The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

That's the beauty of the two year deal it's gives us that flexibility to either extend or sell we all know if we pick up one of these unpolished diamonds they are not going to with us 5 or 6 years but we now know we also benefit if another club comes in, look at Shankland he's cost about £1.5 in his last two moves, Forrest was smart and ran down his contract but according to transfer market he's worth over £600k, lets enjoy Dipo, Ben, Paddy potentially Bangala as long they are here with the knowledge that when they go we will get some investment back.

Feet on the ground time. It’s only a few weeks since we booed them off at half time in Stenhousemuir. We will have some great performances like last night and some not so great but what a start to the season it’s been.

Bullen out, Bullen genius. Rollercoaster so far. One things for sure it isn’t boring.

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

I'd like to see us try and extend O'Conners deal soon, He was a big part of last night going forward.

The cross in for the third goal was a great bit of work as he looked completely boxed in at the corner flag.

Wonder if Bullen will rotate again for next Saturday. Morton don't seem to be scoring many goals but not shipping many either, if we can get past them and Thistle without a loss then it will be a very good start and hopefully one or two more players in by that time.

Watched the recorded sportscene coverage from last night.

Watching Houston's goal back you see details that you didn't necessarily process in the pace of the match. What a beauty of a goal. Houston's run, Dipos layoff and the shot with its curl away from the Dundee goalie to the bottom corner.

Dipos 2nd was also a delight to watch, he fair smashed it in.

Thought every player played well and did their jobs. Have to give McKenzie and Houston major credit. Not always been a big fan but thought they were both excellent last night. McKenzie is getting good at winning the ball back up the field.

20 minutes ago, Oceanlineayr said:

Watched the recorded sportscene coverage from last night.

Watching Houston's goal back you see details that you didn't necessarily process in the pace of the match. What a beauty of a goal. Houston's run, Dipos layoff and the shot with its curl away from the Dundee goalie to the bottom corner.

Dipos 2nd was also a delight to watch, he fair smashed it in.

Thought every player played well and did their jobs. Have to give McKenzie and Houston major credit. Not always been a big fan but thought they were both excellent last night. McKenzie is getting good at winning the ball back up the field.

I was watching the game on the telly with my dad (who is a Dumbarton fan, and whose birthday is today, incidentally). He missed the third goal because he was looking at his phone but shat a brick because I shouted "OOO YA FUCKER WHAT A FINISH" at the telly. 

17 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I was watching the game on the telly with my dad (who is a Dumbarton fan, and whose birthday is today, incidentally). He missed the third goal because he was looking at his phone but shat a brick because I shouted "OOO YA FUCKER WHAT A FINISH" at the telly. 

I have to ask why is your old man a Dumbarton fan? Why are you an Ayr fan? And why weren’t you at the game?

It’s a hard to remain calm after that performance last night. It epitomised everything you want from a football team. Players covering every blade of grass but also showing great skill at times. Two centre backs who start every attack and don’t hoof it. Midfielders who press constantly, do all the dirty work but are simultaneously really classy players. Full backs full of confidence with license to get up and support attacks. Jordan Houston was a man devoid of confidence and looked a dead cert to be leaving at the end of his contract. Had a torrid time of it under three consecutive managers and I genuinely thought there was no way back for him. For him to stride up the park and score that goal showed the mental improvement of the guy because we’ve all seen him show how good he can be when he first arrived. It was brilliant to watch and I think he deserves huge credit for fighting back to get back in the team. Bullen also has to be commended as I think man management is a huge part of who he is as a person let alone a manager. You’d be lucky to find a striker in this league who could finish like that let alone a right back.

A great team performance and I think after five games the vast majority of supporters are back on side. Was going to be very hard to win them back after that league cup display but 3 wins and 2 draws playing the kind of stuff we have is definitely the way to do it. We can get carried away all we like but I don’t think the players will be. Bullen won’t allow it. Survival is still the aim for him and we’ll see where we are come January imo. Hopefully we’ve still got loads to play for come then.

5 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I have to ask why is your old man a Dumbarton fan? Why are you an Ayr fan? And why weren’t you at the game?

He's from Clydebank and used to go to Dumbarton games with my Grandpa. 

I am an Ayr fan because I live in Ayrshire, and my other Grandpa was an Ayr fan and took me to games when I was younger.

In some parallel universe, I'm posting shite in the Dumbarton thread instead.

3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

We still need bodies in this week regardless of how well we are doing, maybe even allowing 1 or 2 of the younger players to go out on loan to play regularly. 

I strongly believe the time to get bodies in is when we are doing well. A team that's playing well are relaxed about new players coming in and the new players themselves will feel under less pressure to perform. 

The heat of battle has subsided so now's the time to comment on last night's match. To be fair to Dundee, they weren't that bad but losing Luke when they did upset their flow - he played a big part in their goal and would probably have limited Houston's forays up the park if he had stayed on. As for us, I was very impressed by Frankie and Alex in the middle at the back - both got stuck in and defended well most of the time with Charlie weighing in when we needed him to. One memory was in the first half when Alex hit a 75 yd pass from around the right back position to the left wing that landed at Daire's feet on the left wing and in the other half - totally deliberate and I honestly can't remember any centre back in many years of supporting AU trying that nevermind doing it! Frankie's distribution is usually very good too and I wonder if this has influenced Bully's selection of those two ahead of big Sean? As for Dipo, I honestly thought we 'd struggle without Tomi up front - doesn't look that way now! His physicality is a major factor in his game and his second goal shows that in spades - he fends off the attentions of his marker, makes space and  belts into the top corner - absolute gem of a goal and the place went wild. Top marks to everyone, especially Dempsey and Murdie, though it's worth repeating what's been said already i.e. everyone played their part. 

Well done, Ayr United. You made me proud again. 

24 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

I strongly believe the time to get bodies in is when we are doing well. A team that's playing well are relaxed about new players coming in and the new players themselves will feel under less pressure to perform. 

Also, I think players would be more inclined to join a team who are at the top of the league. Being a winning team demonstates that what the club is doing is working, and would go a long way towards convincing players to join us.

It's easier to sell the club to potential players when they're up the top of the league and playing well than when they're scrapping to stay in the league.

I think we need at least another striker and an attacking midfielder this transfer window. As it stands, we are an injury or two away from being significantly weakened - up front especially.