The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 hours ago, wuffster said:

I've seen Ayr concede straight from their own corner plenty of times, it just never seemed such an obvious/deliberate self-sabotaging play.

Happened plenty of times under McCall.

6 hours ago, wuffster said:

What was supposed to happen?

He was supposed to hit it on the volley into the top corner, I assume.

Kirk has really impressed me and as a young player will surely only get better with games.  He and Musonda were developing a decent partnership so really don’t get why we suddenly changed it.  McGinty seems to have developed a bit of a cult status, but I’m not sure why.  He’ll do as backup but that’s it.  The jury is still out on Houston but he does seem to have re-found some confidence of late, so like Kirk I just don’t see what the thinking was in dropping him.  You kind of new yesterday was coming after Bullen won manager of the month award, but we certainly didn’t help ourselves.  

24 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Kirk has really impressed me and as a young player will surely only get better with games.  He and Musonda were developing a decent partnership so really don’t get why we suddenly changed it.  McGinty seems to have developed a bit of a cult status, but I’m not sure why.  He’ll do as backup but that’s it.  The jury is still out on Houston but he does seem to have re-found some confidence of late, so like Kirk I just don’t see what the thinking was in dropping him.  You kind of new yesterday was coming after Bullen won manager of the month award, but we certainly didn’t help ourselves.  

In addition to the basics tasks Kirk also seems comfortable with the ball at his feet and can make a decent pass from difficult positions bringing others into play. This can help take some pressure off a defence and buy time to regroup. Whilst an aimless punt might travel further it often just returns the ball to the opposition 

I've praised him (and rightly so) a fair bit the last 6 months, but that utter fucking shambles by McGinty for the third is one of the worst pieces of defending you will ever see. Absolutely criminal.

The old "he was carrying a knock" post-match patter to justify Bullen's utterly baffling decision to rotate his centre backs to get his big club favourite McGinty back into the team as well. Piss poor decision from the manager. When you haven't played for a fortnight, you don't need to rotate. Same with Houston. 

McKenzie is woeful out wide and everyone has rightly been singing his praises when switched through the middle but the worst thing Ayr could do is put him back out wide. Get Mullin out wide and Young beside Dipo.

Haven't hurt like that after a game for quite a while, was absolutely fuming to piss a point away after going two behind. Hurt like a b*****d.

10 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Seen the goals back and the goalie is really poor at the third, he's no getting the initial shot and he's standing as if the situation has been dealt with when the shot is taken.  

There's a lot to be critical of at the third goal -

McGinty ending up on his arse

Houston not puting a foot in

After blocking the initial shot about 6 Ayr players are ball watching as the guy runs onto it for a second bite.

Albinson is well down the list.

8 hours ago, wuffster said:

I've seen Ayr concede straight from their own corner plenty of times, it just never seemed such an obvious/deliberate self-sabotaging play. (Going on the always-good RaithTV highlights only). What was supposed to happen?

A training ground maneuvere gone wrong. It was horrific, Reading has to riffle it or we are in big trouble. I doubt we'll be attempting that corner routine ever again. 🤦‍♂️

So the curse of the manager and player of the month struck again , our boys thought they were Manchester City and they just had to turn up and Rovers would roll over . Not going to happen in this league , harsh lesson learned (hopefully) . Loads of issues all over the park yesterday , most have already been covered  . The positive I take at the moment is that we have played most of the teams in the league , the two Thistles aside , and are no worse than any of them and better that a few of them . When we get our A Game out we are pretty tasty . However we are no world beaters and need to remember that and get the sleeves rolled up every week from the first whistle.. 

As many have said ,Thursday is an opportunity to give Ecripont , Mullin , Bangala ,Smith etc a run out . Also it’s a chance to have a good look at Brad Young and Dipo up front . This might just be our best option up front , the boy looked superb yesterday when he came on .  Anyway onward and upward , bring on the Cally ....

31 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

There's a lot to be critical of at the third goal -

McGinty ending up on his arse

Houston not puting a foot in

After blocking the initial shot about 6 Ayr players are ball watching as the guy runs onto it for a second bite.

