The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think they’ve got any issues identifying players. I fully believe that they could go out and sign someone who was playing in the Conference last season if they wanted to. Likewise they could also go and sign some random OF youngster if they really wanted to. The issue seems to be that they know they need a specific calibre of player and are choosing to wait for them to become available. This is a potential issue when we go into the last week of the window and are then left scrambling around looking for one of the two types of players I mentioned above.

This just seems to be the nature of the beast nowadays, as most clubs seem to be in the same boat.

We did manage to do quite a good bit of business early on and obviously tried to get Sibbald, McInroy and Adeloye, so nobody can accuse them of not trying.

Worst case scenario we might have to go looking down south again but if the recruits are of the calibre of Dempsey, Dipo or Tomi then don't think anyone could have too many complaints !!

20 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

This just seems to be the nature of the beast nowadays, as most clubs seem to be in the same boat.

We did manage to do quite a good bit of business early on and obviously tried to get Sibbald, McInroy and Adeloye, so nobody can accuse them of not trying.

Worst case scenario we might have to go looking down south again but if the recruits are of the calibre of Dempsey, Dipo or Tomi then don't think anyone could have too many complaints !!

Was speaking to one of our players and he said he was extremely impressed with your centre forward in the first game of the season. Boys a handful

I'm still relatively calm over the whole situation.

We've still got Connor McLennan (Aberdeen), Logan Chalmers (Dundee United), Robbie Crawford (Free), Charlie Telfer (Free) and Stephen Kelly (Rangers) who've not moved on to new clubs yet so i'd hope we'll end up with at least one of these guys...

38 minutes ago, rb123! said:

We've still got Connor McLennan (Aberdeen), Logan Chalmers (Dundee United), Robbie Crawford (Free), Charlie Telfer (Free) and Stephen Kelly (Rangers) who've not moved on to new clubs yet so i'd hope we'll end up with at least one of these guys...

Robbie Crawford has signed for Morton so that's one of those away

36 minutes ago, rb123! said:

I’m relatively calm as well, while we have a fully fit squad and keep picking up points.

There was a Christmas window a few years back where we and 3 other clubs needed a forward and there were 4 available, Shankland and Loy were two of them, maybe Bob McHugh. there was this kind of roulette to see who could get the best one and we ended up with El Alagui.

As good a player as he is, I don’t think Crawford was the style of player we needed, so I’m not overly bothered about that one. Good signing for Morton though.

Realistically, it is down to McClennan and Chalmers then as the only two known good signings - I imagine both will have other offers. I think we’ll end up with about our tenth choice tbh. 

Disappointed we haven’t signed Crawford.  Very underrated player, probably because McCall played him out of position so much.  Would have been a good addition given how wafer thin our squad is - I think we’re basically betting the farm that Bangala proves to be the quality in midfield that we are current lacking, which is a concern given no one at the club has ever actually seen him play and there is apparently no guarantee when or if he will secure a visa.

Bit bemused at what our signing strategy is at this point - we seemed to spend the Summer chasing players like McInroy and Sibbald who were never realistically signing for Ayr.  Now we’re turning our noses up at experienced players like Allan and Crawford, which is surprising given we’re a club that has squeaked our way to survival for the last two seasons.  Not only are we not signing these players, they are strengthening our immediate competitors.

20 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Disappointed we haven’t signed Crawford.  Very underrated player, probably because McCall played him out of position so much.  Would have been a good addition given how wafer thin our squad is - I think we’re basically betting the farm that Bangala proves to be the quality in midfield that we are current lacking, which is a concern given no one at the club has ever actually seen him play and there is apparently no guarantee when or if he will secure a visa.

Bit bemused at what our signing strategy is at this point - we seemed to spend the Summer chasing players like McInroy and Sibbald who were never realistically signing for Ayr.  Now we’re turning our noses up at experienced players like Allan and Crawford, which is surprising given we’re a club that has squeaked our way to survival for the last two seasons.  Not only are we not signing these players, they are strengthening our immediate competitors.

Who said we turned our nose up at them ? Arbroath said a number of clubs in Scotland had shown interest in him , who says we were not one of them ? Our recruitment team have got us some decent players so far this season can’t see them not getting players that suit the positions we require , just because they are not throwing names around in the press does not mean they are not talking to players , most of the players we have signed this far have only been  revealed very close to being announced 

The thing with Crawford would have been that he'd be just playing for a jersey with Dempsey, you aren't playing the two together unless you are humped with injuries.  

