The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, UpInTheAyr said:

That's 1000 season tickets now sold which isn't bad considering, no chance for 1500 though.

It’s okay but it’s not great. Arbroath have sold around 1200. I get they are coming off a very good season but it’s Arbroath ffs. 

26 minutes ago, rgreig said:

I don't think any reasonable person could disagree that our squad is currently weaker than last season.

The variable I don't know is how much wages have changed year on year in football? Are we able to assemble a decent squad with the budget we have? If it is true that we have lost out on several targets is that because we were naive or was it that competition increased wages more rapidly than we expected?

I don't believe this is budget related, I believe the budget is there but the players are not.

Remember, we offered a good deal to Sibbald which was knocked back, however these funds haven't yet been used, also we know we've got funds there for another striker so don't believe it's about budgets at this stage.

I agree though, that as we stand our squad is most certainly weaker than last season.

It’s okay but it’s not great. Arbroath have sold around 1200. I get they are coming off a very good season but it’s Arbroath ffs. 

Pretty much what I was about to post. Never thought I’d see the day where Arbroath sell more season tickets than us. There has been zero incentive for fans to renew or purchase season tickets since the disastrous League Cup campaign. The push towards 1,500 seemed reliant on us doing well in those games. I’m still on the fence whether to buy one or not, a signing or two this week would probably have persuaded me but it’s not looking likely.

8 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

1 minute ago, Ayr23 said:

Pretty much what I was about to post. Never thought I’d see the day where Arbroath sell more season tickets than us. There has been zero incentive for fans to renew or purchase season tickets since the disastrous League Cup campaign. The push towards 1,500 seemed reliant on us doing well in those games. I’m still on the fence whether to buy one or not, a signing or two this week would probably have persuaded me but it’s not looking likely.

I'd imagine that's a record for Arbroath but I'd also reckon that 1,000+ is pretty decent for us also. 

Given the size of towns and catchment areas then there's no doubt that Ayr and Morton are the two biggest underachievers in the league, however one or two good seasons won't change this and in fact the way forward is the club reconnecting with the community and giving the schools and local sports clubs free tickets etc and I think they're doing great in this regard.

Off the field things are going great and we really just need 2 big signings to change the entire mood ON the park, whether this will happen is another matter, however I live in hope....

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I think he went Ayr > Livi > Motherwell > Partick Thistle.

Yeah, he actually spent a year at Motherwell but split over two seasons by the looks of things. I felt for him at Firhill as McCall would play him out wide, even scored a decent goal from there in the playoff match vs ICT. He would be a decent signing for League 1 or lower championship IF he got a central midfield berth.

1 hour ago, ryanayr1987 said:

My argument to that is that this is probably our biggest budget in years 

Is it? 

The amount of targets we've missed out on would suggest otherwise.

I'm pretty sure we'd have been spending more money to get the likes of Shankland, Rose, Smith, Harvie, Kelly and Doohan at the club.

Just cause we're potentially getting a brand new stand at the cost of millions doesn't mean we're spunking big bucks on the playing budget

24 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'd imagine that's a record for Arbroath but I'd also reckon that 1,000+ is pretty decent for us also. 

Given the size of towns and catchment areas then there's no doubt that Ayr and Morton are the two biggest underachievers in the league, however one or two good seasons won't change this and in fact the way forward is the club reconnecting with the community and giving the schools and local sports clubs free tickets etc and I think they're doing great in this regard.

Off the field things are going great and we really just need 2 big signings to change the entire mood ON the park, whether this will happen is another matter, however I live in hope....

Considering our best year for season tickets in recent times 1250 , ( when Shankland was scoring for fun, we still could not get fans to buy a season ticket )  we will not be far off that come Saturday , if we had the season Arbroath have just had I believe we would be well over 1200, and if Arbroath had the season we just had they would be no where near 4 figures if you look at that way 

Edited by Finlay21

Still don't understand the 1,500 target.  There was literally nothing to it, no exciting team on the park or you get X or Y benefits for having it.  Just living off vibes and posting randomly "we are setting an ambitious target..."

They'd have been better keeping that as their target and not saying anything if they had nothing to offer. 

Is it? 
The amount of targets we've missed out on would suggest otherwise.
I'm pretty sure we'd have been spending more money to get the likes of Shankland, Rose, Smith, Harvie, Kelly and Doohan at the club.
Just cause we're potentially getting a brand new stand at the cost of millions doesn't mean we're spunking big bucks on the playing budget

I don’t think any of those players were on that much money though. All of them signed for us either on loan or when their stock was low so wouldn’t have commanded a huge wage. Smith is the only exception there but he signed late on in the window and probably didn’t have that many options at the time.

Last season was said to be our biggest wage bill for quite some time. Probably stretching back to the Barr days although it still won’t have been near that. I don’t think our issue is how much money Smith has given us. I think our issue is that players don’t view Ayr has a particular attractive option right now. To players in Scotland we’re viewed alongside Morton, Hamilton and maybe Raith in terms of teams in this league. Raith having the benefit of being up in the playoffs. We’re probably the last stop in FT football for them. It’s easier to get guys up from England, provided you can cover their accommodation, as they see Scottish football as being a stepping stone to bigger things. So yeah, Mathie is correct in saying he wants guys excited to come to the club. He’s not saying that there’s guys lining up desperate to come but he’s wanting that enthusiasm shown when we approach them as have discussions about the goals of the club. He’s also not saying that we’re turning away guys who aren’t desperate to come. Just that, we’re not overly keen on overspending on a player who’d rather go to Falkirk or Queens Park when they aren’t worth it. We’re not being cheap but we’re not being daft and giving more money to players that we don’t deem worth it. I don’t think this strategy will see us relegated as ultimately I think Mathie knows that if we get desperate then we might need to offer a bit more but I think it’s been our main tactic this summer, not to overspend too early on and try and build a core of a squad that both affordable and has players with potential and a desire to play here. It means we can be a wee bit more ambitious with our offers when we’re at the stage of only needing two or three more.

31 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Considering our best year for season tickets in recent times 1250 , ( when Shankland was scoring for fun, we still could not get fans to buy a season ticket )  we will not be far off that come Saturday , if we had the season Arbroath have just had I believe we would be well over 1200, and if Arbroath had the season we just had they would be no where near 4 figures if you look at that way 

We were 1200 last season too coming off a 7th placed finish 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We were 1200 last season too coming off a 7th placed finish 

So after having such a successful season last season you are saying that your sales  have not gone up !as you are saying last season you sold 1200 and you are currently around that this season 

5 minutes ago, CammyDick said:

according to an Ayr board member admin is real possibility with the rising energy prices hence the ambitious 1500 target. 

I don’t believe that  , the 1500 target is to increase the playing budget by a decent amount 

Edited by Finlay21

4 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

So after having such a successful season last season you are saying that your sales  have not gone up !as you are saying last season you sold 1200 and you are currently around that this season 

There’s still 10 days to buy. But yeah we obviously have a threshold, I am extremely confident they will go up from last years by the time next Saturday rolls around 

I’ve not got mine yet