The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Is every other team who's signing a European based player being shafted the same way as us by the UK Gov ?

It really is bloody ridiculous !!

50 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Is every other team who's signing a European based player being shafted the same way as us by the UK Gov ?

It really is bloody ridiculous !!

Yes. It's not just football teams either, it's all industries.

Just wanted to quickly ask from some experts about Tomi Adeloye. Obviously we lost out on getting him at the last minute, but as we're still searching for strikers I wanted to ask how you would describe Tomi's playstyle and what suited him, as it might help give an idea for what our manager might be looking for. Thanks!

Think we are probably 4 players short of a squad that can play the formation the manager wants to play but I'm told it's 1 "defender" and one "forward" then we are fine for this window.  

15 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Just wanted to quickly ask from some experts about Tomi Adeloye. Obviously we lost out on getting him at the last minute, but as we're still searching for strikers I wanted to ask how you would describe Tomi's playstyle and what suited him, as it might help give an idea for what our manager might be looking for. Thanks!

Coped well with our long ball antics last season. Could take the ball in and hold defenders off really well. Probably his main trait. Would ideally have runners feeding off him down the channels as that’s where his best play for us came. Finishing lacked but he still scored a fair amount of goals with the minimal service he was given. Hard to tell how he would cope in a team going for the league as you guys presumably are, as we set up last season to fail at 3pm.

17 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Think we are probably 4 players short of a squad that can play the formation the manager wants to play but I'm told it's 1 "defender" and one "forward" then we are fine for this window.  

If that’s the case we might as well start Looking for a new manager too. I’m not going back until the 3/5 at the back experiment ends

Edited by ryanayr1987

21 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Think he’d have done well in a team that got forward and got players around him. At times he was very isolated last season but still managed to hold the ball up and create chances out of nothing. Quite a strong player and had a good touch at times although he missed chances that you’d expect him to score and score goals that you’d think he had no chance. 

I’d have him back in a heartbeat and think he’d link up well with the forward line we have now 

Edited by ryanayr1987

32 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Signing Tomi was the best thing David Hopkin did as Ayr manager, other than f**king off.

Think he was frustrated at Ayr from the off due to 'Hopp-ball' being played constantly (Ball being punted up the park from the back) Technically he's not bad but does a hell of a lot of falling over on the chance of free kicks/penalties.

The “forward” is a really loose term as well. Is it a striker? Or another wide player or an attacking midfielder? We probably need two of them but preferably an attacking midfielder.

We only need another defender if we’re persevering with the 3 at the back so I’d imagine it’s here to stay. I’d also hope it’s a wing back but it’ll probably be another centre back.

I don't think I've ever seen a team have consistent success with three CBs other than where they also have a significant talent advantage. It's an objectively sub-optimal system.

7 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

We only need another defender if we’re persevering with the 3 at the back

It would be nice to have another defender in the sense that quite a few of the defenders already in the team are quite bad at defending. On the other hand, what's not to like about just having seven mediocre defenders on the pitch at once?

4 hours ago, Iain said:

I don't think I've ever seen a team have consistent success with three CBs other than where they also have a significant talent advantage. It's an objectively sub-optimal system.

I was trying to think of a team at our level that had successfully used that formation. Am I right in saying that Tom Hendrie's St Mirren deployed it the year they won the division? I seem to remember they did but it was a while ago now.