The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Love how we are obviously such a massive club that we can treat the league cup as nothing more than a glorified friendly for Bullen to experiment on.

Title run incoming.

All the other teams were match ready and trying very hard so that explains it  

9 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Has a team ever been booed onto the pitch ahead of their first league game? 

It's not the players fault that we've been unable or unwilling to sign any creative Midfielders or additional Forwards.

Say what you like about this bunch, but you certainly can't fault them for their effort or workrate.

42 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

I am glad my cup is half full ,Bullen has tried every player in the positions he wants to play them , tried them in optional positions , not played the same 11 twice , I believe it’s down to him getting ready for his first real competitive game tomorrow, I will reserve my judgment to after QP game as I think all our squad will be here by then 

I get where you're coming from but I personally feel like that is more LB not having a bloody clue what his best team is at the moment. He has flip-flopped between goalkeepers, played wildly different formations, played youngsters out of position and eked out a single goal in three matches against lower league opposition.

I hope to hell you are correct and we will see the finished article tomorrow afternoon!

I really don't understand the league cup group stages are a friendly mentality. Getting out the groups alone is worth another signing atleast and then everything from that point is gravy from a budget perspective. As a fan I want to see cup runs, watching midweek games under the floodlights is what got me hooked as a fan. 

2 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

I really don't understand the league cup group stages are a friendly mentality. Getting out the groups alone is worth another signing atleast and then everything from that point is gravy from a budget perspective. As a fan I want to see cup runs, watching midweek games under the floodlights is what got me hooked as a fan. 

In years gone by we always had a "real" pre-season where we'd play teams from the English 2nd and 3rd tiers or we'd go up North on a week long trip or even play top class sides at home such as Unirea, however nowadays our "pre season" seems to be a few kickabouts against junior sides or youth sides and mostly behind closed doors, so I'm thinking that the League Cup has almost been put in place as a sort of "real" pre-season for the Managers to monkey around with their sides in a more competitive match setting.

I totally agree though, for any team to be using a major cup competition as almost like a pre-season friendly is pathetic, especially when it makes up a third of the major competitions that we enter.

12 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

We didn’t treat them like friendlies. It’s just something certain posters on here are trying to claim to try and save face that were Absoulotely miles off it.

Its got the “this is fine” meme written all over it. 

I am glad my cup is half full ,Bullen has tried every player in the positions he wants to play them , tried them in optional positions , not played the same 11 twice , I believe it’s down to him getting ready for his first real competitive game tomorrow, I will reserve my judgment to after QP game as I think all our squad will be here by then 

Tried all that and not one of the systems worked. Hope he has something else up his sleeve to try.

15 minutes ago, Death in Vegas said:

Tried all that and not one of the systems worked. Hope he has something else up his sleeve to try.

Like his arm ??

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

Just looking at purely numbers of players if you take out Moff and the youngsters (but include Hewitt, Smith, Ecrepoint and Bryden as likely to be first team) we are sitting at 20 players, we lost 10 players over the summer and replaced with 6 new signings, however as McAlister and MIller were out on loan thats maybe only a difference of 2 or maybe 3. As the 2 we have not replaced are McInroy and Adeloye surely there is money in hte budget for at lesat 2 dcent signings.

IF we get some of the fringe players out on loan that would maybe boost numbers also

I think it’s true we need to get out the fringe players and get in new signings with quality either on loan or permanently. Everyone can see that team needs at least 2 quality signings. If we offered Mcinroy and Adeloye decent money then that money must still be available. With the best will in the world McAllister/Hewitt and Mckenzie are currently not championship level. 

17 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

We didn’t treat them like friendlies. It’s just something certain posters on here are trying to claim to try and save face that were Absoulotely miles off it.

Its got the “this is fine” meme written all over it. 

We treated the Elgin game like a friendly as we played most of the fringe players and we played the game at walking pace.

The QOS game we took more seriously and actually played not too bad before losing a sucker goal which was totally against the run of play and then our keeper sold the next one, the 3rd was just a horrendous defensive disaster and ultimately we failed to convert any of our numerous chances.

The Annan game we were in complete control without ever really threatening in the final 3rd, however we also never looked like conceding a goal until McKenzies moment of madness.

St Johnstone I can't comment on as was not there.

Ultimately the two main missing ingredients in all of the matches were creativity and a fast tempo.

I could be completely wrong with this but it does look like we are waiting for a “surplus to requirements event” at other clubs as apposed to chasing free agents . Maybe more Cammy Smith and Josh Mullin.as opposed to Charlie Telfer and Gozie Ugwa ... Watch the egg splatter on my mug in the next few days .....

On the crowds/season’s debate , the Killie boy has a point we need to increase all revenue streams to raise the quality of 5he team . There is much more than ticket and season sales in play for this . The infrastructure improvements are really the key . Don’t let the potlickers fool you , Killie were every bit the same sort of basket case as us back in the mid 80’s . The Fleetings slid in and the old Rugby Park started to disappear and the pounds started to pour in . This is exactly what Smith is trying to do at Ayr . It won’t happen in the short term , it’s more a medium term project , but it is happening so keep the faith .

Arbroath at home tomorrow, can’t wait . Are they the team they were last season ? No Nouble no Hamilton . So maybe a little less class but they’ll still be down for a battle . Our guys will need to match that then take the chances that will come . 

Killie were every bit the same sort of basket case as us back in the mid 80’s.

Glad you brought this up as I’d had a look and noticed attendances were woeful 84-87 I think, had no idea why. A long time ago though. I think they’re Premier ‘pedigree’ has a lot to do with current numbers.

Edited by bazka6