The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I don't think I've ever seen a team have consistent success with three CBs other than where they also have a significant talent advantage. It's an objectively sub-optimal system.

There are examples of teams having great success abroad and also in this country whilst using a back 3/5. If we’re talking about teams at this level then Livingston are really the best example with their back to back promotions and how they’re doing in the top flight. Ironically it was under Hopkin they started using that formation.

The kicker is that it’s such a hard formation to get the right players for and that usually centres around your wing backs. People assume that attacking full backs can automatically play as wing backs and it’s really not the case. I actually don’t think having three centre backs on the pitch is as big an issue as finding wing backs.

I think we have a greater issue with a back 3/5 because we are suffering from Hopkin PTSD but it doesn’t take away from the fact that you won’t get anywhere playing that formation if you don’t have your wing backs sorted. Paddy Reading and Jordan Houston aren’t convincing wing backs imo. Reading is better than Houston but even then I don’t think he’s up to doing that role.

Three CBs only works if you have CBs who are good on the ball and can also contribute in building attacks. 
Playing three haddies at the back though? Not good - as seen last season.

Two of the three centre backs we have are good on the ball though. That wasn’t an issue against Elgin or QOS.

13 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think we have a greater issue with a back 3/5 because we are suffering from Hopkin PTSD but it doesn’t take away from the fact that you won’t get anywhere playing that formation if you don’t have your wing backs sorted. Paddy Reading and Jordan Houston aren’t convincing wing backs imo. Reading is better than Houston but even then I don’t think he’s up to doing that role.

If those two can’t do it then maybe time to give Eccripont and Hewitt a chance . Either in a four or a five . The mistakes are getting tiring now . 

1 hour ago, North British said:

If those two can’t do it then maybe time to give Eccripont and Hewitt a chance . Either in a four or a five . The mistakes are getting tiring now . 

To play as a wing back you need stamina a bit of pace and decent crossing ability, Reading just about makes it but Houston is nowhere near it unfortunately and as a result any attacks are immediately stalled.

On a positive note, both Musonda and Kirk look comfortable on the ball and also seem to be able to stride forwards and also pick out a pass which is at least something.

I also think our Midfield is too defensive minded to be playing a 5 and as such it means that the few forward thinking players that we have are completely isolated and therefore out of the game. I'd also say we need much more pace and movement in the side to make this work and at the moment the only 2 we have doing this are Dipo and JML (in the fleeting glimpse that we had of him).

I don't think we're a lost cause though and just one or two subtle changes with adding a good RB and a forward thinking Midfield man could actually make a huge difference to the entire side and how it plays.

Let's just hope that we get them !!

6 hours ago, Iain said:

I don't think I've ever seen a team have consistent success with three CBs other than where they also have a significant talent advantage. It's an objectively sub-optimal system.

Totally agree. Devlin and Harvie could probably have played in the system but you really need to go back to a young Paul Lovering for the last player capable of doing it well. 

Edited by Shibuya

I think we all agree that Reading is the better attacking full back but the way we set up the two strikers (against Elgin anyway) meant that all our wing play was down the right hand side. McKenzie is naturally going to drop in to the wing because that’s where he’s played for a lot of his career.

Dipo on the other hand is an out and out striker so is more inclined to stay central. If Bullen is insisting on this formation he has to realise who the better wing back is and encourage the play to go down that side, limiting the effect Houston’s shiteness has.