The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Listened to the commentary on Radio Scotland - they seemed to think we played fairly well, particularly in the 2nd half, and were worth a draw.  Doesn’t seem like the fans who were at the game saw it that way.  Pretty clear that we need another striker

I thought we were OK today - very similar to Tuesday.

First half - they were the better team, and generally controlled the ball.  We looked comfortable at the back and knocked it about but really struggled to get anything in behind.  One big chance came when Houston bundled his way through and Ashford somehow missed when it was easier to score (think he hit the keeper with his snap shot).  Saints should've had a second a few minutes later with a great ball in from the right.

Second half - we were slightly better and they offered very little.  We still struggled to create chances other than a few openings that led to corners.  The big chance came late on and again fell to Ashford, and instead of passing for the easy finish he blazed over. 

The defence looked pretty good today.  Musonda is very impressive, and could even be one of our most creative players as he breaks from the back.  Young Finn was caught defensively a few times in the first half but came on to a game and linked well with Mitchell-Lawson in the second half.  Houston had a decent first half and seemed to be more negative in the second half - always choosing to turn back.  He gets a rough time from folk though, and I thought he defended better than Eccrepont today.

Midfield looked tidy, although Smith often looks back to keep possession rather than looking forward.  O'Connor offers very little for me.  Flashes and that's it - won a few corners today.  It's like he's a poor man's Declan McDaid in terms of end product (and he wasn't exactly great at delivering the goods).  JML looked tidy enough but didn't really create much.

Ashford was anonymous in the first half and although he put himself about a bit more - somehow worse in the second.  The two misses weren't great, and he didn't seem to offer anything (I might be being harsh but he was our worst player I felt).  Dipo held the ball up pretty well but was feeding off scraps.  He can clearly play but by god he does he need a goal.  Not sure he's getting in to the best of positions but we don't deliver much in to the box.  

For me, the biggest issue is how we break-through teams and create chances.  O'Connor, JML and Dipo are not really delivering on perceived potential.  I'm not entirely sure what Ashford offers at all as a striker.

Well to sum this up. 4 games 1 goal. Zero wins. Against 3 Lower league teams and one spfl team who are not brilliant either.
The stats of shots on and off target above screams the need for a competent striker. True, Griffiths has baggage but he also has a strikers instinct.
We have a very young team who need a smattering of experience through it. My big fear is that the younger people in the team get abused because of results/performances.
Bullen needs this sorted NOW ! If he doesn't I can see him being booted before October, which no one here wants. Im not that hopeful for the league, please let me be wrong.

Well to sum this up. 4 games 1 goal. Zero wins. Against 3 Lower league teams and one spfl team who are not brilliant either.
The stats of shots on and off target above screams the need for a competent striker. True, Griffiths has baggage but he also has a strikers instinct.
We have a very young team who need a smattering of experience through it. My big fear is that the younger people in the team get abused because of results/performances.
Bullen needs this sorted NOW ! If he doesn't I can see him being booted before October, which no one here wants. Im not that hopeful for the league, please let me be wrong.

Are you going to ignore the baggage Griffiths comes with just because he can score goals though?

This sounds promising though. Hopefully have at least one in for next week.

Griffiths is never the right decision for our club.  Bullen is trying to build a young team who work and learn together.  Whether he manages it or not - I'd rather that than try and sign fannies like Griffiths.

Aye of course with any young squad, you’re going to need experienced heads in there. Leigh Griffiths isn’t really someone you’d want as one of the leaders of your dressing room.

Couldn’t care less about Griffiths’ baggage.  If I thought for a minute he would score goals, I’d be happy to have him.  The problem is I don’t believe that.  He just looks done, even at League 1 level with Falkirk.

19 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Also - what's the pronunciation of Dipo?

Dipo or Deepo?

I heard a fan shouting Dipo all day and that sounded cringey as f**k.  I'm in the Deepo camp until shown clear evidence to the contrary.

Check your DMs mate!

35 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Also - what's the pronounciation of Dipo?

Dipo or Deepo?

I heard a fan shouting Dipo all day and that sounded cringey as f**k.  I'm in the Deepo camp until shown clear evidence to the contrary.

It's pronounced Dip-oh, not Deep-oh. 

Here's your evidence from the man himself, 4 seconds into the video. EDIT - There's no direct link to the video, just scroll down to the Dipo player signing video.

https://ayrunitedfc.co.uk/black-white-tv

Edited by Calayrdonia

Just to clarify, I do NOT think Griffiths is the correct man who will be an experienced head. He's not a Malky Shotton or Mark Kerr. That is what we need.
My point was he could be an option, when there appears to be very few options out there for goalscorers. However, as has been mentioned before he did nothing of note at Falkirk.

27 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

It's pronounced Dip-oh, not Deep-oh. 

Here's your evidence from the man himself, 4 seconds into the video. EDIT - There's no direct link to the video, just scroll down to the Dipo player signing video.

https://ayrunitedfc.co.uk/black-white-tv

f**k that sounds hellish. Cheers anyway. 

