The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I see Stephen Kelly has one of the goals for Rangers Colts or whatever they are called, currently pumping Dumbarton 7-0 in the Diddy Cup.  

I’m sure he’s developing loads slumming it at that level and playing perma losers each week.

2 hours ago, AYRSHIRE_ANGUS said:

I see the squad and staff were at Hawkhill today having a laugh at the bowls. After the golf day it looks like they're making use of local sports facilities to promote a good atmosphere amongst the squad. Who knows, one day they'll maybe get good weather for it!

LazerQuest at L.A Bowl next week I heard.

1 hour ago, ComradeDiego said:

Am sure the pool of players in Montserrat isny that big, even back then 

My Dad worked in Montserrat in the late 60's & 70's.  In those years it had a population of about 12,000 but the volcano there destroyed much of the populated part of the island causing folk to leave the island and reducing the population to about 3,000.  I played football there as a youngster in the 70's and there were about 6 teams in a league then (say 100 players in total).  The island team played against the other small islands and against the Royal Navy ships that visited the island a few times a year.

In 2002, Montserrat, played in Bhutan to decide the lowest ranking international team in the world.  Montserrat lost though the islanders struggled with the high altitude.  There was a film made about the game called "The Other Final"

I don't think there are many teams on the island nowadays however Montserrat competes better than before.  They now chose players who's family originated in Montserrat and pick players from the UK.  One such player is Lyle Taylor who plays for Notts Forest  but also played for Partick Thistle and Falkirk. They are managed by ex Scotland and Man City player Willie Donnachie.

I am sure Ayr looked an another Montserrat player (not Mendes) a few seasons back but I struggle to remember his  name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montserrat_national_football_team

Edited by stevep56

My Dad worked in Montserrat in the late 60's & 70's.  In those years it had a population of about 12,000 but the volcano there destroyed much of the populated part of the island causing folk to leave the island and reducing the population to about 3,000.  I played football there as a youngster in the 70's and there were about 6 teams in a league then (say 100 players in total).  The island team played against the other small islands and against the Royal Navy ships that visited the island a few times a year.
In 2002, Montserrat, played in Bhutan to decide the lowest ranking international team in the world.  Montserrat lost though the islanders struggled with the high altitude.  There was a film made about the game called "The Other Final"
I don't think there are many teams on the island nowadays however Montserrat competes better than before.  They now chose players who's family originated in Montserrat and pick players from the UK.  One such player is Lyle Taylor who plays for Notts Forest  but also played for Partick Thistle and Falkirk. They are managed ex Scotland and Man City player Willie Donnachie.
I am sure Ayr looked an another Montserrat player (not Mendes) a few seasons back but I struggle to remember his  name.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montserrat_national_football_team

We had Brandon Comley on trial last season who is an international for Montserrat. Now plays for Walsall.

Thanks D'Jaffo,  that's the guy I was thinking about.  Do you know what happened with him at Ayr - Walsall are a pretty decent standard !  

He’s only been there a month or so and is already earning rave reviews from the vast majority of Walsall fans whilst being racially abused by one during a match.

No idea what happened at Ayr. Think he was maybe short on fitness and we went ahead with McInroy.

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

As others are saying nothing will happen with the loan market up here until the last few days next week, presume the window shuts next Wednesday?

I read somewhere that the window has been extended by a day, and will shut a week on Thursday.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Doubts over O’Connors fitness for Friday and we’re hoping Mitchell-Lawson is back as well although he’s been training. If both are out then it really leaves us short and lacking width.

I was talking to him at full time on Saturday and he seemed fine / buzzing, unless he's picked up something in training then hopefully it's only a slight knock that won't stop him for Friday.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Doubts over O’Connors fitness for Friday and we’re hoping Mitchell-Lawson is back as well although he’s been training. If both are out then it really leaves us short and lacking width.

Both have trained and seemed ok yesterday not to say they are both 100% fit though , Brydon though looks doubtful short term 

Time is running out in this window . Surely somebody has a name to be shared in our striker hunt ? I see Dundee are ready to punt Byrne , supposed to be a good player ,would he be of interest to us or is Dunfermline  or Raith more his bag ?

1 hour ago, Dauntless said:

Time is running out in this window . Surely somebody has a name to be shared in our striker hunt ? I see Dundee are ready to punt Byrne , supposed to be a good player ,would he be of interest to us or is Dunfermline  or Raith more his bag ?

I'm sure we'll get someone and with a decent budget to spend and a recent history of decent acquisitions, then I don't think we should be too worried at this stage.

It might be someone unknown to us again but if they turn out like Tomi or Dipo then I wouldn't class that as such a bad thing !!

The stuff going on off the park is really amazing. All the building blocks are being put in place for us to be successful (hopefully) long term. Who knows what will happen on the park this season, but a top half finish, and maybe even a playoff will definitely keep the core fans coming along and attract new supports/stay away supporters to attend. Win win.

From the home games so far, I’ve seen loads of old faces that I’ve not seen at Somerset in years, and I’ve got mates who are making more of an effort to come along. My wee brother is a goalkeeper playing in the 09s and 10s and I’m so glad he’s at Ayr after playing for Rangers for a few years. I’m quietly confident we’ll him in an Ayr first team in the future…