The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Did we not get another boy from Blackburn around the same time?

Jamie Doyle I think his name was.

He came from Leicester shitty. Was the year before Weaver. He wasn't all that bad tbh, 10 goals in 38 appearances, which was Good during that horrible time as an Ayr fan 😅

There's been a few up from England, a mix of both good and just plain awful.

2 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

He came from Leicester shitty. Was the year before Weaver. He wasn't all that bad tbh, 10 goals in 38 appearances, which was Good during that horrible time as an Ayr fan 😅

There's been a few up from England, a mix of both good and just plain awful.

Are you sure he scored that many goals? I only remember him scoring once.

1 hour ago, davidkennedyshand said:

Cherrie did save 2 penalties on his debut. Think it went downhill after and I think we got a hiding at Brechin but I can't remember as it seems that long ago 😂

Still a registered player somewhere in Ireland 

Cherrie has actually had quite a decent career over there.

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Are you sure he scored that many goals? I only remember him scoring once.

You'd be right. Doyle played 18 league games and scored his only goal on his debut. Mark Casey arrived from Portsmouth the same season as Weaver and played for a few seasons. Andy Reid signed the year before from Blackburn although he didn't play much.

1 minute ago, GaryMc93 said:

You'd be right. Doyle played 18 league games and scored his only goal on his debut. Mark Casey arrived from Portsmouth the same season as Weaver and played for a few seasons. Andy Reid signed the year before from Blackburn although he didn't play much.

Someone has been playing sillybuggers on Doyle's wikipedia page. I knew he had not scored ten goals that season - especially because we scored a ridiculously low number of goals that season. Stewart Kean was our top scorer with 7.

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Someone has been playing sillybuggers on Doyle's wikipedia page. I knew he had not scored ten goals that season - especially because we scored a ridiculously low number of goals that season. Stewart Kean was our top scorer with 7.

Yeah also says he plays for Leicester and his stats for them and Arbroath are wrong too. Maybe his kids found it and were embarrassed.

29 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Did he not have two spells with us?

I remember he was released then later returned briefly.

He was released in the summer of 2004 but Shanks brought him back in the October. Got signed again despite getting sent off playing as a trialist.

Was it not a boy Reid who came from Blackburn? 

Weaver wasn't shit, he was just about the only one who looked alright in a howling team, his one-man demolition of Morton at Cappielow probably had the rest of the players thinking ach it's alright Weaver will dig us out. I do agree though on reflection the clamour for him was probably ott.

54 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

He was released in the summer of 2004 but Shanks brought him back in the October. Got signed again despite getting sent off playing as a trialist.

Did we sign Doyle the same time we signed Graeme Brown?

IIRC, some local celebrity financed those deals as Barr had stopped funding us by then. 

I remember being buzzing we had signed Brown. He looked a good signing. Unfortunately his time with us was plagued with injuries and he only managed three goals in his season and a bit with us.

59 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

Was it not a boy Reid who came from Blackburn? 

Weaver wasn't shit, he was just about the only one who looked alright in a howling team, his one-man demolition of Morton at Cappielow probably had the rest of the players thinking ach it's alright Weaver will dig us out. I do agree though on reflection the clamour for him was probably ott.

Tbh me calling him shit was probably a bit harsh, as he had a couple of good performances. It is understandable that there would be a clamour for a player who had played well in a couple of games to play in a team as awful as the one we had back then. However, he was not good enough to play like that consistently. He was nowhere near the worst player we had back then though.

He's still only 36. I thought he would be older than that.

8 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

He was nowhere near the worst player we had back then though.

Who wins that award? 🤔

I remember Darren Henderson missing the ball completely whilst trying to kick it in mid air, the opposition received it and went on to score 🙄. At 37 he was well past it, as was Tommy Tait, who was absolute Dire! Those signings should never have happened imo. Sign of the times that Ayr were in great desperation. We should be proud of how far the team has came since then 😊

7 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Did we sign Doyle the same time we signed Graeme Brown?

IIRC, some local celebrity financed those deals as Barr had stopped funding us by then. 

I remember being buzzing we had signed Brown. He looked a good signing. Unfortunately his time with us was plagued with injuries and he only managed three goals in his season and a bit with us.

The Honest Men Trust raised some of the money which was matched, I think, by the board.

7 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

Who wins that award? 🤔

I remember Darren Henderson missing the ball completely whilst trying to kick it in mid air, the opposition received it and went on to score 🙄. At 37 he was well past it, as was Tommy Tait, who was absolute Dire! Those signings should never have happened imo. Sign of the times that Ayr were in great desperation. We should be proud of how far the team has came since then 😊

We could probably fill a couple of starting elevens.

Tommy Tait basically played for us for free, so I won't slag him for that.

In terms of starting every week and being utter guff, I'd probably say David Dunn was the worst. He was a "winger" who couldn't do anything a winger was meant to do.