Albinson is well down the list.

I don't think the group of players have a chance to react other than Dempsey who turns to his side...so that it doesn't hit him.  

McGinty was terrible at that goal but he actually did ok to start with and got him wide away from the box, at that point he simply needed to foul him when he clearly wasn't winning the strength battle, by the time he realised himself the guy was running into our box and a weak tug on his jersey was never going to be enough.  

Houston was right on the line so I presume he was concerned about conceding a penalty which I do kinda get - it wasn't a do or die take the penalty situation like a handball on the line or something.  

3 goals conceding which were pretty avoidable, 1st one was iffy defending from Musonda, 2nd was an Ayr United classic from our own corner... and the 3rd was pretty comical from McGinty, at worst if he's got round you pull him back to stop him going into the box ffs. 

If you're coming back from 2-0 down to level we should really be making sure we see the game out/hang on to make sure we go away with the point, which in the face of things wouldn't have been a bad result with what happened elsewhere. 

Bit annoying there's not another league game for another 2 weeks cause the cup game will be a different team i'd imagine. 

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

A training ground maneuvere gone wrong. It was horrific, Reading has to riffle it or we are in big trouble. I doubt we'll be attempting that corner routine ever again. 🤦‍♂️

The problem I saw from the Rovers end for the corner was the lad floated it to Reading, that just gave all the defence a chance to get there first and break. It was a poor delivery and it made it a very poor attempt at execution. 

I think folk say it every year but given the nature of how ourselves and Partick threw points away yesterday shows how tight this league is going to be. It was looking like Arbroath and Cove could’ve been cut adrift prior to yesterday but both have clawed back a bit.

5 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Conceding more goals than the opposition is a risky game strategy IMO. 9 times out of 10 if you score less goals than the opposition, you will lose the game.

Surely 100% of the time if you concede more than them, you lose.

Highlights are grim viewing. Yes, Musonda is culpable at the first for being rolled too easily but how far was the Raith player allowed to run before passing it to the scorer? We just backed away from the ball carrier and not for the first time over the last few seasons. Second goal was like the penalty the soapdodgers got in the last minute at Somerset last October. Corner to Ayr, we make an arse of it but rather than taking a yellow to stop the break we let them run the length of the pitch without a challenge. Learned nothing and utterly ridiculous defending. Third goal is a riot. WTF is McGinty doing and why does nobody push out to close down either the first or second effort? Again, if you look at the goals we have conceded over the last few years, failing to close players down is a worrying trend.

Fringe players on Thursday. The decent back 4 in the next league game. Kirk, Houston, Musonda and Reading works and they will get better the more they play together. Stop pissing about making unnecessary changes.

We were always going to lose a game at some point but must admit I didn’t expect it to be yesterday. Especially frustrating as after we got it back to 2-2 I expected us to go on and win it. Don’t understand why he decided to change a defence which had won three games in a row and generally looked pretty solid although I’ve heard Kirk was carrying a knock however if he wasn’t fit he shouldn’t of been on the bench.

I’m not going to be overly negative though as it’s been a very decent start to the season. If you told me after the league cup campaign that 7 games in we would be sitting 2nd top then I’d of called you mental.

As much as I want to have a run in the challenge cup I’d still make a good few changes on Thursday. I’d be looking at starting something like: McAdams, McAllister, Musonda, McGinty, Ecrepont, Mullin, Murdoch, Bangala, JML, Young, Akinyemi. 

Ultimately the challenge cup is a waste but we also want to get back to winning ways so I wouldn’t be changing too much for next week. Maybe consider starting Young, Mullin, Bangala and Kirk in place of McKenzie, Ashford, Murdoch and McGinty.

5 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I’m not going to be overly negative though as it’s been a very decent start to the season. If you told me after the league cup campaign that 7 games in we would be sitting 2nd top then I’d of called you mental.

That league cup campaign was diabolical. I genuinely thought Bullen had managed to make us worse than last season. It definitely looked like he had.

Yet, here we are. What a strange game this is.