It's a weird feeling for me after the first 4 games because it's not that I'm angry, I'm just utterly scunnered at the moment.

As I said, the squad looks like it lacks quality. Several of Bullen's favourites: McAllister, McKenzie, Hewitt to name but three, I just don't honestly don't see what they offer. McAdams has looked incredibly dodgy so far in his two games. Cemented to his line, flapping at crosses, etc. Ashford is continually being played as a centre forward and he looks less likely to score a goal than McGinty. He runs a lot and his work ethic is excellent, and his touch and link up play is excellent, I really like him as a player but I think he needs to play out wide but he's being used as a striker and he is just not a goal threat. His finishing is dreadful. 

I like to think I'm very balanced on reflection of a game, but when I see people saying "we played really well today" I'm genuinely confused by that assessment. Played well how? Because we only lost one goal to premier league opposition away from home? Because we had a couple of break-aways that we wasted? Our build up was so slow and every time we won possession we were so slow getting forward, passing the ball backwards and sideways except for lump balls forward. But for the most part we sat well off them, didn't create much and they couldn't have really been more comfortable. I wouldn't say we were shite either, just extremely blunt and ineffective. 

On the positive, Musonda looks very very good and looks a find. Kirk hasn't played much so won't make judgment on him as yet. He has looked shaky a few times, but generally fine. Dipo for the first time today looked as if he was struggling fitness wise. He looked done in after an hour. I do like what I've seen so far though and think he may be decent for us.

46 minutes ago, Calayrdonia said:

It's a weird feeling for me after the first 4 games because it's not that I'm angry, I'm just utterly scunnered at the moment.

As I said, the squad looks like it lacks quality. Several of Bullen's favourites: McAllister, McKenzie, Hewitt to name but three, I just don't honestly don't see what they offer. McAdams has looked incredibly dodgy so far in his two games. Cemented to his line, flapping at crosses, etc. Ashford is continually being played as a centre forward and he looks less likely to score a goal than McGinty. He runs a lot and his work ethic is excellent, and his touch and link up play is excellent, I really like him as a player but I think he needs to play out wide but he's being used as a striker and he is just not a goal threat. His finishing is dreadful. 

I like to think I'm very balanced on reflection of a game, but when I see people saying "we played really well today" I'm genuinely confused by that assessment. Played well how? Because we only lost one goal to premier league opposition away from home? Because we had a couple of break-aways that we wasted? Our build up was so slow and every time we won possession we were so slow getting forward, passing the ball backwards and sideways except for lump balls forward. But for the most part we sat well off them, didn't create much and they couldn't have really been more comfortable. I wouldn't say we were shite either, just extremely blunt and ineffective. 

On the positive, Musonda looks very very good and looks a find. Kirk hasn't played much so won't make judgment on him as yet. He has looked shaky a few times, but generally fine. Dipo for the first time today looked as if he was struggling fitness wise. He looked done in after an hour. I do like what I've seen so far though and think he may be decent for us.

I don't see anyone saying we played well today.  The most positive reports were from Duffy and Foster for Sportsound.  I think they were looking at it from the POV that we were away against a side in the top division and we were the better team in the 2nd half.  I don't necessarily think that's unfair, as we probably shaded it.  It was a poor game, though.

Edited by pandarilla

4 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Are you going to ignore the baggage Griffiths comes with just because he can score goals though?

This sounds promising though. Hopefully have at least one in for next week.

Robbie Crawford and Connor McLennan? (Latter is complete guess/suggestion)

5 hours ago, Nelson said:

Listened to the commentary on Radio Scotland - they seemed to think we played fairly well, particularly in the 2nd half, and were worth a draw.  Doesn’t seem like the fans who were at the game saw it that way.  Pretty clear that we need another striker

Jim Duffy was on the commentary team. They would hardly be expected to put the boot in.

At one point someone opined that Ayr would be looking at a top-half finish this season. The only top half Ayr are looking at is the top half of the two red slots down the bottom.

17 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

I would teach him we are DKB and not let him go.

I had a slightly different, but similarly challenging, situation where my daughters mum bought her a Rangers top and I went off my head. If it had been Ayr/St Mirren etc I would probably have been less bothered about it but keeping your kids away from the Old Firm shite is just good parenting in my opinion.

Daughters mum/sister???? 🤔🤔🤔

12 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

At what point does he lose this 'goalscorer' tag? He scored 2 in 12 for Falkirk last season (I think 1 was a penalty), and 3 in 17 for Dundee. Both teams were mid to upper table which is where Ayr would hope to be, and obviously Falkirk in a lower league, so he can't claim it was due to being in struggling sides with no service. Even going back before that it's years since he gave any decent goal return.

He could be a great gamble for someone, we also had fans saying he was worth a punt. But I wouldn't be spending any significant salary on him, which I presume he would be wanting, as the recent evidence suggests he is done.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever