The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

13 minutes ago, Hursty said:

I see we lost 3-2 to Partick in a friendly at Firhill yesterday - there are some highlights of sort on their Twitter page filmed from some unusual angles 

Was it not a reserve league game ? 

16 hours ago, RedEd said:

The rule isn't so much about clubs at our level streaming matches, it's there to prevent TV companies broadcasting games at 3pm. It existed long before streaming was a thing. It may change in the future, who knows? 

Spotify probably isn't the best example as artists receive a miniscule amount per stream. A song has to to streamed an awful lot for a reasonable amount to be made.

The artists got nothing when music was illegally streamed through Napster.  At least now they get something.  

That’s how it is with streaming for clubs like Ayr now.  It’s going to happen whether we like it or not, so they may as well take what revenue they can.  The 3pm blackout rule belongs to the pre-steaming age.   Not only is it easy to illegally stream, there is now a clear expectation post covid that games will be available to watch.  The genie is 1000% out of the bottle, but Scottish football will doubtless try and pretend otherwise for as long as possible.  The only ones who really suffer here are the auld yins who are genuinely not tech savvy enough to realise how easy it is to access games.

50 minutes ago, Nelson said:

The artists got nothing when music was illegally streamed through Napster.  At least now they get something.  

That’s how it is with streaming for clubs like Ayr now.  It’s going to happen whether we like it or not, so they may as well take what revenue they can.  The 3pm blackout rule belongs to the pre-steaming age.   Not only is it easy to illegally stream, there is now a clear expectation post covid that games will be available to watch.  The genie is 1000% out of the bottle, but Scottish football will doubtless try and pretend otherwise for as long as possible.  The only ones who really suffer here are the auld yins who are genuinely not tech savvy enough to realise how easy it is to access games.

Well that's largely because the SPFL insisted on installing this Pixellot thing in the Championship which virtually none of the club actually used (ICT used it for a season) and then the fact that it's uploading streams to the internet for use by betting companies etc meant they were freely hacked and streamed illegally. If there's no Pixellot then it simply WON'T happen. They can't illegally stream a match that isn't being streamed at all. One of the few bonuses of carelessly getting relegated is we no longer have Pixellot taking a feed from Palmerston and as we're not streaming games ourselves now, there's no stream. So you won't find an illegal stream from Palmerston either.

It would be perfectly simple to prevent streaming happening if there was an actual will to prevent it.

Conceptually I think streaming is a difficult issue. You are right in the blackout rule was never designed for this modern era. It was supposed to prevent live tv broadcasts from Saudi, etc of our domestic games causing people to sit in pubs and watch Liverpool, Man Utd, Celtic, Rangers, etc instead of going to watch their local side. It was never meant per se to prevent that local side itself from streaming to its own benefit. I think it's a worry that if Rangers can stream from Ibrox freely on Saturday at 3pm that we might lose crowd physically attending our games to that. We also may lose some home or away fans who would have had to make an effort to get there but won't bother making that effort if they can stream hassle free. However we'd also lose a potential market from exiles in the cities and England who simply can't get there. That's probably on balance a bigger number but it won't be the case for every club and it will partly depend on their geography.

It's also the case the these days with European games meaning fixture moves and virtually all of their away games covered live by Sky, the OF rarely actually play on a Saturday afternoon. Last weekend was a very rare case of both of them doing so.

Like I say it's not a black and white issue either way for me. It's too easy to say clubs are losing revenue and not consider what they might lose by allowing it both short and long term. There are also costs to streaming, especially if you don't have qualified volunteers willing to do it free. Clubs of our size won't necessarily be able to to it profitably on a commercial basis if they are paying money's worth costs for the production.

On balance at the moment I'm not averse to the domestic streaming ban, though as someone who due to family circumstances is now unable to get to about half of our away games, the streaming over the last 2 or 3 years has been a real bonus for me. Last weekend's game at Montrose was the first time in 3 seasons I've neither been at the game nor been able to watch a live feed and it was very frustrating.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

Seen a video there, Moffat, Ecrepont, Houston, McKenzie, McAdams etc playing so probably more or less a reserve team.

I really miss being able to shout "Get Moffat on" at games. Can we get him on the bench please?

15 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

nor been able to watch a live feed and it was very frustrating.

This is the biggest reason I think it will continue.

Last Friday I had accepted that I would have to watch for score updates on twitter like some kind of caveman rather than watch a stream. I was not able to go to the game but would have paid to watch a stream rather than try and make out what was happening on pixelot. 

If you watch the documentary on the downfall of tower records, The owner is convinced that they will not be impacted by music downloads because people want the experience of going to a record store and the social aspect of meeting people there. In truth it was less expensive and immediate to download music and people turned their backs on music shops. 

To use that as a comparison, are there people who would walk away from attending live home games and only watch the stream despite still being able to attend? I would suspect that the number would be very low. I think the majority of the uptake on streaming would be people who want to attend but cant and away support who can't travel for various reasons or have no intention to. 

46 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

To use that as a comparison, are there people who would walk away from attending live home games and only watch the stream despite still being able to attend? I would suspect that the number would be very low. I think the majority of the uptake on streaming would be people who want to attend but cant and away support who can't travel for various reasons or have no intention to. 

Aye that's the big question.   There's also a balance to be had in the pricing - Ayr were always getting stick for it being same price as a walk up entry rather than a tenner or whatever that some other clubs charged.    They wouldn't want to make it too cheap (in theory folk might decide not to go to game in shitty weather, 3 or 4 folk share a stream etc therefore club loses out) but set it too high and you maybe lose money on it.  

I don't know the answer - I do however know that for me personally, I'd be at as many home games as possible this season as a non season ticket holder, and the only ones I'd miss are if I happen to be away for weekend etc.   And there would definitely be away games where there is no chance I can justify the expense of the bus / beers / missing other things in morning or evening but would definitely pay for the stream.  Cove in a couple of weeks a perfect example.  

20 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

A great guy but not a great footballer. I wish him well with whatever he does now.

Absolutely. A terrific guy and also scored the equaliser v Inverness that meant we didn't lose in my sons first ever game, so will always be grateful for that one haha. 

4 minutes ago, Hursty said:

Absolutely. A terrific guy and also scored the equaliser v Inverness that meant we didn't lose in my sons first ever game, so will always be grateful for that one haha. 

He was also fucking brilliant for the ten minutes he was on the pitch in the final derby and nearly scored the greatest goal ever scored in a football match.