1 minute ago, Finlay21 said:

Who said we turned our nose up at them ? Arbroath said a number of clubs in Scotland had shown interest in him , who says we were not one of them ? Our recruitment team have got us some decent players so far this season can’t see them not getting players that suit the positions we require , just because they are not throwing names around in the press does not mean they are not talking to players , most of the players we have signed this far have only been  revealed very close to being announced 

Time will tell i suppose - if we sign Stephen Kelly then no one will be talking about Robbie Crawford.  

The bottom line for me is that the current team is no better than the team that hirpled to survival last season, which doesn’t reflect well on the recruitment.    If anything, I would argue the team is slightly worse given we haven’t directly replaced Mcinroy, Muirhead or Maxwell..  Dipo looks excellent, but with the loss of Adeloye, we are still In the same position in that we only have one proven goal scorer on our books.  I worry that teams will work that out pretty quickly and look to crowd Dipo out the game.

Bangala will hopefully turn out to be an inspired signing, but as Bullen said at the vision night, he doesn’t know the player and they’ve taken a risk on him based on a recommendation from one of his Sheffield Wednesday contacts.   

Musonda is good on the ball but flatters to deceive when it comes to defending, which possibly isn’t a shock given the Raith fans tell us he was 3rd or even 4th choice at centre back for them last season.  JML has been anonymous so far, save for a bright 10 minutes against Arbroath before they started kicking him - I think he might have more to offer as part of a front 3 rather than wide of a midfield 4.  I’ve seen nothing of Kirk, so don’t know what he has to offer.

I hope we have a few irons in the fire, because save that daft 45 minutes against Queens Park, we’ve looked like a hardworking team with little attacking quality in the midfield and limited firepower up front.

8 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

The thing with Crawford would have been that he'd be just playing for a jersey with Dempsey, you aren't playing the two together unless you are humped with injuries.  

You could play a midfield 3 of Murdoch, Dempsey and Crawford though, which I thought was the shape of team we were heading towards I.e. 4-3-3.  I guess one of those would drop out and provide cover if Bangala turns out to be a real find.  If I’m honest, I think Dempsey has been very up and down this season and his use of the ball is no better than Murdoch’s, so not convinced he’d get a game ahead of Crawford.

3 minutes ago, Nelson said:

You could play a midfield 3 of Murdoch, Dempsey and Crawford though, which I thought was the shape of team we were heading towards I.e. 4-3-3.  I guess one of those would drop out and provide cover if Bangala turns out to be a real find.  If I’m honest, I think Dempsey has been very up and down this season and his use of the ball is no better than Murdoch’s, so not convinced he’d get a game ahead of Crawford.

You would have no balance to the midfield if Dempsey and Crawford were in it as they do the same job.  

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

You would have no balance to the midfield if Dempsey and Crawford were in it as they do the same job.  

So drop one and (hopefullyj play Bangala with Murdoch.  The other can provide cover.  The only real alternative we have at the moment Is Smith - I wish the lad nothing but good things, but he hasn’t done enough yet to suggest we can really depend on him if the likes of Murdoch gets injured - same goes for Hewitt and Bryden.  

The problem we have is that most teams are playing 3 in the middle at the moment, so Murdoch and Dempsey are often being outnumbered.  On top of that, the options we’ve tried wide of a 4-4-2 have thus far proven to be pretty ineffective.  Hopefully the 3-5-2 experiment from the league cup has been consigned to the tactical dustbin.  As I say, I really thought the “plan” was to transition us to a 4-3-3 setup, hence the signing of JML and Dipo and the retention of O’Connor and Ashford.

I take the point that I don’t know what is going on behind the scenes, but I’m not sure what would be more concerning - a) that our coaching team looked at Allan and Crawford and genuinely thought they wouldn’t improve us or b) we did go for them and lost out to Morton and Arbroath - would make the talk of signing mcinroy and Sibbald look even more unrealistic.

3 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

A massive sign of relief on that one. 

Yeah i will be interested to see if he can actually nail down a starting spot at Morton. Out of his total career its probably a low number of seasons where he would be considered a first choice pick. For the 6-8 games a season where he did turn up he could be on a different level but never followed up with any consistency. Perhaps Morton can get his career going again