The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

44 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You couldn’t fault Albinson for any of the two goals.

From where I was standing it looked like the ball was in the air for ages for the 1st, very similar to last week where he should have done better (the official highlights don’t show the angle well, but Mattman’s vlog shows that he was basically on the ground before the ball had even hit the net). The second today looked like it it went through his hands? I’m not saying he should be dropped, but I’m interested to see the 2nd back.

Overall I’d say it’s a frustrating point.

Bullen’s substitutes were dreadful and for whatever reason he started playing for the draw. I can totally understand McAllister’s annoyance at being taken off. Ashford should have been taken off. And McKenzie should have went off before he did.

The first half and the start of the second we carved them open playing the ball on the deck through the middle, why we started pumping it up to a lone Dipo I’ll never know. We should have been well clear by HT. 

Looking forward to a great away trip up to Cove next week! I think we’ll get 3 points up there. 

Edited by Ayr23

In fairness, other than the missed penalty, Ayr should have won that today. Daire O'Connor looked fantastic with a ball at his feet and there was a lot of great passing.

Then, for reasons beyond me, Ayr started playing Hoofball again 🙄. Both of Ayrs goals today we're after playing from the ground and starting an attack.

Albinson looked okay today, dare say McAdams wouldn't have done better. Goals weren't his fault.

McKenzie shouldn't be starting, too many mistakes and looked out of his depth for almost the entirety. JML doesn't look at all built for Scottish football, I could have farted in the north terrace and he'd have fallen over, would have scored a belter had he have been built less like a fourteen year old.

Last criticism is of Sean McGinty. Takes too long to make decisions and continues to give away the ball.

McAlister looked decent today though. Akinyemi must scare the shit out of some defenders, boys built like a tank!

3rd in the league after 3 🤔 Really need another striker.

Dipo does miss a lot of chances. Quite often they are chances created by himself, as his all round play is excellent. We seem to say it every week, but he could easily have had a hat-trick today. See we had 18 shots, 9 on target, which is becoming our norm. If only we had a good finisher. 

Some harsh comments about Albinson. Didn't think he was to blame for either goal today, but would have to see them back. He certainly wasn't to blame for the Thomas goal at Ochilview. The official highlights had an excellent angle, and when the ball left his foot it was going about 2 yards wide of the goalie's left hand post. It then curled in to the top corner. A brilliant shot. Shades of Roberto Carlos, but without the velocity. The Hamilton first goal was almost identical.. The defence needs to be getting closer to these players when they cut back on to their right foot. On the bright side, it's unlikely the opposition are going to score worldies against us every game. 

40 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

The first half and the start of the second we carved them open playing the ball on the deck through the middle, why we started pumping it up to a lone Dipo I’ll never know.

High up the park was a lonely Dipo 
Lay ee odl lay ee odl lay hee hoo

Hahaha, nearly wet myself reading folk blaming the keeper for the goals, I'm not buying it. 

I was waiting for JML to come on and was surprised to see Smith. McKenzie is forced out wide and we seem to be playing for a 1-1 draw, totally bonkers from Bullen. 

What a strike from Shagger Murdoch though, it was the only way we were going to score. 

The biggest surprise for me was how good McKenzie was as a striker today. At least in the first half. Looked the perfect foil for Dipo but he won’t score many. Absolutely wasted out wide but I think he can offer something through the middle when he’s used as a target man.

Mitchell Lawson shouldn’t have been dropped though. Accies had zero pace in defence and he could really have taken advantage of that. O’Connor is decent but doesn’t have his turn of pace and isn’t half as good on the left as he is on the right. Until we get a couple of new recruits I’d keep the starting 11 as it is with the exception of JML for O’Connor.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

The biggest surprise for me was how good McKenzie was as a striker today. At least in the first half. Looked the perfect foil for Dipo but he won’t score many. Absolutely wasted out wide but I think he can offer something through the middle when he’s used as a target man.

Mitchell Lawson shouldn’t have been dropped though. Accies had zero pace in defence and he could really have taken advantage of that. O’Connor is decent but doesn’t have his turn of pace and isn’t half as good on the left as he is on the right. Until we get a couple of new recruits I’d keep the starting 11 as it is with the exception of JML for O’Connor.

As I said, we tore them apart in the first half and at the start of the second. Their defence was looking bad, but I thought the pairing was looking decent. Dippo should have buried his chance 1 on 1 in the first half but probably had too much time to think. Same with JML later on in the second half. I think we’ll stay up this season, maybe with a push for 4th.

3 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

As I said, we tore them apart in the first half and at the start of the second. Their defence was looking bad, but I thought the pairing was looking decent. Dippo should have buried his chance 1 on 1 in the first half but probably had too much time to think. Same with JML later on in the second half. I think we’ll stay up this season, maybe with a push for 4th.

The way he brought the ball down on his chest and set himself up for that chance was absolutely fantastic. He creates so much for himself out of absolutely nothing. The thought of him with some quality alongside is frightening...

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

The way he brought the ball down on his chest and set himself up for that chance was absolutely fantastic. He creates so much for himself out of absolutely nothing. The thought of him with some quality alongside is frightening...

Absolutely! There was a moment in the second half where he had his shirt or arm pulled but he kept going. Tomi would have flung his arms in the air in a strop and the attack would have been over.

31 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

McKenzie played well first half, although should have scored and he is a definite upgrade on Bryden. Still think we need better as a consistent starter though. I’m still hoping for a 4-3-3 

We will be absolutely fine this year which is refreshing after the last couple of seasons. You can see the team has been conditioned to run and run all day and it’s good to see Bullen is getting his way across.

Akinyemi is like a carbon copy of Adeloye for me. Creates chances for himself, holds up the ball pretty well but just cannot finish. The one he put onto the Somerset Road was probably worse than the penalty.

Dropping JML was the wrong option as he is definitely the most creative. 4-4-2 with JML and O’Connor wide with McKenzie and Akinyemi up front is what I’d like to see providing one of the two wide players are comfortable enough on the right.

f**k all wrong with Albinson and McAdams has done nothing in an Ayr shirt to warrant a place over him.

12 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

We will be absolutely fine this year which is refreshing after the last couple of seasons. You can see the team has been conditioned to run and run all day and it’s good to see Bullen is getting his way across.

Akinyemi is like a carbon copy of Adeloye for me. Creates chances for himself, holds up the ball pretty well but just cannot finish. The one he put onto the Somerset Road was probably worse than the penalty.

Dropping JML was the wrong option as he is definitely the most creative. 4-4-2 with JML and O’Connor wide with McKenzie and Akinyemi up front is what I’d like to see providing one of the two wide players are comfortable enough on the right.

f**k all wrong with Albinson and McAdams has done nothing in an Ayr shirt to warrant a place over him.

I think there are similarities between Dipo and Adeloye, but Tomi probably better as a focal point for others to play off whereas Dipo is looking to run it behind or if he does come deep is constantly looking to turn and get at people. Dipo is a little like Nouble lite and has that chaos factor and must be a nightmare to play against. 

5 minutes ago, Ayrfix said:

I'm surprised there has not been more mention of Muirheads equaliser. It was a belter. If we could get a decent finisher to partner Dipo we would be fine, IMHO.

Murdoch*

And I agree, been pleasantly surprised by the first 3 games in the league. Not completely shite. We're nothing too special but I think we might be okay in all likelihood.

Edited by AuAl