The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

41 minutes ago, Nelson said:

The fact that clubs are even floating the idea tells you how big the issues are around cost.  Might be worth a trial weekend to see how it impacts attendances.  If football was starting with a blank piece of paper, I doubt we’d be kicking off at 3pm in the dead of winter.

Does anyone know roughly how much it costs to run the floodlights for a match? How much electricity (kWh) do they actually use?

I agree that 3pm is essentially an arbitrary time but the point about children's activities being a challenge for some people with a 12:45 KO is a good one - I know that it would make it quite tight for me getting down from Glasgow. Why 12:45 and not 1pm? Not enough daylight at the end of the match in December?

The fact that streaming is being mentioned shows how utterly dumb the streaming restriction is, but also that clubs have found it to be a useful additional revenue stream. Surely this can be resolved properly for next season, irrespective of the KO time?

It depends on the cost. We would all have sacrifices to make for an earlier kick off. It wouldnt personally suit me, but if its going to save the club a very substantial sum, then its got to be done.

The fact they have asked fans to fill in a short form basically saying YES or NO though, would tell me that there'll be virtually no chance of it happening anyway. Don't think it will even be close with the result, so I wouldn't sorry about it in all honesty.

As a short term measure then it would be ok but streaming would be a must. if you can't get to Inverness for lunchtime on a train without an overnight stay, if there was a stream available then it would soften the blow. 

Maybe getting solar panels on the roofs at Somerset is something they could look at in the future.  

18 hours ago, Aliayr76 said:

Why change a winning team muzondo and kirk were playing fine the together but change it  for McGinty to get back in  3 defeats,the games he played.

5 hours ago, ecocme said:

Why was he on the bench then?

Because he was not 100% fit and would only be used if there was an injury to either centre half , you can be a sub when not 100% and only be used  in an emergency , getting back to full fitness hopefully this week 

7 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

I disagree, if he’s not fit he shouldn’t be on the bench. That’s the point of a squad. Bangala and McAllister can play centre back if required. All about opinions though and glad he’ll hopefully be back for next week

4 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

B59D1FBE-3F39-43C9-A506-F4D8F7A3A0D4.png

Not surprised this has come up, sign of the times I suppose.  There is something about football at 3pm on a Saturday that just feels right. But for clubs at this level and below the financial situation means every option to save money needs to be considered.

I'd prefer the 3pm kickoff time was retained but if earlier kick off times meant Ayr had a healthier budget to ensure the club's health going forward or invest in improving the club and its community programmes I'd be willing to accept it.

Not surprised this has come up, sign of the times I suppose.  There is something about football at 3pm on a Saturday that just feels right. But for clubs at this level and below the financial situation means every option to save money needs to be considered.
I'd prefer the 3pm kickoff time was retained but if earlier kick off times meant Ayr had a healthier budget to ensure the club's health going forward or invest in improving the club and its community programmes I'd be willing to accept it.
Agree with you. Should we be discussing "summer football" again in the long term?

I would quite like earlier kick offs in the winter. Selflessly it would be better travelling back home in daylight (or as near as). Definitely wouldnt mind a few games shifted to earlier kos and especially that Christmas eve fixture. If it helps save the club some money on floodlight costs then so be it. It wont be universally popular and perhaps the club think season ticket money is already banked so it may not be that great a loss on "gate money"

Would be genuinely interested to see what the cost of running our floodlights actually is.

Imagine the old lights were still up? We'd have been bankrupt.

Of course it's amazing that Scotland is so full of renewable energy, it's kept everyone from worrying about fuel poverty and I commend everyone involved :lol: 

The McGinty discussion is rather strange considering most knew that Kirk was carrying an injury and has been for the past few weeks, over and above this McGinty didn't do anything wrong and the fact that we failed to convert any of 20 corners or missed 2 open goals and a couple of other very good chances has absolutely no reflection on McGinty or his perceived "terrible distribution" at all, especially when I can only actually recall him hitting the ball forward twice in the entire match on Saturday.

The bottom line remains that we have a good strong squad but just failed to take our chances and were beaten by a sucker punch from another good side with a very well organised and hard working defence.

Anyone who thinks this squad of players will be in a "relegation scrap this year" have obviously not been to any of our matches, that's all I'll say on this......

10 hours ago, foreverarover said:

Someone on the Raith forum has reposted your clubs 12.30 kick off statement. Thereafter commenting about paying and having hospitality at 11am. I don't think there would be much of an uptake on it.

They could have the meal at full time and a few drinks after it. It can all be adapted for the games it would happen in. 

I think it would be unreasonable for games where the away team has to travel in excess of 90 minutes. So Cove at home and Inverness at home for instance. It would probably only be the middle two quarters of the season, so potentially 8-10 home games. 

Has the enclosure under the stand been open for away fans this season? Saying “seating only” in the ticketing blurb for us. Remember it not being open a few years ago and they eventually did it when folk wouldn’t sit down.

If the financial benefits of earlier kickoffs are significant then it should happen. It's not forever. We all need to make sacrifices now thanks to the idiots in government and the greedy energy companies. It's not like clubs are run with a huge surplus, so it makes sense to implement a sensible cost-saving measure on a temporary basis.

4 minutes ago, Iain said:

If the financial benefits of earlier kickoffs are significant then it should happen. It's not forever. We all need to make sacrifices now thanks to the idiots in government and the greedy energy companies. It's not like clubs are run with a huge surplus, so it makes sense to implement a sensible cost-saving measure on a temporary basis.

Exactly. This situation is absolutely disgraceful.

It would be very weird having earlier kickoff times, but if it saves the club a significant amount of money then it's something that should be considered.

I very much doubt they would make the decision to put such an idea forward lightly if they thought it wouldn't be of much benefit. 

Here is my response to the questionnaire on kick off times on the club's website:-

I can attend matches at 12.45pm or 3.00pm so the time change does not affect my ability to attend matches. I often stream matches which I cannot attend, so would actually prefer a 12.45pm kick off with steaming being available. A 12.45 pm kick off will save the club money by not requiring floodlights, so a 12.45pm kick off is my preferred option.

Edited by Toepoker

The club should be applauded for consulting fans before any decision is made although some of the responses are more based on personal circumstances rather than the big picture view which is clearly the club's approach. 

The proposal probably needs more detail regarding savings from estimated cost of the floodlights, number of games it will involve, maximum distance permitted between clubs and some attempt to agree a set PPV price across the league. 

If we say 2 hours distance is the max then for us that's Partick, QP, Hamilton, Morton and Raith. If all those clubs agreed it would mean between Nov-Feb that 4 home and 5 away game would be moved excluding the Dundee Christmas Eve game. 

At the end of the day if the club saves money so the playing budget isn't impacted then it's the most sensible approach short term.