The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

8 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Cant believe we could be seeing the ghost this coming week , visa granted and believe flights booked 

Listening to Sportsound yesterday, Aberdeen have been in the same boat. Most of their summer signings are currently waiting on visas apparently. 

17 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

and when The Ghost arrives, will we be playing him in a midfield three with Dempsey and Murdoch? That will be three defensive minded midfielders and 3 central defenders - wow.

If we persist with 352 then I see the middle three being JML , the ghost and either Murdy or Dempsey . However I think 451 is the more likely formation. , which would include Murdy and Dempsey . 

Great news though that the ghost is on his way ...

The 3/5/2 or 5/3/2 needs killed with fire. Especially at home. Our home performances and results really need to improve. You won't add to the attendances when the majority of our good play is away from home.

We still need 2 experienced pros at the right age (28 or so) to come in and do a job to lift this whole squad. Without the right additions I fear we're in for another hard slog this season. I hope I'm wrong but it's feeling ominous at present.

If Bullen signs the right players with whatever money he has left then he can play 352 if he wants. If he doesn’t then it’s obvious he’ll have to change his plans or risk being out of a job.

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If Bullen signs the right players with whatever money he has left then he can play 352 if he wants. If he doesn’t then it’s obvious he’ll have to change his plans or risk being out of a job.

If he does plan on playing 352 then you’ve got to ask why JML was signed and O’Connor re-signed. 

25 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

If he does plan on playing 352 then you’ve got to ask why JML was signed and O’Connor re-signed. 

Totally agree. I don't believe for a second that this was his initial plan, I don't think we played 3-5-2 until the. Elgin game. It's the worst formation going. 

To play 3-4-3? Was JML not signed as someone who can play along the front three as well. Plus it gives you different options depending on what the situation is. I agree that those two signings don’t scream three at the back but I think you can fit them in.

Maxwell's 5 goals and 2 assists now looks rather good for a raw young lad, although he certainly took pelters on here. Currently this team has nowhere near the goals or formation to stay up, early days ofcourse, but warning signs are there and must be addressed and soon. 

9 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:
10 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:
From our current squad they only managed 11 goals in this league last year. Based on Dipos performances so far we’ll be lucky to get 5 goals out him. We’re clearly needing another striker who will get 10+ Plus an attacking midfielder to get 5+ to be anything other than cannon fodder this season. 

Very unfair denied at least 3 by cracking saves, hit the wood work twice and wasted one chance he should have buried in his two games, I'd be more concerned if he was not getting in position's to score.

QOS could also have had another five though. The reason people are wishing upon a star for a 20+ striker is that the rest of the team folds like a cheap suit as soon as anyone so much as puts an aimless punt into the middle of them.

13 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

From our current squad they only managed 11 goals in this league last year. Based on Dipos performances so far we’ll be lucky to get 5 goals out him. We’re clearly needing another striker who will get 10+ Plus an attacking midfielder to get 5+ to be anything other than cannon fodder this season. 

I'm sorry, I'm just not getting this at all.

He was outstanding against QOS, he forced about 3 great saves from their keeper, he hit the post, he hit the bar and he constantly had 2 and 3 defenders tight to him, I honestly don't know what people are rationally expecting and on another night with a wee touch of luck he'd have scored 3 or 4.

Shankland scored so many of his goals due to the passing and movement of Moffat, Forrest, McDaid (and even Moore when he played) as they pulled players away from Shankland and gave him space to run into, unfortunately our current Midfield and wide men are so deep and so static that they don't offer that to Dipo and the likes of O'Connor and Ashford aren't getting involved enough and don't have as good movement as the aforementioned players.

I did notice a very positive change in our attacking play when JML came on and I firmly believe that given the game time that they will form a good partnership but we still need another attacking option, either as a partner or as an attack minded Midfielder to take some of the slack and provide Dipo with some space to operate and if he gets that he'll score a barrel load for us, of that I've little doubt.

It's been two games for Dipo, if he bags a goal or two at Galabank or McDiarmid Park everybody will be signing his praises. It's only the first two competitive games, It's no panic stations yet. I'll worry if the 5-3-2 stays if it clearly doesn't work, but as of now it's still only two cup games and the team are still gelling.

4 minutes ago, southsiderayr said:

It's been two games for Dipo, if he bags a goal or two at Galabank or McDiarmid Park everybody will be signing his praises. It's only the first two competitive games, It's no panic stations yet. I'll worry if the 5-3-2 stays if it clearly doesn't work, but as of now it's still only two cup games and the team are still gelling.

Can his praises play up front?

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I'm sorry, I'm just not getting this at all.

He was outstanding against QOS, he forced about 3 great saves from their keeper, he hit the post, he hit the bar and he constantly had 2 and 3 defenders tight to him, I honestly don't know what people are rationally expecting and on another night with a wee touch of luck he'd have scored 3 or 4.

Shankland scored so many of his goals due to the passing and movement of Moffat, Forrest, McDaid (and even Moore when he played) as they pulled players away from Shankland and gave him space to run into, unfortunately our current Midfield and wide men are so deep and so static that they don't offer that to Dipo and the likes of O'Connor and Ashford aren't getting involved enough and don't have as good movement as the aforementioned players.

I did notice a very positive change in our attacking play when JML came on and I firmly believe that given the game time that they will form a good partnership but we still need another attacking option, either as a partner or as an attack minded Midfielder to take some of the slack and provide Dipo with some space to operate and if he gets that he'll score a barrel load for us, of that I've little doubt.

The above is pretty much spot on . Although Dipo is more a Craig Moore upgrade than anything like  the style of the great LS . In short a penalty box striker . So given that last season’s tally of 38 goals will have to be taken up to 50 if we are to have the kind of season we all want, then we need to squeeze every goal we can out of Dipo and hope the rest can up their games as well . I agree JML will help as he does look decent , question is will he play on the wing or is he our no 10 . ? 

The Ghosts arrival might signal four at the back as no doubt he’ll be our midfield anchor , Aero’s old role last season . This would allow another three or four in midfield depending what happens up front . Nevertheless JML ,Dipo and the Ghost would appear to be bolt ons for our walk on starting eleven . The rest I think will depend on the two coming in I’d reckon .

I don't think Dipo is the issue....yet, he's in amongst it hitting the post, being saved ect, there is however no obvious goals from elsewhere, even the signing of Crawford wouldn't help that as his goals record is miserable and surprisingly so is his assists. Still a captain type central mid, striker and attacking mid required