The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I don’t think we’re going to run with our squad as is. Mathie talks a lot about wanting players who want to play for Ayr and that’s good but you also have to be prepared to convince guys to come here when we aren’t their first choice.

I think before the window shuts, we’ll bring two in and let two go. My guess would be bringing in a striker and midfielder and loaning out a couple of fringe players. Hopefully McAllister and McKenzie.

I hope you're right, however I have a nagging suspicion that both will be going nowhere and McKenzie in particular seems to be well regarded.

I don’t think we’re going to run with our squad as is. Mathie talks a lot about wanting players who want to play for Ayr and that’s good but you also have to be prepared to convince guys to come here when we aren’t their first choice.

I think before the window shuts, we’ll bring two in and let two go. My guess would be bringing in a striker and midfielder and loaning out a couple of fringe players. Hopefully McAllister and McKenzie.
I don't think McKenzie will be going anywhere unfortunately. Desperately need another striker on the books even a loan.
I can see Nick McAllister getting loaned out again even although I rate him but don't think the manager does.

Going to be a long hard season even though Mathie tries to put a brave face on it. I hope I am wrong.

The issue with loan signings is that you only get guys like Kai Kennedy early as the parent club know they are never going to make it as first team players so are happy to get some off their wages off the books.

You have then the real youngsters that the clubs are happy to farm out to get game time which usually happens around now for the first game of the season.

Then the last lot is usually as the clubs finalise there squad there are usually a few decent players that are deemed surplus to requirements once all the targets are signed so go out on loan to reduce the wage bill. ie the 4th choice striker that gets bumped down to fifth by the last minute signing. There has been quite an overhaul at a few premiership clubs (ie Aberdeen signed 9 players so far) so hopefully we start to see the trickle down, you might get someone like Smith who asked for his release in August as he didnt think would get any first team appearances and signed for us i think in September. Obviously doesnt help going into the Abroath game though

Spoke to an auld guy at the shop there, Ayr United daft. Was talking about how he's not too worried about the coming season and that everything will come together. 'Hopkin got to the spl with Livingston, came to Ayr and was shite, Duffy won q league with Dumbarton, came to Ayr and was shite, both Mark Roberts and mark Kerr are evidence a player manager doesn't work, they were shite. Give this bullen boy time, it'll come together......if no, he's shite.'

Mentioned a couple of names coming from Perth, though I'm unsure if he is Itk or a rambling old idiot. Dan Clearly and Nadir Ciftci.

Unsure who the first one is but I'm sure the other played for the green side of Glasgow at one point 🤔

Spoke to an auld guy at the shop there, Ayr United daft. Was talking about how he's not too worried about the coming season and that everything will come together. 'Hopkin got to the spl with Livingston, came to Ayr and was shite, Duffy won q league with Dumbarton, came to Ayr and was shite, both Mark Roberts and mark Kerr are evidence a player manager doesn't work, they were shite. Give this bullen boy time, it'll come together......if no, he's shite.'
Mentioned a couple of names coming from Perth, though I'm unsure if he is Itk or a rambling old idiot. Dan Clearly and Nadir Ciftci.
Unsure who the first one is but I'm sure the other played for the green side of Glasgow at one point [emoji848]

Clearly signing for Shamrock Rovers in the next 24 hours so he won’t be joining and Ciftci would surely command a decent wage out of our budget

2 minutes ago, wullieaufc said:

Clearly signing for Shamrock Rovers in the next 24 hours so he won’t be joining and Ciftci would surely command a decent wage out of our budget

I dunno anything about Dan Cleary, just that the auld yin was saying he was coming down from Perth 🤔 probably Said that in hope if anything 😔

I think at this point, throwing money at a striker would be beneficial , however, I never heard of Ciftci setting the world alight in Perth 😐 experienced, yes but I'm sure there's better.

Incredibly naive of Mathie to say they only want player's who want to play for Ayr United, I get the sentiment, but they're professional football players it's largely about cash always has been, sometimes and I think we're at the point now you do have to push the boat out a bit, I'm not advocating 2K a week or anything stupid or unsustainable, but we should be looking at a couple on a few hundred more our next 2/3 players need to be game changers or we're in a real mess quality players will lift you up a number of places, earning their salary and bringing in better crowds, McKenzie and McAllister out on loan would surely allow movement, but I agree with other posts think for some unknown reason both are rated, probably decent lads who train hard!!!

I now he's on loan at Dundalk but wouldn't mind the boy Bradley from Hibs coming back for a season on loan. If Kelly from Rangers is on the way out then I'd love him back too but reckon he'll be going somewhere in the SPhell or down south like Maxwell. 

7 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

I'm not advocating 2K a week or anything stupid or unsustainable, but we should be looking at a couple on a few hundred more our next 2/3 players need to be game changers or we're in a real mess quality players will lift you up a number of places, earning their salary and bringing in better crowds

I couldn't agree more. The question is who though? Probably the same question that's got Bullen, Mathie and Glendinning in a muddle 🤔

12 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

I now he's on loan at Dundalk but wouldn't mind the boy Bradley from Hibs coming back for a season on loan. If Kelly from Rangers is on the way out then I'd love him back too but reckon he'll be going somewhere in the SPhell or down south like Maxwell. 

Totally and utterly agree, I thought he was a right good lad, obviously some off days as kids have but real quality, apparently did really well at dundalk 

13 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

I couldn't agree more. The question is who though? Probably the same question that's got Bullen, Mathie and Glendinning in a muddle 🤔

Are they though I'm not sure, it probably goes against Mathies utopian dream, be interesting if Bullen shared that dream 

Are they though I'm not sure, it probably goes against Mathies utopian dream, be interesting if Bullen shared that dream 

Are you suggesting that Mathie is discounting players who aren’t falling over themselves to sign for Ayr? If so, I think you’d misunderstood what he was saying.

Wasn't he at Ayr a few years ago or am I thinking of another Crawford?

Yeah started at Ayr, played over 150 games and left us for Livingston. Would’ve played against the Pars a few times due to us being in League One together.

2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Wasn't he at Ayr a few years ago or am I thinking of another Crawford?

Yup. Left Ayr for Livi then rocked up at Firhill in the Winter transfer window. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Dunfermline keen on Robbie Crawford so I’d imagine he’ll be going there. I think if he was going to sign for us he’d have done so already.

Nonsense! There's no room in that Dunfermline team who have the luxury of having the amazing talent and ability of Joe Chalmers in midfield! 😂😂😂 

The Crawford situation maybe goes hand in hand with Mathies comments, if Robbie wanted to come back he would have been here pre season if we have offered him a deal he's obviously waiting to see if he gets a better offer. I love the way Mathies talks and I'm 100% behind the vision he has but it's hard to stay positive if the product on the field is not up to par.