The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Not totally convincing but good enough even if it could have gone either way against Morton. Charlie was verging on MotM for a spell....until we scored. That's two wins against two more-than-decent teams - can we make it a hat-trick of those against Whistle? A week of waiting to find out will feel like a month.

Longer term, it will be interesting to see how the likes of Bangala, Mullen and Young get on trying to win a starting position. All three would appear to have the pedigree to make an impact and possibly change the style (so we don't get predictable) as the winter matches approach. If we get the win on Saturday, the feeling of something happening down our way will become very apparent - not getting carried away though and I'm certain Bullen isn't either. Lovin the feel-good whatever.  

If Arbroath could sustain their challenge last season, then I see no reason why we can't this season and I'd also say the league in general is even weaker this season than last.

I also think that we've put together a pretty decent squad with quality cover all over the pitch, as it stands we've got McAdams, McGinty, McAlister, Bangala, JML, Mullin and Brad Young as good and potentially good cover plus the young guys like Ecrepont, Smith and Bryden all more than capable of doing a job  if and when required.

I've also not seen us being dominated or outclassed by anyone so far and in reality we could and probably should have beaten both Arbroath and Hamilton so given what I've watched up to now I can really see no tangible reason why we CAN'T challenge for the league title and at worst finish in the top 3 or 4.

2 hours ago, Iain said:

It's too early to think about winning anything. In fact it's probably unfair on the team to set expectations too high and judge results against them. Happy to enjoy the good form while it lasts.

Exactly ! I like Bullens philosophy don’t get too high when winning and too low when losing , we are performing really well at moment but will hit bumps on the way , as the club said on last weeks press conference let’s wait to January before we really judge ourselves , but keep enjoying it whilst we are getting the results 

1 hour ago, Finlay21 said:

Exactly ! I like Bullens philosophy don’t get too high when winning and too low when losing , we are performing really well at moment but will hit bumps on the way , as the club said on last weeks press conference let’s wait to January before we really judge ourselves , but keep enjoying it whilst we are getting the results 

The irony being that had we lost our 3 away games and managed only a win and a draw or two from the first 3 home games then many on here would have us already relegated, Bullen hopeless and the team a shambles.

As such I'm going to FULLY enjoy our 100% deserved start to the season and despite what some say I honestly can't see any reason why we should be talking ourselves down or feeling that that we're in any way lucky to be in the position at the top of this league that we're currently in.

Yes, there is of course a long way to go but anyone who's watched us and watched the opposition seriously can't be making a case that we shouldn't be in the place we're in or have any chance of sustaining it. The team are solid, we've got strength in depth and we've thoroughly deserved the points we've amassed plus possibly a couple more.

Losing Dipo to injury would of course be a major issue but then again we don't know what to expect from Young.  Bangala is another one who could potentially improve us even further and Mullin is a class operator at this level who comes with a pedigree of goals, creating goals and  a quality set piece delivery.

My glass is most certainly half full at the moment and is also sitting with a nice frothy head on it !!

Three more games and we've played everyone, nothing much to fear so far, just ridiculously cramped seating. 

Partick will be the biggest test so far although we said that about Dundee and we managed fine against them. After that it’s just Raith and Caley. Raith appear to be in a bad way after a poor summer of recruitment and Caley are still our bogey team despite beating them up there last season. I’d be content with 5 points from those three games tbh although 6 would make me very happy.

6 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Winter, injuries, potato field, will be the bigger tests to come...

I think this side can adapt to that unlike our silky lightweight McCall super side.

41 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

he irony being that had we lost our 3 away games and managed only a win and a draw or two from the first 3 home games then many on here would have us already relegated, Bullen hopeless and the team a shambles.

You are saying this line we weren’t a complete bin fire last season and weren’t an embarrassment in the league cup. 
Did Bullen and the team deserve criticism? Yes

You can’t say people were wrong to criticise because we have gone on an unbeaten run, we were shite and all criticism was fair. 

The league cup was only 6 games ago so there is a good balance of surprise, enjoyment and cautious optimism with a measure of knowing how this can end up pretty quickly. 

When we eventually get beat, we have  to keep standards high and not do what we did last year and follow it up with another one, not sulk and talk about journeys and expectations being to high. We have shown we can compete and we need to keep doing it until we are safe in this league then look where else we can go. 

28 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

You are saying this line we weren’t a complete bin fire last season and weren’t an embarrassment in the league cup. 
Did Bullen and the team deserve criticism? Yes

You can’t say people were wrong to criticise because we have gone on an unbeaten run, we were shite and all criticism was fair. 

The league cup was only 6 games ago so there is a good balance of surprise, enjoyment and cautious optimism with a measure of knowing how this can end up pretty quickly. 

When we eventually get beat, we have  to keep standards high and not do what we did last year and follow it up with another one, not sulk and talk about journeys and expectations being to high. We have shown we can compete and we need to keep doing it until we are safe in this league then look where else we can go. 

#BELIEVE

Edited by WATTOO

40 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Any ayr fan looking for a beer and something too eat should try skinny malinkies sports bar in Arthur Street  great food and some nice ayr utd memorabilia on the walls including david castillas gloves. 

That the place that used to be ASK (Arthur Street Kitchen)?

That the place that used to be ASK (Arthur Street Kitchen)?

Used to be the Buf. They’ve still got the one in Prestwick though. Hopefully with the new name the drug scene will be a bit less prevalent although it’s still the same people running it so who knows.

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Used to be the Buf. They’ve still got the one in Prestwick though. Hopefully with the new name the drug scene will be a bit less prevalent although it’s still the same people running it so who knows.

Sadly every pub in Britain experiences drug problems. 

4 hours ago, WATTOO said:

The irony being that had we lost our 3 away games and managed only a win and a draw or two from the first 3 home games then many on here would have us already relegated, Bullen hopeless and the team a shambles.

If Ayr were at the bottom of the table instead of the top, the stupid fickle fans would want it changed! Imbeciles!!

If a hiding at the weekend would put you back in your fucking box the club would have to seriously consider it.

30 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Sadly every pub in Britain experiences drug problems. 

tbqh Ayr is in such a desperate mess as a town these days that it's unsurprising that drug use in the pubs is hilariously conspicuous.

5 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

It was a drug haven when it was McArthurs too - got to launder that money somehow! 

19 hours ago, Iain said:

It's too early to think about winning anything. In fact it's probably unfair on the team to set expectations too high and judge results against them. Happy to enjoy the good form while it lasts.

Totally agree, every club is currently in the race to 40. Once you hit that point it is time to re-evaluate. If we are on it by Halloween, it will be hard not to be looking up.  Just now I think most people would bite your hand off for a playoff berth.