The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Well quite concerned going in today, but have to say every single player worked there socks off for Bullen today not a failure except young Bryden, his touch and control are nowhere near good enough, can’t fault the boy for work rate and we know Bullen loves that. Another decent forward today and we win that lost count how many times the youngster gave the ball away , not his fault should be nowhere near the team at this time.

SURELY we can pick up another decent forward and an attacking midfielder, get that and we will be fine, and man of the match was spot on McAllister was very good but so were most of the rest.

Funny to see Dick haranguing the ref at the end to blow his whistle, he knows he got out of jail today with a draw.

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Bullen commented that he thinks we will click, I don’t with the players we have. We are very easy to defend against.

100%.

It's not even like Gaston had to make some worldie saves, they were all straight at him. I don't think Bryden, Dipo & Ashford will get 12 league goals between them if we keep playing like that. Ashford's finishing is particularly dire.

A striker and a creative midfielder are an imperative. On the upside, we may not need a right back - McAllister had a very good game. I genuinely didn't realise Bobby Linn was playing until half time as McAllister had him in his pocket.

Edited by Trogdor

Apparently we’ve spoken to Poplatnik and he supposedly put the welcome to Scotland sign up on his insta story earlier so I’m just putting 2+2 together and probably getting 5. 
Ticks a few boxes knows the Scottish game and in particular the championship, different to what we currently have and at 30 brings a bit of life experience to the squad but would it not be the same as the Bangela situation and he would need a work permit?

I thought Poplatnik was bang average at Raith tbh and not what we need. If there’s any substance to the Rooney rumours then I’d go all out for him.

Poplatnik is an okay alternative I suppose.

Ticks a few boxes knows the Scottish game and in particular the championship, different to what we currently have and at 30 brings a bit of life experience to the squad but would it not be the same as the Bangela situation and he would need a work permit?

Surely can’t be an issue if he got one for Livingston when he first came over?

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Surely can’t be an issue if he got one for Livingston when he first came over?

Mind we had Brexit 'implemented' since then though.

I don't really rate the guy tbh.

46 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

....Including 2000+ Dundee United fans. You had better attendances last season 

1600 united fans to be exact

only game we had bigger attendance last season was the Arbroath game….that’s when we won the league…

8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’ll only get that through consistently playing in games though. I agree that he isn’t fully ready although there’s already a bit improvement from last season. If we can get a striker in then I’d go back to using him for the last 15-20 minutes of games.

I completely agree with you tbh. 

I actually enjoyed today’s game - it was just nice to see an Ayr side with a bit about them who weren’t going to accept getting bullied. 

McAllister is the type of player you absolutely want to do well, and I hope he continues his form from today. Bar two poor passes he was fantastic. 

Dipo is definitely better deeper/out wide. He is a strange player, did numerous things very well but was poor in other aspects. He is definitely a handful and could do well in the right combination. 

A striker and a creative central midfielder and we’ll be fine, I think! 

17 hours ago, Nelson said:

I think football clubs in Scotland have been very slow to recognise and understand the implications of Brexit when it comes to player signings.  

The days when you could sign an Alain Horace on a Thursday and have him playing on the Saturday are long gone.  I heard Derek McInnes making the point that we’re now seeing a clear trend of promising youth players being pilfered by English clubs, precisely because it’s becoming more difficult to bring in the equivalent from abroad.  All very sad really - guys like Horace and Frank Rolling really lit up the place and that’s basically a market that’s almost closed off now as it just isn’t sustainable for Ayr to be paying wages to a guy that has to wait 8-10 weeks and more for a visa (with a risk the application will be turned down altogether).

I think this is all very true although not sure its so much that clubs themsrlves have slow to recognise it (though that is possible) but certainly fans havent. There are FAR more Scottish players and indeed managers (Hartley) moving into English football's lower leagues now and filling some of the gaps caused by the absence of easy recruited French  Dutch, Scandanavian players etc. There is an inevitable knock on effect on our own lower league clubs. Less players are available and those that are have plenty of clubs to choose from.

The source of players from the EU in effect no longer exists for clubs at our level, at least not easily. The 'Exceptions Panel' and work permit route is a costly and time consuming process. I remember being pretty surprised when Ayr announced Bangala and presumed he somehow had a British passport or residency option (British wife for instance) when he was announced.

On 29/07/2022 at 21:22, THEHonestman1910 said:

I'm in a doubt about this now...

When other teams in Scotland sign players outwith the UK, it doesn't take them 2 months to get them playing (if we will ever see him). 

I think it largely does. Unless they are full international level players who get a wave through work permit.....

On 30/07/2022 at 01:09, Roxanne's man said:

Would that be different for say a Celtic or Rangers? Would they, being bigger teams, get over that hurdle quicker?

Its different for them not because of who they themselves are but because of the standard of player they tend to sign. Full internationals for decent countries are expedited with automatic work permits. Ayr United dont sign full French internationals though and Rangers dont sign David Bangala types. 

On 30/07/2022 at 03:11, D'Jaffo said:

The Bangala situation is frustrating at it would be interesting to know if Mathie and Bullen would’ve pursued the deal if they knew how long they’d have to wait for him. There’s really no blame to be attached to the club here as they’ve done everything asked of them AFAIK. The issue for the player himself is he’s done zero ball work with the rest of the group so there’s a bit of catching up to be doing and secondly, the situation has put a fair bit of pressure on him given how long we’ve waited to see him. I’ll be content if he can add something to our midfield that we didn’t already have and it’ll be interesting to see where he fits in. Hugely frustrating situation all round but it just ties in with everything else that’s been going a bit wrong recently.

There's no 'blame', the process takes as long as it takes and there's nothing the club or even the football authorities can really do to speed that up. This isnt a new process though and whilst I'd assume Bullen probably isnt conscious of it, I'd be astonished if Mathie wasnt well aware how long it was likely to take before they signed him. Its exactly the same process as has existed for over a decade for non EU players. We went through the same process for Kevin Dziersawski from the US about 7 or 8 years ago. Had to go through a work permit tribunal, then the player had to fly home to the US to wait for an appointment at the British Embassy for a visa to be issued. It can only be issued in country of origin. Took about a month or so then and I imagine the volumes they deal with are much higher now. Your (current / former?) coach Derek Stillie is an expert in immigration law and was involved in our application process. 

In his report Campbell saying we are a lot better than last year, and had to defend for their lives to get a point, interesting to hear what another manager thinks about us, and sending off was a stonewalled saved his side losing the game.

19 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

In his report Campbell saying we are a lot better than last year, and had to defend for their lives to get a point, interesting to hear what another manager thinks about us, and sending off was a stonewalled saved his side losing the game.

I think rather than us being better than last season it’s more that Arbroath are way worse than last season. Bottom 5 for both teams unless a few rabbits are pulled out the hat. Both teams could play all year and not score.

I always like when we get a result that lots of people didn’t expect , it’s always the other team were poor , maybe it’s because they were maybe  closed down , not allowed lots of time they got on the ball last time , Arbroath have come off 4 wins in the cup including a win at a Premiership clubs ground ,

With poplatnik will he not have pre-settled/settled status as he was in the Uk before brexit and is an EU national. So we may not have to go through the same hoops as Bangala.  

for me he is an option but if had the choice I’d go for Rooney. He had scored many more goals at this level and higher and feel he’d be the better choice