The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Interesting debate on season ticket numbers. At last some are facing up to your core problem. The new Chairman is busting a gut to whip up some enthusiasm, but has had zilch response from the fan base. People wanting good signings in before they’re willing to commit like he has. Ever heard of chicken and egg? They need the funds and your commitment. Ayr and Kilmarnock, almost exact same populations, although with Prestwick, Ayr area far bigger. 4700 v 1000 season tickets. And before you say it, we sold over 4000 AFTER we were relegated in a miserable season. Tickets already sold for Saturday? 7000. You would expect a gulf, but not that big. Shocking comparison with Arbroath, with half the population. I wouldn’t blame Smith if he walked. 
I hate to agree with you but you have a point you go around Killie and you see plenty of folk in killie colours it's rare to see see in Ayr, it may be due to Killie being in the top league for 30 years and wining a cup of two but for decades it seams that a large proportion of the town don't give a care about the football club Smith and Mathie to there credit are trying to change that with the community engagement but that's not going to change overnight.

9 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Even if they are, the club has done almost nothing to make purchasing one either affordable or attractive.  

They already offer a half season ticket but only for the 2nd half of the season. 

If you can't/won't offer a facility where they can be paid up then maybe trying something else if you are setting increased targets.  £285 is a lot of money in one go for many people and half of that twice might be more realistic.  

A half season in the first half of the season is an interesting one, if they back themselves to get things right then surely it should be something on offer.. they are obviously scared that we are shite and people don’t renew in January but that is on them to get things right on the park. 

I would get a half season tbh, as you say it is a much smaller investment at once. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

A half season in the first half of the season is an interesting one, if they back themselves to get things right then surely it should be something on offer.. they are obviously scared that we are shite and people don’t renew in January but that is on them to get things right on the park. 

I would get a half season tbh, as you say it is a much smaller investment at once. 

The half season ticket for the first half is looking an increasingly unattractive proposition, considering it now seems unlikely that we'll be entering our new league season with a full team.

I know a lot of the issues seem to be outwith our control (as most clubs in this league seem to be in a similar situation), however we only have 18 home league games and if we're only getting a complete product for 13 or 14 of those games, then it would seem very hard to justify purchasing it from a marketing perspective, if this was reduced to 9 and we were playing with half a team for the first 2 or 3 matches, then again it would seem a rather poor deal from the customers perspective.

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

The half season ticket for the first half is looking an increasingly unattractive proposition, considering it now seems unlikely that we'll be entering our new league season with a full team.

I know a lot of the issues seem to be outwith our control (as most clubs in this league seem to be in a similar situation), however we only have 18 home league games and if we're only getting a complete product for 13 or 14 of those games, then it would seem very hard to justify purchasing it from a marketing perspective, if this was reduced to 9 and we were playing with half a team for the first 2 or 3 matches, then again it would seem a rather poor deal from the customers perspective.

It looks more attractive than a full season....

I would be willing to commit to a half season, and then if it is absolutely shite then pick and choose for the rest of the season. 

I agree with what you are saying though, I am very disappointed with how we are looking going into the first game. I’ll still be there on Saturday regardless though. 

Yeah Killie playing in the top flight for 30 years probably helps.  It's why clubs like mine, from a place with a bigger population than Kilmarnock, can't attract new fans.  You only get new fans if you're good.  Ayr bouncing between the 2nd and 3rd tiers for the last 30 years doesn't help, when just up the road Killie are playing Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen etc every season.  Who is the casual fan more likely to go and watch? Killie v Celtic/Rangers or Ayr v Airdrie/Raith?

Still a few fwd looking players unattached 

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas

Dylan McGeouch

Tom Rogic

Kevin McDonald

Florent Hoti

max biamou

Matej Poplatnik

Scott Allan

Harry Paton

Paton looks like the type of player we could do with wins the ball high up the park good pass on him, would probably have to pay him top of our budget which is always a risk. 

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I assume you're not aware of why he was released by County.

Forget about Paton, I'm sure we will have Rogic signed up by Friday night. 

30 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

They haven't done anything to make an 18 game one attractive either :lol:

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I assume you're not aware of why he was released by County.

I did mention on here the other day he's going through court for beating his misses but tbf probably got lost in amongst the drivel of whether Owen Coyle or Lee Bullen is better...

12 minutes ago, Ayrmai said:

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas

Dylan McGeouch

Tom Rogic

Kevin McDonald

Florent Hoti

max biamou

Matej Poplatnik

Scott Allan

Harry Paton

Paton looks like the type of player we could do with wins the ball high up the park good pass on him, would probably have to pay him top of our budget which is always a risk. 

Out of that list, two I would take are both unlikely to drop in to the Championship or if they did, sign for Ayr due to money or location. 

13 minutes ago, Ayrmai said:

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas

Dylan McGeouch

Tom Rogic

Kevin McDonald

Florent Hoti

max biamou

Matej Poplatnik

Scott Allan

Harry Paton

JET was possibly going to India from something I read earlier in the month. McGeouch could be a shout as it sounds as if he might be willing to drop a league as he's reportedly "open to anything", although I'm not sure if that rings alarm bells or not. 

21 minutes ago, Ayrmai said:

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas

Dylan McGeouch

Tom Rogic

Kevin McDonald

Florent Hoti

max biamou

Matej Poplatnik

Scott Allan

Harry Paton

Most seem like moon shots, sounds like Biamou is done

17 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Still think David Mayo would fit in behind Dipo and produce results. He's a free agent.

I still want us to sign Makepeace, so we can have Dempsey and Makepeace in the middle of the park.....

2 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:
4 hours ago, Rugbypark said:
Interesting debate on season ticket numbers. At last some are facing up to your core problem. The new Chairman is busting a gut to whip up some enthusiasm, but has had zilch response from the fan base. People wanting good signings in before they’re willing to commit like he has. Ever heard of chicken and egg? They need the funds and your commitment. Ayr and Kilmarnock, almost exact same populations, although with Prestwick, Ayr area far bigger. 4700 v 1000 season tickets. And before you say it, we sold over 4000 AFTER we were relegated in a miserable season. Tickets already sold for Saturday? 7000. You would expect a gulf, but not that big. Shocking comparison with Arbroath, with half the population. I wouldn’t blame Smith if he walked. 

I hate to agree with you but you have a point you go around Killie and you see plenty of folk in killie colours it's rare to see see in Ayr, it may be due to Killie being in the top league for 30 years and wining a cup of two but for decades it seams that a large proportion of the town don't give a care about the football club Smith and Mathie to there credit are trying to change that with the community engagement but that's not going to change overnight.

It's hard to argue that our season ticket sales are anything other than poor. Maybe Kilmarnock isn't a great comparison because they have been in the top flight for so long but surely we should be aiming for the same number sold as Raith or Falkirk (who have been garbage for some time now). I don't know what percentage of our season tickets are concessions, but if you assume 70% are full price then another 3000 season tickets would bring in nearly 800k which would get close to doubling our player budget. Even another 1000 would bring in 250k which after deducting VAT is still a solid increase. Whatever you think of the manager, being able to afford better players isn't going to make us worse.