The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I really hope we aren't content with the current squad based on the last 3 games. Results can go south pretty quickly, an injury to any of Murdoch, Dempsey, Musonda, McGinty or Dipo for more than 2 weeks and we will be struggling. We have one left back who has played at this level, two right backs. This squad isn't as imbalanced as Hopkins squad but it is absolutely threadbare. 

A defeat on Saturday and an injury to a key player and we'll be left, dick in hand, fishing about whats left in the last 10 days of the window when we have had 4 months to get players in. 

I'm not bothered about Allan not signing in particular, I am more concerned that we will not sign anyone because we have been to slow or that a philosophy may impact our ability to actually sign any player ever again. Allan is the type of player we should have been after.  

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Either that or they naïvely think that after 3 reasonable results the squad is in a reasonable place and they don’t need anyone in. 

This is my concern. We're going to end up with Bangala as our lot if we're lucky.

7 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Results can go south pretty quickly

This is absolutely true and I think made even more risky due to the home form being so bad (2 wins from 13 games in 2022 by my reckoning) meaning while we have started OK, we are still only one or two defeats away from a lot of fans starting to seriously show frustration / anger.  Defeat to Cove for example and there's huge pressure to somehow turn that horrific home record round, against the title favourites the week after.  

Edit - of course before anyone points out, if we can beat Cove then we are going into the week before the transfer window sitting in 3rd place at the absolute worst so surely could be using that as something to sweet talk possible signings with 

Edited by Hursty

My concern is a player of his calibre and experience ends up at Arbroath  more than 6 weeks since competitive football started , tells me there are potentially  issues  be that fitness or financial that a lot of clubs don’t want to deal with 

Definitely think there is a reason he's not ended up with a bottom half prem team or the likes of Dundee or ICT at the end of the day no one is signing a lot of players just now I think there could be a right free for all in the last week of the window hopefully we come out of it with what we need.

10 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

My concern is a player of his calibre and experience ends up at Arbroath  more than 6 weeks since competitive football started , tells me there are potentially  issues  be that fitness or financial that a lot of clubs don’t want to deal with 

He’s not signed for us because we’ll be offering peanuts while expecting players to buy into this project Mathie talks about. 

7 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

I agree with his, there are risks signing him due to his fitness. He is another player that fits the bill in terms of what we are looking for that can be ticked off the list though and we are running out of time. 

As far as I can see, only Robbie Crawford and Allan were the two remaining, experienced midfielders left without a club. Thats before looking at any other position. 

Would a semi-fit Scott Allan be better than nothing? of an 18 year old on loan from Hibs/Hearts/St Mirren/Aberdeen ?

3 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Definitely think there is a reason he's not ended up with a bottom half prem team or the likes of Dundee or ICT at the end of the day no one is signing a lot of players just now I think there could be a right free for all in the last week of the window hopefully we come out of it with what we need.

Like the Shankland signing, he had played for these teams and they weren't in a rush to take him back. The next natural step would have been Ayr, Morton, Raith before trying the full time teams in league 1. 

Part time will maybe allow him to take a breather more but play every week and make himself more attractive to clubs next summer. 

Maybe we just don't want another central midfield player?  Got 4 already in Dempsey, Murdoch, Smith and Bangala (if he ever arrives).   

IF that's the case and that we are likely to stick along the lines of a 442 that we've played in the opening games (which I'm not against) then it's incredibly important that we get the right addition to play the role Bryden and McKenzie have shared so far.   

Will be a stand out at this level though if fit. 

Edited by Hursty

9 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Like the Shankland signing, he had played for these teams and they weren't in a rush to take him back. The next natural step would have been Ayr, Morton, Raith before trying the full time teams in league 1. 

Part time will maybe allow him to take a breather more but play every week and make himself more attractive to clubs next summer. 

Supposedly Hartlepool are showing interest in him