The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Taking Mathie at face value would mean that Bangala, From the DRC, who has a French passport and playing in the Slovakian second tier was dreaming of one day playing for Ayr United. 

I would suspect he meant that they are looking for players to commit to the club and are willing to be involved in all activities and aren't simply mercenaries. I don't suspect any of the players we signed in the summer gave a f**k about Ayr but bought in to what the club was selling them. 

I've not watched Mathie's interview as yet. However, I am pretty scunnered right now for a start to the league campaign. Its been a long time since I've been so scunnered.

This squad is lacking quality and its clear we need additions. Wtf is going on? There are shades of last season where we knew we needed a central midfielder and did f**k all about it until January. We need to get our fingers out and make some quality additions.

I'm desperately trying not to be too negative. The off the field development is phenomenal but we need to look after the on field stuff as well.

Glendinning is getting away with murder. Never hear from him. Never turned up at the vision night. He’s arguably the most important man if he’s signing the players, which has been a total disaster. A would get shot of him before Bullen.

Also having this structure was to stop a a manager like last season signing a team of total dross. This has happened again.

Glendinning is getting away with murder. Never hear from him. Never turned up at the vision night. He’s arguably the most important man if he’s signing the players, which has been a total disaster. A would get shot of him before Bullen.

Also having this structure was to stop a a manager like last season signing a team of total dross. This has happened again.

He’s not signing players though. He never has been. He literally identifies options for Bullen and Mathie and they decide who to pursue.

League games haven’t started yet and folk are desperate to find a scapegoat already. It’s nonsense.

Mathie always gives a good interview packed full of positivity and business speak. FWIW i think we will sign whatever is required to keep us competitive and stay in the league, nothing more.  The base of the club is being built for the future and extra funds are being put into the new off pitch infrastructure. Can't complain as there is only be so much cash and it should move the club forward once completed

If Robbie Crawford was/is the answer I don’t want to know the question tbh. He’s not the type of player we need. It’s a striker and an attacking midfielder we need. At this point I’d be chucking a deal at someone like Gowzie Ugwu. He’s not great but is better than what we currently have.

The club keep going on about how everyone is pulling in the same direction and are United but that’s not what I’m seeing at all- this thread is evident of that. They can promise all the off park stuff they like but until there is significant improvement on the pitch then nothing is going to improve

Any buzz that was generated from the Partick Thistle game has almost evaporated in my eyes due to our league cup campaign and poor signings. 

Main issue for me is that after 5 friendlies and another 4 'friendly' cup games it doesn't feel like we've settled on a formation that works or that Bullen knows his best team. 

While we probably need a better RB, an attacking CM and a poacher type forward regardless, which of those is the biggest area of concern varies depending on the formation with 5-3-2, 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 all highlighting different issues. 

Maybe worth taking a risk of letting someone with proven quality use us to put themself in the January shop window and see what happens. In September 2017 we signed a striker on a short term deal to January and he didn't turn out too badly.

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Taking Mathie at face value would mean that Bangala, From the DRC, who has a French passport and playing in the Slovakian second tier was dreaming of one day playing for Ayr United. 

To be fair to Mathie, I think he meant he wanted players who bought into some kind of vision for the club. Not necessarily that they had always dreamed of walking onto Somerset Park but that once they understood the ambition for the club they were excited by it. I am not really convinced that is realistic though unless they are sharing something with prospective players that we fans are not aware of.

I find these interviews frustrating because they dance around the key question - how will we compete against clubs with much higher budgets? How does our budget compare with other clubs in the division? We know from the published accounts that teams like partick are spending far more on their squad. But Mathie must know how we are looking compared with the rest of the division.

He is right though that unless we sell more tickets we cannot expect the squad budget to rise much.

11 minutes ago, rgreig said:

He is right though that unless we sell more tickets we cannot expect the squad budget to rise much.

My argument to that is that this is probably our biggest budget in years irrelevant of how many tickets we have sold. We still have a worse squad than last year and worse than when Lachlan was in charge and barely putting any money into the club. 

it is a squad that is lacking in players that can score goals again and that is the manager and the recruitment team getting it wrong 

12 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

My argument to that is that this is probably our biggest budget in years irrelevant of how many tickets we have sold. We still have a worse squad than last year and worse than when Lachlan was in charge and barely putting any money into the club. 

it is a squad that is lacking in players that can score goals again and that is the manager and the recruitment team getting it wrong 

I don't think any reasonable person could disagree that our squad is currently weaker than last season.

The variable I don't know is how much wages have changed year on year in football? Are we able to assemble a decent squad with the budget we have? If it is true that we have lost out on several targets is that because we were naive or was it that competition increased wages more rapidly than we expected?

At least the reserve league is returning this season so all the young and fringe players should get some much needed playing time to develop and get some experience.

As for the budget issue the league cup campaign has really fucked us in terms of prize money and added season ticket sales. As bad a shape as we are in it seems like a few clubs in the league are in the same boat, I suppose we'll see over the next few weeks who is the worst of the lot.