The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

One other thing about the 2 league games so far.

Bookings/Red cards - Ayr United 0/0 Opposition 7/1.

That's not something we've been used to in recent times - suspensions more than injuries have disrupted our plans far too often imv. Long may that continue (though I wish someone had crunched that fanny Murray on Friday evening 🤭).  

8 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Remember last season and all the flak about McGinty playing as our first choice centre back. Now he’s first name on the team sheet 😂

I'll admit to thinking McGinty was rancid at first but I think having Frankie Musonda has helped him out considerably.

Glad it is going better for him, met him in the club shop during the open day and he seemed a really approachable and friendly guy.

Edited by Oceanlineayr

McGinty and McAllister come backs are up there with Jesus coming back. Was up there as their harshest critics, but Bullen has got them to a level that we needed. Yes McGinty can have the odd brain fart, but all defenders at this level do, hence why they play at this level. I/we maybe don’t give Bullen enough credit for his man management with these type of players who he has improved. 

The McGinty redemption story is quite something.  Stink the championship out for 3 years and then we sign him and he stinks out our place as well. Then he had a really nice Christmas or something and it's only been wee mad moments every now and then like you'd expect of a championship level defender.  

He absolutely shouldn't be here but it became fine that he is :lol:

4 hours ago, North British said:

I think these kind of signings may come in good time , maybe after the North Bank is finished .

One would like to think that Ayr United might think of signing some players in the next 18-24 months yes.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

McGinty and McAllister come backs are up there with Jesus coming back. Was up there as their harshest critics, but Bullen has got them to a level that we needed. Yes McGinty can have the odd brain fart, but all defenders at this level do, hence why they play at this level. I/we maybe don’t give Bullen enough credit for his man management with these type of players who he has improved. 

I'm still no there with McCallister yet, he's under the better but probably still not good enough bracket for me.  

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

I/we maybe don’t give Bullen enough credit for his man management with these type of players who he has improved. 

That's probably because "only concede three goals every other week instead of every single week" is not quite the Lazarus-esque transformation that McCall did on Shankland.

McGinty has moved out of the "replace immediately" bracket. That's great. He's learned to jump. Gold star. Both the player and the manager deserve recognition for this progress. He's still in his twenties and he's on a long-term contract. This is all good. This is the vision in action. The vision is not glamorous. It is not horsing Dundee United five-zip at their own ground on live television. It is coaching former Alex Ferguson signings to be able to track a ball in mid-air. It is going fucking mental at a 92nd-minute winner against Queens Park. It is what it is. I hope it works.

4 minutes ago, Thumper said:

That's probably because "only concede three goals every other week instead of every single week" is not quite the Lazarus-esque transformation that McCall did on Shankland.

McGinty has moved out of the "replace immediately" bracket. That's great. He's learned to jump. Gold star. Both the player and the manager deserve recognition for this progress. He's still in his twenties and he's on a long-term contract. This is all good. This is the vision in action. The vision is not glamorous. It is not horsing Dundee United five-zip at their own ground on live television. It is coaching former Alex Ferguson signings to be able to track a ball in mid-air. It is going fucking mental at a 92nd-minute winner against Queens Park. It is what it is. I hope it works.

I love this post. I hope it works too. We shall see.

I think people down playing the win at QP a tad frustrating.... They have a decent side and budget.... Big lad at the back is a Nigeria international.... Simon Murray is a premiership striker(Scotland obs) and Don Thomas from what u hear turned us down...... Defo not a shite amateur team they once were... 

Edited by OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton

44 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I'm still no there with McCallister yet, he's under the better but probably still not good enough bracket for me.  

I'm more in the 'absolutely fucking miles better' and reckon he will kick on camp.  Reminds me of Nicky Devlin.

Don't even see it as a comeback as such, he was signed as a raw but energetic young right back then missed the entire pre season and eventually got a few games in a rotten side as a centre midfielder which he was clearly miles out his depth as. 

