The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I have been to Rugby Park a few times with friends. Each time has been a decent afternoon out tbh.

32 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Dare i say that Killie fans are  fantastic for banter with Ayr fans, it's mostly a laugh, something that you'd never get from the old firm glory seekers/sheep. 

Yeah I have friends who are Killie fans. There's no genuine hatred involved, it's banter.

The hatred that comes with the OF is the unfortunate consequence of people mistaking supporting a football team for a personality.

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Are there any signing rumours? It seems to be eerily quiet. 

Barrel scraping now. Don’t mean to be negative but feel our initial targets have signed or passed by, just what’s left now and loans. Think we’re at the stage we should be seriously considering a punt on Griffiths.

Edited by bazka6

4 minutes ago, bazka6 said:

Barrel scraping now. Don’t mean to be negative but feel our initial targets have signed or passed by, just what’s left now and loans. Think we’re at the stage we should be seriously considering a punt on Griffiths.

I'd rather we re-signed Markus Fjortoft and played him up front than signed Griffiths tbh.

Think at we’re the stage where we’ll have targets who are maybe under contract at Premiership clubs and we’re waiting for them to get their targets in before they start releasing or loaning guys out.

Unless we’ve genuinely put an offer in for someone who’s on paper way out our reach and we’re letting them see if they get something better.

40 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Bit shite we’ve waited until a dead rubber to field a decent looking, attacking side but at least Bullen is trying something.

4-4-2 seems to fit our players best although by the end of the window I’d be hoping we have someone else to play in one of the attacking wide positions, a striker and maybe a right back.

I think it needs to be a 4-3-3. Dempsey seems to offer far more as part of a three and we only really have one striker anyway, with Ashford potentially looking better out wide. 

Can anyone who saw the game give a summary of how we were? Was there signs of improvement? How did we line up? How was the defence without Captain Marvel? Were Ashford and Dipo profligate or were they feeding off scraps?

Surely to f**k we will be making signings in the coming week.

If we don’t, it just isn’t good enough. 

We have one actual striker, no competent right back and no attacking central midfielder. 

Edited by No_Problemo

4 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Bit shite we’ve waited until a dead rubber to field a decent looking, attacking side but at least Bullen is trying something.

4-4-2 seems to fit our players best although by the end of the window I’d be hoping we have someone else to play in one of the attacking wide positions, a striker and maybe a right back.

Completely and utterly disagree. Been to all 4 games so far and in every game, we've played with two in central midfield and it just doesn't work. Dis-jointed and overrun. Dempsey functions far better further forward and is getting asked to play a role which is not suited to his strengths. He was brilliant in a far more advanced role last season in behind the striker and that's undoubtedly where we get the best out of him. We play far better with a three in midfield and I wish we would go back to that but after four games, there's no sign of doing so.

That was utterly grim today. I'm trying to take into consideration it was away from home against Premiership opposition, but it just looked so poor. Our squad looks like it lacks any kind of quality and any strength in depth. The last twenty minutes especially was painful watching. St Johnstone just passing the ball about and us getting, for the most part, nowhere near them. Let's be honest, they didn't look overly great either.

I'm genuinely very worried for the season ahead. I don't feel we've got the squad to cope. However, it IS early doors. I hope that I'm wrong.

Can anyone who saw the game give a summary of how we were? Was there signs of improvement? How did we line up? How was the defence without Captain Marvel? Were Ashford and Dipo profligate or were they feeding off scraps?

You’ll maybe have seen the tweet but apparently in the closing minutes Ashford raced through on goal and had Hewitt next to him in acres of space. Instead of passing for an easy tap in he skied it wide/over the bar.

I know he’s probably just desperate for a goal but you need to be smarter than that towards the end of a game. I think it’s clear he’s not a striker but could be quite a handy winger/wide attacker as he is quick and can be quite tricky on the ball. It’s obvious we need another striker though. I can’t say I fully agree with fans clamouring for us to sign Griffiths though.

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

You’ll maybe have seen the tweet but apparently in the closing minutes Ashford raced through on goal and had Hewitt next to him in acres of space. Instead of passing for an easy tap in he skied it wide/over the bar.

I know he’s probably just desperate for a goal but you need to be smarter than that towards the end of a game. I think it’s clear he’s not a striker but could be quite a handy winger/wide attacker as he is quick and can be quite tricky on the ball. It’s obvious we need another striker though. I can’t say I fully agree with fans clamouring for us to sign Griffiths though.

Cheers, I hadn't seen that. I agree wrt. Ashford he's far better out wide. He's not a centre forward.

I think the clamour for Griffiths is desperation on some folks parts. We've had something like 64 shots, 23 on target and 1 goal in 4 games. I can understand the wish to bring in a proper 9 who would hopefully finish more of them off. I'm a no wrt. Griffiths as he comes with too much baggage.

I do worry if we don't make the necessary signings and get ragdolled by Arbroath next week that the atmosphere could turn very quickly. It would be great to have things on and off the field going well. We only ever seem to have one or the other! I want both.

Listened to the commentary on Radio Scotland - they seemed to think we played fairly well, particularly in the 2nd half, and were worth a draw.  Doesn’t seem like the fans who were at the game saw it that way.  Pretty clear that we need another striker

The worry is also that we get ragdolled by Arbroath next week and turn to a panic signing. Don't hold up much hope for the first four or five games anyway. Hopefully Bullen can figure something out in that time that works.

Cheers, I hadn't seen that. I agree wrt. Ashford he's far better out wide. He's not a centre forward.
I think the clamour for Griffiths is desperation on some folks parts. We've had something like 64 shots, 23 on target and 1 goal in 4 games. I can understand the wish to bring in a proper 9 who would hopefully finish more of them off. I'm a no wrt. Griffiths as he comes with too much baggage.
I do worry if we don't make the necessary signings and get ragdolled by Arbroath next week that the atmosphere could turn very quickly. It would be great to have things on and off the field going well. We only ever seem to have one or the other! I want both.

Arbroath are a side that are guaranteed to expose any glaring weaknesses you may have as Campbell will have identified them and have them working on them. If we start the league campaign on the back foot then things are going to get ugly very quickly. Bullen keeps reiterating that we need experience in Scottish football so he at least knows what he needs but I’ve no idea where these guys are coming from. A quick look through Transfermarkt shows that free agents from this level and above are pretty sparse. I could see us maybe ending up with someone like Gozie Ugwu or maybe Poplantik that was at Raith last season but I don’t think either are particularly inspired.

Guys like McNulty and Emmanuel-Thomas are really the only half decent options from the Premiership and neither are realistically signing for Ayr.

15 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Listened to the commentary on Radio Scotland - they seemed to think we played fairly well, particularly in the 2nd half, and were worth a draw.  Doesn’t seem like the fans who were at the game saw it that way.  Pretty clear that we need another striker

Yeah i heard that as well. Commentators talk almost every game up and make it sound like a competition even though its dull