The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, TxRover said:

S**t, call Murray, he might swap you a midfielder or two for Musonda back.

Sorry pal but Frankie looks the best of all our new signings (so far). No take backs or swaps allowed.

7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Sorry pal but Frankie looks the best of all our new signings (so far). No take backs or swaps allowed.

If he’s healthy, he’ll likely be a f**king Rolls-Royce for you!

8 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

1. Why the f*ck are you watching Love island?

2. Why do you care about what is said on love island?

3. Have you heard of a thing called a 'remote control'?

1. I like Love Island.

2. I'm too invested.

3. Aye, that's I how I switch the channel to ITV 2 at 9pm.

14 hours ago, WATTOO said:

The whole transfer window system just appears to be a shambles / not fit for purpose.

If the league season starts on the 30th July, WHY do we have a transfer window which runs until September ?

That effectively means that many teams are beginning their domestic season to the tune of 4 or 5 matches in AND have missed out on 50% of the main domestic cup competition before they've actually managed to put a team together !!

Not only that, but you can then add another 3 or 4 weeks until the player /players are match fit or integrated into their new system and understanding their team mates etc.

I'm sure there must be a reason for this but I'm not sure it would make any sense. 

Why not have contracts and the window standardised to run from the final week of the season / play offs until 4 weeks prior to the first league match, that way everyone would be able to assemble a full team, have the players match fit and also give the players, clubs and fans some certainty.

Special dispensation / rules could be in place for Loanees or cross border transfers of course but for domestic transfers I think it would make everything much simpler.

Either that, or just go back to the old way with no window at all !!!

The vast majority of players by signed by clubs at this level are free agents, therefore the transfer window is irrelevant and moving it would do nothing. Loanees aside, Championship clubs and below rarely 'transfer' players, they pick up players who have been released. Free agents also aren't going to wait until September to pick a club and lose out on a salary for June, July and August. And if they do they'd have done that anyway regardless of any window, unless you want to say that free agents can only sign within a certain window which has never been the case and I'm not sure would even be legal to restrict an unemployed player seeking employment mid season.

One of the solutions is to do what Ayr seem to be doing which is offer multi-year contracts, there are risks with that too obviously, but clubs can't have it both ways - only give out 10 month contracts and then moan they can't build a squad each summer. The other is to offer more money earlier on.

3 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Pretty bizarre that Raith let Musonda go only for Berra to retire on the eve of the new season.

They clearly didn't know he was going to retire.

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The vast majority of players by signed by clubs at this level are free agents, therefore the transfer window is irrelevant and moving it would do nothing. Loanees aside, Championship clubs and below rarely 'transfer' players, they pick up players who have been released. Free agents also aren't going to wait until September to pick a club and lose out on a salary for June, July and August. And if they do they'd have done that anyway regardless of any window, unless you want to say that free agents can only sign within a certain window which has never been the case and I'm not sure would even be legal to restrict an unemployed player seeking employment mid season.

One of the solutions is to do what Ayr seem to be doing which is offer multi-year contracts, there are risks with that too obviously, but clubs can't have it both ways - only give out 10 month contracts and then moan they can't build a squad each summer. The other is to offer more money earlier on.

I get what you're saying but it still doesn't make sense that many of our clubs will be beginning the new season still 3 or 4 players short.

If it was only us this was happening with that would be different and would be down to our own internal recruitment issues, however it would appear to be across the board at the moment.

I can't ever recall this happening before.

29 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I have no idea what you mean by that in the context of what I said.

It means that I don’t believe Berra has abruptly retired because his legs have suddenly gone when they were fine 4 weeks ago.  A fall out with Murray is much more likely, which would explain why they were happy to release a 24 year old centre back in favour of Berra.

20 minutes ago, Nelson said:

It means that I don’t believe Berra has abruptly retired because his legs have suddenly gone when they were fine 4 weeks ago.  A fall out with Murray is much more likely, which would explain why they were happy to release a 24 year old centre back in favour of Berra.

Are you suggesting Raith knew Berra was retiring yet went ahead and released all their centre backs anyway?

33 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Are you suggesting Raith knew Berra was retiring yet went ahead and released all their centre backs anyway?

I think he’s suggesting the opposite 

Edited by malkyshotton

48 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

No, I’m suggesting that there has been a fall out between Berra and Murray which has resulted in Berra walking out on the club 3 days before  the season starts, with “retirement” just being a convenient excuse for all concerned.  

3 minutes ago, Nelson said:

No, I’m suggesting that there has been a fall out between Berra and Murray which has resulted in Berra walking out on the club 3 days before  the season starts, with “retirement” just being a convenient excuse for all concerned.  

Berra is also quite injury prone and spent a lot of time on the sidelines. Perhaps another one of these has occurred and he’s decided to chuck it 

Update from mathie on black and white tv.

Don’t know what to think about this season. I think we are in trouble unless the team were really just playing with the handbrake on in the league cup. I have a feeling of dread and the last time I felt that at the start of the season was all the way back with mark roberts in charge 

7 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Don’t know what to think about this season. I think we are in trouble unless the team were really just playing with the handbrake on in the league cup. I have a feeling of dread and the last time I felt that at the start of the season was all the way back with mark roberts in charge 

Great to hear but, still felt like a whole lot of not very much. Certainly sounds like we have had a fair number of knock backs from targets as well. Bangala arriving or a new signing before Saturday would certainly help. 

45 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

If we're going into the season with the league cup squad then we're going to have issues as we don't have any attacking Midfielders in our squad and only one experienced striker. (I know I've been very supportive but I honestly assumed that we'd have a Midfielder and striker in place by now).

We're either going to have to completely change our style and play with real attacking width or we're going to have to sign a central midfleld playmaker link up man before Saturday or hope that we can stick Moff in a time machine which will take at least 5 years off him !!

I don’t think we’re going to run with our squad as is. Mathie talks a lot about wanting players who want to play for Ayr and that’s good but you also have to be prepared to convince guys to come here when we aren’t their first choice.

I think before the window shuts, we’ll bring two in and let two go. My guess would be bringing in a striker and midfielder and loaning out a couple of fringe players. Hopefully McAllister and McKenzie.