The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

16 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Partick will be the biggest test so far although we said that about Dundee and we managed fine against them. After that it’s just Raith and Caley. Raith appear to be in a bad way after a poor summer of recruitment and Caley are still our bogey team despite beating them up there last season. I’d be content with 5 points from those three games tbh although 6 would make me very happy.

It’s way too early for any of us to be getting carried away one way or the other. Six games in and some Arbroath fans wanting DC sacked, after our loss to QP some of our fans saying next games were must wins, its bonkers.

Ayr have made a superb start and are clearly the team to beat at the moment, however I think towards the end of second round of fixtures is a more realistic benchmark of league table. That’s when suspensions, injuries etc kick in and most clubs in our division have 1 or 2 players they really miss when not available, just look at Arbroath without Tam O’Brien.

Saturday is going to be a superb occasion really looking forward to it and just glad it wasn’t one of the games changed to a Friday night. Although BBC Sportsound will probably allocate 2 minutes to this game in between copious hours of mundane ugly sisters shite. 

22 minutes ago, Vinnyjag said:

It’s way too early for any of us to be getting carried away one way or the other. Six games in and some Arbroath fans wanting DC sacked, after our loss to QP some of our fans saying next games were must wins, its bonkers.

Ayr have made a superb start and are clearly the team to beat at the moment, however I think towards the end of second round of fixtures is a more realistic benchmark of league table. That’s when suspensions, injuries etc kick in and most clubs in our division have 1 or 2 players they really miss when not available, just look at Arbroath without Tam O’Brien.

Saturday is going to be a superb occasion really looking forward to it and just glad it wasn’t one of the games changed to a Friday night. Although BBC Sportsound will probably allocate 2 minutes to this game in between copious hours of mundane ugly sisters shite. 

Your point about Sportsound struck a chord.  Is it just me or are they largely ignoring the lower leagues on a Saturday afternoon these days?  I got in the car about 5 after the game at the weekend and I don’t think I heard a single after match interview or even comment about any of the games.  The replacement for Richard Gordon is dismal - all he seems to do is shout and bark like he’s hosting a midweek phone in on Radio Clyde.

12 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Your point about Sportsound struck a chord.  Is it just me or are they largely ignoring the lower leagues on a Saturday afternoon these days?  I got in the car about 5 after the game at the weekend and I don’t think I heard a single after match interview or even comment about any of the games.  The replacement for Richard Gordon is dismal - all he seems to do is shout and bark like he’s hosting a midweek phone in on Radio Clyde.

To be fair to the guy, he had a very disappointing Saturday.

46 minutes ago, Nelson said:

The BBC SportScotland twitter feed only give score updates on the premier now as well. 
it has became Radio Clyde this season 

Kenny Macintyre was a poor choice he's not a presenter he's a provocative journalist at best. They used to do a program on a Tuesday about the championship leagues 1 & 2 which at least showed some interest. Tried a few of the various football podcasts but most are about one club rather than the leagues below the SPL.  

3 hours ago, Nelson said:

Macintyre's a worse host (and doesn't bother trying to do regular updates instead of keeping up some banal debate), but then Richard Gordon was superb. In terms of Championship coverage they're always limited by how many of the old boys can be persuaded to put the trip on expenses: Ayr are actually luckier than some in that regard as one or the other of Chick Young or Derek Ferguson usually raise their hands for games at Somerset.

8 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

They seem to salivate over Dundee for some reason - was the same IIRC last time they were down.

Did they do the same with Killie last season?  I can’t remember.

They always cream themselves over the "big" team in the league, which is typically whoever came down the previous year. 

47 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

They seem to salivate over Dundee for some reason - was the same IIRC last time they were down.

Did they do the same with Killie last season?  I can’t remember.

Our match against Dundee was an Ayr love in on TV at least. 

Which is equally shite. 

Edited by itzdrk

5 hours ago, Ayrmai said:

Kenny Macintyre was a poor choice he's not a presenter he's a provocative journalist at best. They used to do a program on a Tuesday about the championship leagues 1 & 2 which at least showed some interest. Tried a few of the various football podcasts but most are about one club rather than the leagues below the SPL.  

Don't think they have nearly as much coverage these days. Mainly would just be on podcasts the next days walking to work I would listen but we only seem to get them now on match days. Pre covid there was a Scottish football podcast everyday based on the sportsound show.  Your right that Macintyre is quite provocative which worked ok on a non match day where they were having more in depth discussions but he just doesn't suit the Richard Gordon role someone like Jane Lewis would have been better for that. Think since BBC have grovelled to rangers so they can get access again they have become somewhat neutered in giving insightful coverage.

The terrace podcast is very good on the lower leagues. Like the tv show they give fair coverage of the lower leagues. Thursdays they do an episode that focuses on the lower leagues. If you get Shaughan McGuigan and Craig Telfer on together its a great listen. They did a big season preview podcast covering championship to league 2 and it was 4 hours long.

The SPFL themselves could be a lot more joined up especially the lower leagues get either at round up tv show or youtube show each week. The womens league do it so no reason its not achievable. 

14 minutes ago, grazza said:

The SPFL themselves could be a lot more joined up especially the lower leagues get either at round up tv show or youtube show each week. The womens league do it so no reason its not achievable. 

I think there is a weekly round up of the lower league highlights on the SPFL YouTube channel. Just the goals usually. Usually uploaded midweek.

Agree on the Terrace, usually fairly good stuff on the lower league especially if it's Telfer, Shaughan or some of the other lower league voices that pop up occasionally.

Edited by AuAl