I think what frustrated me most about McAllister before we loaned him out was how much of a shitebag he could be. When things were going against us I felt he would actually try to hide and avoid the ball/tackles. Maybe not a completely unique thing to do but it was very obvious with him.

Seems to have come back with a new lease of confidence. Hopefully it continues.

Nick Mcallister has done really well in the two league games so far, it’s a bit early to judge give him another couple and we will se where he is. 

the quality in the league seems to have dropped this year with everyone seeming to be struggling to bring in the right players so this may also aid players like Mcallister and mcginty and their improvement 

7 hours ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

I think people down playing the win at QP a tad frustrating.... They have a decent side and budget.... Big lad at the back is a Nigeria international.... Simon Murray is a premiership striker(Scotland obs) and Don Thomas from what u hear turned us down...... Defo not a shite amateur team they once were... 

the sopranos smoking GIF

I think we all just need to accept that ALL our players are limited hence the reason they're with us in the first place, they will all make mistakes and they'll all be inconsistent as that's what you get at this level of Football unfortunately.

It's fine to talk about Shankland, Rose and Forrest etc, however they were exceptional for this level, hence one of them has commanded a £1 million transfer fee, international caps and is now at one of the countries top clubs alongside his former team mate at Ayr. Rose is playing in a mid table English Championship side and would undoubtedly command a transfer fee in the millions also if leaving tomorrow.

Our current side is made up of guys trying to prove themselves, guys trying to recover their careers and guys who are probably accepting that this is their level, It's probably a pretty good mix to be honest as they're all young and SHOULD have plenty of improvement and hunger in them.

I honestly think that as fans we need to be patient and probably a bit more understanding of the fact that we'll lose daft goals, we'll lose games and we'll miss chances that's just the way football is at this level.

I also think it's a bit strange that people downplay the likes of Arbroath and Queens Park when both totally deserve their place in this league and both have squads which are every bit as good if not better than most others. Ironically, had we taken 4 points from our first 2 games against the likes of Dunfermline and Falkirk or even QOS, then I'm sure lots of people would see it as a much better achievement but that's football for you I suppose.

Anyway, good start irrespective of what anyone says and should we get Bangala in this week along with some other attacking reinforcements then we really should be filled with hope and confidence for the season ahead.....

19 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I used to hate the guy but he's been a lot better this calendar year. 

There were 2 or 3 performances in that last run of 10 from McGinty that made me think there was a player in there somewhere last season. The arrival of the headband/Terry Butcher look seemed to increase his confidence 10 fold. In the Queens game in particular I reckoned he was easily the best defender we had on the park. I think Bullen gets him, there were comments about him being genuinely surprised that Baird was dropped instead of him as he thought he had been gash. Given the criticism he's had since arriving in Scottish football his confidence must have been in the gutter for a long time. 

I'm not suggesting we won't see his drop clangers but, if his confidence is high and he keeps up this form I'm far more confident with our backline than last season. 

When you think things are bad... 

Take a second and think it could be worse.... We could be Falkirk.... 

Shocking again from them... 4 nil defeat to a bang average Airdrie side...... That's poor

Tipped to do well every season and end up utter shite.... And they are throwing decent money about as last season proved

25 minutes ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

When you think things are bad... 

Take a second and think it could be worse.... We could be Falkirk.... 

Shocking again from them... 4 nil defeat to a bang average Airdrie side...... That's poor

Tipped to do well every season and end up utter shite.... And they are throwing decent money about as last season proved

I just don’t get it with Falkirk.

It seems like a protracted sequence of bad choices and appointments for a club with a healthy support and financial backing.

I suppose, just look at Man Utd

Edited by AUFC 1910

I think we are all guilty (myself included) of constantly comparing the brilliant Shankland era with every other team we've had since then. Totally agree about tempering expectations, however it is quite hard to do as football supporters!

Also, FALKIRK 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Shibuya