The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, GaryMc93 said:

Shankland also scored one at the start of that season against Stenhousemuir in the League Cup.

Notice it hasn't taken long for the rumours to start about teams looking at Dipo. According to Football League World Bradford City, Burton Albion, Leyton Orient, and Morecambe are all interested. They can look elsewhere as no chance he's leaving in January.

None of these clubs could offer any more than about 100k and just won’t sell for that 

27 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

Was there not an offer of 250k for Shankland and we knocked that back when he was in his last season?

Fylde and that Belgian outfit spring to mind.

Yeah. The club released a statement saying they had received transfer offers for numerous players but did not intend on selling any of them.

43 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

None of these clubs could offer any more than about 100k and just won’t sell for that 

Agreed we would get more from top flights clubs up here. When you consider the prize money on offer anything under 300k isn't even worth a response. Needs two goals to beat Adeloye's league goals which would also put him in our top 5 for Championship goalscorers which highlights the value of having a striker that can put the ball in the net.

I’d be surprised if the club didn’t already have a shortlist of three or four strikers that they can realistically go and get IF they happened to sell the big man. They’d all likely be from the English lower league market as well but even if it’s someone we’ve never heard of the club have enough goodwill after the signings of Dempsey and Akinyemi that they might actually know what they’re looking for when it comes to that level.

I’d also be hoping that a significant fee could be used to enhance all areas of the squad come next summer.

10 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Saw the Ship Inn aren't doing a bus to Dundee - any chance the club might somehow get one on? Would be a shame to go up there on the back of this result with a small crowd 

Pretty sure trains are on strike again this Saturday too... so if you don't drive up the only other option will be to hatch  a lift or undertake about 8 hours of community service by taking public buses from Ayr to Dundee and back.

13 hours ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

I was talking during the game on Saturday about the last time we had scored five in the league at this level and couldn't for the life of me remember. It took P&B to remind me I was at that Tannadice game and I'd watched it completely sober. Getting old sucks!

We also put 5 past Morton that season, before the Tannadice game I think it was. 

Before that 18/19 I can't really remember us scoring 5 in the 2nd tier. None of the 3 relegation seasons I was here for in this tier involved any games were we scored 5, I don't think so anyway.

16 hours ago, Jazzar said:

Unless he keeps bangin them in and we then get a crazy offer? We didn't make any money on Shankland - once bitten, twice shy?

Top scorer in Scotland with 1 and a half years left on his contract playing for a team who don't have any financial worries and who are growing their club and pushing for promotion to the top tier.

So how much would that be worth ??

I'd be saying £500k up front plus add ons at a minimum but even at that I'd be thinking he's worth MUCH more to us if it means a realistic chance of promotion be it this season or next.

4 hours ago, southsiderayr said:

Who is your best Ayr XI from 2000 onwards?

GK - Nelson.  LB - Lovering. CB - Craig. CB - Adams. RB - Devlin. LM - Sheerin.* CM - Stevenson. CM - Wilson. RM - Forrest. CF - Shankland. CF - Akinyemi.

I mind boggled this for a while. Missed out some better players but I eventually settled on this XI. Couldn't think of a decent left midfielder off the top of my head 🤔. It is so much easier to do an Ayr United Shi*est XI. 😂                                   

Edited by Roxanne's man