The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, Ayr23 said:

Do you have any transfer news for us at all, like anything? My source has gone dry this week which is not good.

Rumours are kicking about , but names will remain in house , Griffiths was not one of them though and Kia Kennedy was never coming to Ayr ( we did not even get the chance for him or anyone representing him to turn us down his future was already decided ) 

From what Bullen said in his post match interview against St Johnstone we’re in discussions with several players but nothing is imminent, or words to that effect.

I think it’s obvious we’ve been knocked back by a few players for different positions (much like most clubs in our league) and we’ve had to seek out alternative solutions. It’s never going to be possible to sign all your first choice targets when you’ve got a budget to stick to and you’re just off the back of finishing 8th two seasons in a row.

The whole transfer window system just appears to be a shambles / not fit for purpose.

If the league season starts on the 30th July, WHY do we have a transfer window which runs until September ?

That effectively means that many teams are beginning their domestic season to the tune of 4 or 5 matches in AND have missed out on 50% of the main domestic cup competition before they've actually managed to put a team together !!

Not only that, but you can then add another 3 or 4 weeks until the player /players are match fit or integrated into their new system and understanding their team mates etc.

I'm sure there must be a reason for this but I'm not sure it would make any sense. 

Why not have contracts and the window standardised to run from the final week of the season / play offs until 4 weeks prior to the first league match, that way everyone would be able to assemble a full team, have the players match fit and also give the players, clubs and fans some certainty.

Special dispensation / rules could be in place for Loanees or cross border transfers of course but for domestic transfers I think it would make everything much simpler.

Either that, or just go back to the old way with no window at all !!!

I think the problem is, there are more clubs now fishing in our pond, so clubs are holding on to more players because they might not be able to get someone in later. 

There are 10 Championship teams, Falkirk, Dunfermline, Queen of the South, Kilmarnock, Livingston and to a lesser extent Airdrie, not to mention some junior teams and lower league teams paying part time players more than some full time teams. 

Regarding loan players I’ve heard a lot of managers say the rule is that they loan out attackers to teams challenging for the league and defenders to teams fighting relegation, as that’s where they’ll get the most action. No point sending your brightest 18 year old striker to a team that plays long ball or your defender to a team that’s winning comfortably every week.

Unless of course it’s a player like Afolabi who they’ve gave up developing and just want rid of.

4 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Regarding loan players I’ve heard a lot of managers say the rule is that they loan out attackers to teams challenging for the league and defenders to teams fighting relegation, as that’s where they’ll get the most action. No point sending your brightest 18 year old striker to a team that plays long ball or your defender to a team that’s winning comfortably every week.

Unless of course it’s a player like Afolabi who they’ve gave up developing and just want rid of.

It's a funny thing but "long balls" in themselves aren't a bad thing, so long as the ball is then held up by the CF and he brings others into the game or the long ball is directed and received by a wide man who then gets a decent cross into the box where a striker or attacking Midfielder will run on to it.

Unfortunately our long balls don't tend to reach their man or when they do that man is isolated and the move breaks down before it even starts !!

It would be great to play like the latter days under McCall / Stewart but you need a certain type of player for that and I don'think that either ourselves or anyone else in our league has that.

Just to add that not every young player being loaned out is for development reasons. Kennedy and McPake aren’t going to cut it at Rangers and all parties will know it. They’re just assisting the players in getting out there and putting themselves in the shop window. Kennedy will know that out of all his options, Falkirk are likely to make him look the best. Signing for Ayr will do him no good.

20 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Just to add that not every young player being loaned out is for development reasons. Kennedy and McPake aren’t going to cut it at Rangers and all parties will know it. They’re just assisting the players in getting out there and putting themselves in the shop window. Kennedy will know that out of all his options, Falkirk are likely to make him look the best. Signing for Ayr will do him no good.

From what I see about the Kelly situation, his next loan will be with the intent of him earning Rangers a decent development fee, so Premier in Scotland or a decent standard in England, Rangers won't play him so he needs to play at a level he can thrive at. 

5 years ago that would have been Ayr, now, not so much. 

21 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

From what I see about the Kelly situation, his next loan will be with the intent of him earning Rangers a decent development fee, so Premier in Scotland or a decent standard in England, Rangers won't play him so he needs to play at a level he can thrive at. 

Think there is a chance he might be sold instead of another loan

Aye he has no future there. He’ll be 23 next year and his contract will expire then so Rangers won’t be due anything unless someone agrees to pay a fee for him just now. At least I think 23 is the cut off. McCowan was 23 and we didn’t get anything for him when he moved to Dundee.

I know we’ve got next to no chance of getting him but you’d hope we’ve at least chances our arm and asked Rangers and his agent the question?

1 hour ago, southsiderayr said:

Ayr United's just been slagged on Love Island lol

1. Why the f*ck are you watching Love island?

2. Why do you care about what is said on love island?

3. Have you heard of a thing called a 'remote control'?

8 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I just hope to God that we get a signing or two within the next couple of days as it's a bit of a disaster beginning the new League season with only 1 experienced striker and no attacking Midfield options.

I've been very supportive so far and still expect that the club will deliver, however it IS getting a bit close now for comfort !!

S**t, call Murray, he might swap you a midfielder or two for Musonda back.