should still be good numbers at Dundee regardless of the bus situation . The Ship are not running a bus due to nobody being available to run it . What ever happened to the bus from the Toll Bar ? Anyway don't see why the club don't run them out of Cameron's Bar ....

2 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

GK - Nelson.  LB - Lovering. CB - Craig. CB - Adams. RB - Devlin. LM - Sheerin.* CM - Stevenson. CM - Wilson. RM - Forrest. CF - Shankland. CF - Akinyemi.

I mind boggled this for a while. Missed out some better players but I eventually settled on this XI. Couldn't think of a decent left midfielder off the top of my head 🤔. It is so much easier to do an Ayr United Shi*est XI. 😂                                   

Who's Wilson ?

1 hour ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

Marvyn I reckon.

Aah Yes, God, I must be getting old, had forgotten all about him.

Pretty good player for us but always thought he was a poor mans Duncan George !!

32 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Aah Yes, God, I must be getting old, had forgotten all about him.

Pretty good player for us but always thought he was a poor mans Duncan George !!

It was from 2000 onwards. Always thought he was a great player.

Honestly it was between him, McGinley and Sheerin but couldn't for the life of me think of someone to play on the left, so put Sheerin there  as he played on left a few times😊

I'm too young to remember Duncan George 😅 first game I was at was in 98.

54 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

It was from 2000 onwards. Always thought he was a great player.

Honestly it was between him, McGinley and Sheerin but couldn't for the life of me think of someone to play on the left, so put Sheerin there  as he played on left a few times😊

I'm too young to remember Duncan George 😅 first game I was at was in 98.

Marvyn was good but probably didn't score enough goals, although he was there to break up play and that's what he did very well.

McGinley did well for us in what was the twilight of his very successful career but I'd say Sheerin massively underachieved at Ayr and was a shadow of the player that played for Inverness although he was by no means a failure, just that he never really lived up to the high expectations that we had.

All just my own opinion though and others maybe saw things differently.

8 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Sheerin massively underachieved at Ayr and was a shadow of the player that played for Inverness

I agree, came across arrogant in tv interviews at the time, which was the opposite of Grady or Hughes etc.

Neil Duffy and Neil Scally were also good midfielders but as you said Marvyn Wilson broke up play well.

There's been no better keeper at Ayr since Nelson.

Hughes and Campbell were good defenders but The Farmer is who I chose next to the legend David Craig. Nicky Devlin over John Robertson. The rest of the team kinda picked itself 😊

Who would you have had? 

1 minute ago, Roxanne's man said:

I agree, came across arrogant in tv interviews at the time, which was the opposite of Grady or Hughes etc.

Neil Duffy and Neil Scally were also good midfielders but as you said Marvyn Wilson broke up play well.

There's been no better keeper at Ayr since Nelson.

Hughes and Campbell were good defenders but The Farmer is who I chose next to the legend David Craig. Nicky Devlin over John Robertson. The rest of the team kinda picked itself 😊

Who would you have had? 

Nelson just over Cuthbert but close and Devlin just over Robertson but close again. Devlin deserves extra credit as was a wonderful Captain at a time when the rest were pretty hopeless and he was also a very good ambassador for the club off the pitch.

Teale is a definite along with Shankland and I was also a huge Alan Forrest fan and I'd also feel terrible leaving Moff out of any team of "stars".

Davie Craig also top notch and might even have stuck Rose in beside him.  We've also got Adams, Stevo and even Doc to be honest.

Oh, decisions decisions !!

Hopefully Dipo, Dempsey, Paddy & co will soon have us forgetting about all of them !!!

19 hours ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Nelson 

Devlin Craig Hughes lovering 

Teale stevo murdoch Forest 

Shankland dipo 

Subs ...moffat, rose,castilla, adams 

I would agree with most of that team actually. Though I might swap Hughes and Adams around and have Marvyn Wilson in for Murdoch and put Murdoch on the bench.

I tried to reason that it's too early in Dipo's Ayr career to include him, but he has been phenomenal and he cannot not be included IMO. The most complete striker we have had at the club since Shankland. A front two of Shankland and Dipo would score an absolute barrowload of goals. Benching Moffat is harsh, because he is genuinely one of my favourite ever Ayr players and is a bonafide Ayr legend, but him being benched shows how good Dipo and Shankland are.

If Dipo keeps up his goalscoring exploits, he will become an Ayr legend in no time. Has a player ever won the hearts of the Ayr United fans as quickly as Dipo has?

I've just been at my son's Parents Evening. He got a glowing report and is doing really well at everything. 

The teacher took me over to the wall to show me this absolutely brilliant picture. This is how I know I've done well with him 😊

Someone has got to tell Fraser Bryden that he's inspiring 7 year olds 😁 

IMG20221012175113.jpg

15 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

I've just been at my son's Parents Evening. He got a glowing report and is doing really well at everything. 

The teacher took me over to the wall to show me this absolutely brilliant picture. This is how I know I've done well with him 😊

Someone has got to tell Fraser Bryden that he's inspiring 7 year olds 😁 

IMG20221012175113.jpg

Hope the wee man wasn't too busy helping all the Rangers fans last night.  

12 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Have the club ever said what’s wrong with Bryden?

Yes , they announced online and Bullen confirmed on one of his AUTV interviews that he had a knee injury and was at hospital getting a scan which resulted in a minor operation and announced last week he was back training 

I saw briefly on Twitter that the club has started a Former Players Society. This is an excellent idea and I hope future events or commemorations are better publicised than a single post-fact tweet (I don't even think it's mentioned on the club website at all!).

5 hours ago, Iain said:

I saw briefly on Twitter that the club has started a Former Players Society. This is an excellent idea and I hope future events or commemorations are better publicised than a single post-fact tweet (I don't even think it's mentioned on the club website at all!).

There are a couple of videos about it on the website now, its more about a support network for former players than a fan activity. With an understanding that players don't need to perform as part of it, Like being paraded on the pitch or give an interview if they don't want to.