The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Let's face it guys, Allan is based out in the east and he wouldn't be keen moving himself down to Ayr when he is settled through there. I am disappointed he's signed for another team in our division but i can only assume we spoke to him and he didn't want to move house, fair enough. I think the guy is a class act but it remains to be seen whether he plays much with his health issues. He also said he needs six games to get up to speed, I'm certain this will be even longer given he's going to be part time.  Hopefully we get some better news soon. 

And leave ourself with a Morton situation last year where they only had 1 goalkeeper? 

McAdams is a far better goalkeeper than Albinson and suspect he’ll regain his place back at some point. 

Stick a youth player on the bench. It’s what most clubs do. Just get an emergency loan if need be. McAdams is no where near a “far better goalkeeper” than anyone. He’s bang average for this league and makes himself look better by being a decent shot stopper. Albinson is pretty average too but is more well rounded and can at least kick the ball over the halfway line.

One thing that might have factored into Allan going to Arbroath is that I heard when he re-signed for us that Muirhead was happy to stay at Ayr part time but was told it had to be full time, and he's PT at Firhill (well, not right now, he's injured for 2 months). 

The guys we've brought in so far have all been excellent as far as I'm concerned, so I'm happy to put my trust in Mathie, Glendinning, Bullen etc that they'll manage to get us another 2 or 3 players and that those players will be better than we already have.

The "knows the Scottish game" thing should be completely ignored as Dempsey and Dipo look a cut above anything that we could have signed in Scotland and JML could prove to be well above this level also with a fair run of games and confidence on his side, so "knowing the scottish game" doesn't appear to have hindered any of them.

Time will tell, but I'd say we're in a pretty good position squad wise and assuming we can add a quality striker (for this level) and a decent attacking Mid, then things will be looking very good indeed......

54 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Let's face it guys, Allan is based out in the east and he wouldn't be keen moving himself down to Ayr when he is settled through there. I am disappointed he's signed for another team in our division but i can only assume we spoke to him and he didn't want to move house, fair enough. I think the guy is a class act but it remains to be seen whether he plays much with his health issues. He also said he needs six games to get up to speed, I'm certain this will be even longer given he's going to be part time.  Hopefully we get some better news soon. 

Are we assuming it’s Edinburgh where Allan lives? It’s as long to get to Arbroath from there as it is Ayr.

6 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Are we assuming it’s Edinburgh where Allan lives? It’s as long to get to Arbroath from there as it is Ayr.

They train in Perth though I believe , travel to Ayr 5 days a week or Perth 2 nights a week 

Edited by Finlay21

5 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

I think they are training in Perth and it's twice a week versus 5 times. 

I'm baffled anyone thinks the squad is fine as is. Even more so if that is Bullen's view.

There is no depth an injury to Dipo and Murdoch and we'd be in trouble. Murdoch may lessen a bit when Ghost arrives. However, without Dipo I expect we'd be struggling badly to break teams down. We need a striker and an attacking mid as a minimum imo.

The squad also needs a mix of age (it is a young squad) and experience of Scotland. Pretty sure Bullen said as much. Hence fans are expecting some experienced Scottish players. The club set that expectation.

As it is, I expect it may well be old firm loans and we'll be hoping for those of the ilk of Kelly and McInroy as opposed to a Barjonas or Afolabi.

Scott Allan is a cracking signing for Arbroath.  Maybe we did make an offer and missed out - I’d be shocked if we didn’t even look at him given how poor our midfield options are.  The squad just looks so threadbare as well - we seem to be counting youth players like Smith and Hewitt who have yet to prove they can really cut it. 

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Albinson actually comes to collect crosses unlike McAdams, who’s about 5 feet tall, but McAdams makes some good reflex saves which is enough to fool folk on the terraces.

I stood next to McAdams in the hub, I'm over 6 foot and he's taller than me. I'd say he was about 6'4" 

He's deceptively small, especially when a cross comes in to the box.

8 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

I stood next to McAdams in the hub, I'm over 6 foot and he's taller than me. I'd say he was about 6'4" 

He's deceptively small, especially when a cross comes in to the box.

He looks absolutely totey (for a keeper) on the pitch. As you say it must be all the time he spends hiding from crosses.

Both our keepers are decent at this level and I don't believe there's that much between them, McAdams is utterly hellish at cross balls though and tends to create havoc in the defence with his either staying on his line or coming running out with a poor punch, on the other hand he's probably a better shot stopper than Albinson but overall I always feel a bit safer with Albinson there (although that can soon change). The bottom line for me is that neither are anywhere near as good as Ross Doohan, however we'd probably struggle to improve much on them and both are competent enough. 

It's also no secret that if we're signing more players, then it needs to be in the forward and creative areas as we're still woefully short as we all know only too well.

At the moment Mckenzie looks fine as a backup striker and Bryden is still learning, same can be said for Paul Smith in Midfield although he also has promise but for the here and now we definitely need at least 2 bodies in (not including Bangala) who are going to be better / more experienced at this level than the 3 guys mentioned and they also need to be looked upon as certain starters.

If the rumours are true then we had a budget to sign one of Sibbald or McInroy and also Adeloye, so that being the case that same budget should still exist as we haven't added anyone since, so basically there should be a very good chunk of money to at least bring in one quality permanent signing and even 1 or 2 quality loans if need be.

I could be totally wrong, but at the moment I'm assuming that the issue is not so much the budget but more so actually identifying someone that we can spend it on !!

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I could be totally wrong, but at the moment I'm assuming that the issue is not so much the budget but more so actually identifying someone that we can spend it on !!

This would be understandable at some stages in the past, but they're literally paying a guy a full time salary to identify potential signing targets.

I don’t think they’ve got any issues identifying players. I fully believe that they could go out and sign someone who was playing in the Conference last season if they wanted to. Likewise they could also go and sign some random OF youngster if they really wanted to. The issue seems to be that they know they need a specific calibre of player and are choosing to wait for them to become available. This is a potential issue when we go into the last week of the window and are then left scrambling around looking for one of the two types of players I mentioned above.