The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

52 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Last season, Bullen came in to take over a squad low on confidence and talent, we brought in new players and were still crap. He insisted on playing the same players, the same formation and we sunk further, relying on QOTS and Dunfermline to be worse than us. 

In the final 3 weeks he changed the formation and dropped players that should have been dropped since he came in and performances improved, we played decent football and looked dangerous going forward at times.

Over the summer he has obviously thought, I’m going back to playing the same way I originally did, with the same players that let me down the last time but this time it’ll work. 5 at the back this time, because 2 CHs making an arse of things wasn’t enough.

We have brought in players from the English equivalent of Craigmark or Kilwinning, Adeloye was a success but Gondoh wasn’t, Kenyon wasn’t and I have seen nothing from the new batch to suggest that they are going to be anything other than squad fillers. 
Smith and the club have spent a fortune developing this model and it really hasn’t worked yet. He is being let down by Folk he brought in to run things and a team of soft cowards that pull out of the most basic 50/50. 

They can go on about budgets and availability of players but the fact remains, this club has been stuck in a spiral since Cameron decided to stick rather than twist, we have lacked winners in the team, we have scored very little, had no flair or excitement in the last 2 years and clubs with a lower budget have managed it. 

Murphys Annan were a better team than us, changed the shape to match us and we did nothing until the second half to change it. We set up against league 2 Elgin with 5 at the back, we set up against league 2 Annan with 4 sitting players across the midfield.

it is f**k all to do with budgets it is about knowing how to win football matches and we really don’t know how to do that under Bullen. 

Agreed 

19 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Think our real problem (as fans) is that while there's still time for this mess to sort itself out and win enough points to repeat the last two years, there's no talent in the squad at all.  There isn't actually anything worth watching.  

Agreed 

MAJOR overreaction about last nights game and I can only assume that most of those posting didn't actually watch it. 

Yes, Ayr were far from brilliant and Yes, we didn't create anywhere near enough chances, however, Albinson didn't have a save to make until McKenzies moment of madness in the 95th minute and AYR completely dominated from start to finish (granted, without too many serious shots on goal).

I also find it utterly hilarious that our new signings have all been written off after playing less than 90 mins for most of them !!

People also have short memories as many on here who're now slagging off our English signings were more than happy with Dempsey, Reading and Ashford last season and I don't remember too many being furious when they were re-signed / contracts extended.

You all need to remember that we're missing at least 2 players and those 2 players are likely to be our highest budget signings, given that we were holding out for Sibbald, tried to make McInroy our highest paid player and had cash set aside for Adeloye on much improved terms.

We also have Bangala yet to arrive, which is through no fault of either himself or the club for the continued delay.

It's obvious to anyone that Bullen has been using the league cup to experiment and that quite a few of the players who've been heavily involved will be absolutely nowhere near our best starting 11 when the league season starts. The guy told us himself that this was about getting players match fit, getting time into their legs and getting through it all without any injuries.

Yes, we NEED and I'm sure we'll GET at least another 2 players who'll go straight into our starting 11 and THEN if things don't improve we're quite entitled to ask some serious questions but at the moment it's just mental stuff which some are spouting.

I also think that many are harking back to a once in a generation era of Shankland, Moffat, Forrest, Docherty, Rose, Doohan, Liam Smith, Danny Harvie etc, etc and giving McCall all the plaudits for our style and results, but are conveniently forgetting the season under McCall where we were relegated and were rank bloody rotten at times and couldn't score for love nor money with El Alagui being our big hope !!

I wish we had played better in the last few games, I agree we don't create enough and we don't have anywhere near enough shots on goal AND the build up is FAR too slow, however we must all remember that it's still mid July and we don't have anything like a completed squad either.

All I'm saying is wait until 4 weeks into the league season and THEN make a judgement call on where we actually stand.....

I'm going to sound like a massive happy clapper here but here goes...

I thought there were quite a few decent individual performances last night. Nick McAllister has been hounded by people on here but he was a significant upgrade on Houston, I dont think he put a foot wrong all game and he won most of his individual battles, especially in the air. McGinty and Musonda were solid and barely let Annan have a shot on goal all game. Paddy Reading, unfortunately, did not play well at al and he summed his night up with a terrible penalty miss. In midfield I felt that we got it wrong with Hewitt in right midfield, I'm not sure what position he actually plays but it certainly isn't out wide. JML was impressive and he did a lot of work down the channels, he could be a bit more composed at times but he was good. The middle two are very similar, workmanlike players who like to get stuck in. Murdy gets a free pass a lot of the time but he isn't getting his foot on the ball and dictating the play whatsoever. Bangala has still to come in and he needs to really, really good. Ashford worked hard but looks like he could play all day and not score, Dipo probably had his poorest game for us although I was relieved to see him actually put his penalty away! :D

All in all, this team needs a quality addition up front and it is severely lacking a midfielder who can link the play - a Mark Kerr type player is needed if you don't have Moffat dropping in to open up the space.  If we are unable to add these two bodies then it'll be a tough watch this season. 

Think our real problem (as fans) is that while there's still time for this mess to sort itself out and win enough points to repeat the last two years, there's no talent in the squad at all.  There isn't actually anything worth watching.  

Going forward aye, we’re massively missing a spark. I think there’s talent in other areas though. Musonda, Murdoch, Dempsey, JML, Reading and potentially Kirk if we see more of him are all good players at this level. We just need a couple more in key positions to tie it all together.

12 hours ago, rb123! said:

Well saved three of our pens i think so same old Greg....

On the subject of pens i was that pissed off after FT i turned the stream off forgetting there were pens, some laugh

Probably didn't help that the commentator started to wrap up and say his goodbyes before others around him reminded him that Pens were coming!

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Callum the eternal optimist.

17 shots on goal.........

Ski Skiing GIF by Sunshine Village

A fact which Bullen leaned on. Yes there were lots of shots on target, but most of them were slow trundlers straight down the middle that Fleming had no bother scooping up. A few blocked shots too and one brilliant save off the post, but rather than focus on the 17 shots stat as a positive, I'd be wondering why my strikers haven't done better with them.

13 hours ago, Roxanne's man said:

We've not really had a solid keeper since old Greg. McAdams and Albinson are up for questioning tbf.

I-m-Old-Gregg-old-gregg-31744749-600-338 (1).jpg

You honestly didn't think that Doohan was a solid keeper ??

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Murphys Annan were a better team than us,

Cant agree with that part of your post , we were the better team , created  the most chances , out shot them massively, if it was not for a utter shambles of a tackle in the box when the player was running out the box we won the game , yes we are no where near where we need to be., but Annan were not better football wise than us last night , 

I like the look of dipo but he is anything but clinical so far. No doubt he will end up coming good but I think we need another player that will get amongst the goals. Bryden is young and will blow hot and cold, ashford is a winger and looks like he’d struggle to hit a barn door at times and Mckenzie isnt good enough. 

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

MAJOR overreaction about last nights game and I can only assume that most of those posting didn't actually watch it. 

If you take last night in isolation, aye, we had shots on goal and didn’t concede anything in open play. 

If you don’t look at it in isolation, it’s another game where we haven’t learned from The past and are still doing the same thing and getting the same results. 

Folk thought Chalmers was the problem, he left and we still didn’t win games. 

When I saw the lineup last night, my immediate thought was, Hewitt was playing right back and McCallister was playing CH again because there is no way Hewitt is a right winger.

When that wasn’t working, O’Conner was the ideal choice to replace him, nope, McKenzie, a guy who hasn’t played well wide right since January is brought on. 
They are watching the same games we are yet they keep doing this over and over again. 

The Board’s fault, Mathie’s fault, Glendinning’s fault, Bullen’s fault. What about the fans and the town of Ayr which had failed to give all these people any encouragement with increased revenue or ticket sales for their efforts. The most pisspoor support in Scotland for the catchment area. Do your bit!

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

It's obvious to anyone that Bullen has been using the league cup to experiment and that quite a few of the players who've been heavily involved will be absolutely nowhere near our best starting 11 when the league season starts. The guy told us himself that this was about getting players match fit, getting time into their legs and getting through it all without any injuries.

I don’t believe that’s the case at all and if it is then that’s poor. We had five games prior to the league cup starting. 

4 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Cant agree with that part of your post , we were the better team , created  the most chances , out shot them massively, if it was not for a utter shambles of a tackle in the box when the player was running out the box we won the game , yes we are no where near where we need to be., but Annan were not better football wise than us last night , 

They are a part time team and matched us, the commentator said they had switched from a 3 up front to 1 to compete against Ayr, Ayr on the other hand played a defensive 442.

so we set up to match Annan, they didn’t set up that way and we didn’t change it until after half time. 

The second half we dominated things but never looked like scoring or actually dictating the game. 

Annan were far better organised than we were and looked to have a game plan in place that worked for them in the end. 

1 minute ago, Shibuya said:

Has anybody ever seen Glendinning cutting about the club? I haven't and I'm beginning to think he sits in his bedroom with the curtains shut playing Football Manager all day, 

He was at the game last night. 

16 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Ok, but we are supposed to be better than any League Two side. These are the games where there should be a margin for error. Every league match this season will be against a team that's much better than Annan.

6 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

They are a part time team and matched us, the commentator said they had switched from a 3 up front to 1 to compete against Ayr, Ayr on the other hand played a defensive 442.

so we set up to match Annan, they didn’t set up that way and we didn’t change it until after half time. 

The second half we dominated things but never looked like scoring or actually dictating the game. 

Annan were far better organised than we were and looked to have a game plan in place that worked for them in the end. 

No , they switched from 3 up top to play out for a draw in the second half , took off 2 forwards and brought on a defender and a defensive midfielder , they were no better organised than us ,