The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Great wee bit of fun yesterday at the bowling with the gaffer and ladies, gents, and young volunteers. One of the ladies a wee lass from Australia was outstanding, Frankie and Patrick were good too .Hope to do this again at the end of the season and put something on for the guys. No football discussions about results and all the players seemed to be pretty relaxed and were great with the fans.

21 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s also eaten more pies than the entirety of Ayr combined.

I used to think Harkins was a bit overweight myself but since I’ve turned 30 I’ve had a new appreciation for anyone who can look semi fit.

17 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Robbie Crawford still surprisingly a free agent so wouldn't rule that out from still happening and on the evidence of Tuesday night i'd say we need more of a box to box midfielder which he is 

Surprised he’s not ended up at Darvel yet. 

14 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Robbie Crawford still surprisingly a free agent so wouldn't rule that out from still happening and on the evidence of Tuesday night i'd say we need more of a box to box midfielder which he is 

On the evidence of Tuesday night I’d say we need a second striker thus mitigating our main striker (Dipo) having an off night . The question is what does Bully mean by looking for a player who plays in an advanced area ? Are we looking at an attacking midfielder or a forward . Bully also hinted that experience of the Scottish game would be desirable . There are a few strikers with Championship experience still available Danny Mullen would probably be out of our range but surely we could afford either Gozie Ugwa or Matej Poplantik . Both just about got into double figures last season so ....

If it is an advanced midfielder then Robbie would be a decent shout , but the lad can’t tackle/ won’t tackle so I doubt he’d stiffen our midfield as such . Decent linking up and pushing forward though ..

41 minutes ago, North British said:

On the evidence of Tuesday night I’d say we need a second striker thus mitigating our main striker (Dipo) having an off night . The question is what does Bully mean by looking for a player who plays in an advanced area ? Are we looking at an attacking midfielder or a forward . Bully also hinted that experience of the Scottish game would be desirable . There are a few strikers with Championship experience still available Danny Mullen would probably be out of our range but surely we could afford either Gozie Ugwa or Matej Poplantik . Both just about got into double figures last season so ....

If it is an advanced midfielder then Robbie would be a decent shout , but the lad can’t tackle/ won’t tackle so I doubt he’d stiffen our midfield as such . Decent linking up and pushing forward though ..

Unfortunately the game has almost become non contact, even at our level, and it seems more about blocking and shepherding nowadays. Robbie can be infuriating but we've got Dempsey and Murdoch to do all the dirty work and Robbie would be ideal for linking up play and let us play the ball on the deck much more. The only downside is that he doesn't score anywhere near enough goals and I'd say we need to be looking at a Midfielder who can realistically add 7+ goals a season for us and I wouldn't be sure that he'd be that guy.

32 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Unfortunately the game has almost become non contact, even at our level, and it seems more about blocking and shepherding nowadays. Robbie can be infuriating but we've got Dempsey and Murdoch to do all the dirty work and Robbie would be ideal for linking up play and let us play the ball on the deck much more. The only downside is that he doesn't score anywhere near enough goals and I'd say we need to be looking at a Midfielder who can realistically add 7+ goals a season for us and I wouldn't be sure that he'd be that guy.

Gonna be nearly impossible to get a midfielder in that can hit over 7/8 goals a season on the money we pay . Hard enough to find a striker that can get above that number . I would say another striker is a must , Ashford , Bryden , O’Conner etc have at no time hinted that they could get above half a dozen goals .. We need an improvement on last season’s 39 goals if we want to be involved in the other play off’s ...

4 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

The longer this recruitment goes on it has the hallmarks of waiting on the big two deciding who is going out on loan

It does smack of loans to be fair , hopefully not youths from the old firm however . We need experience, so hopefully if it does turn out to be loans its guys who have been over this course before and are looking for a fresh start and regular football . 

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Most teams on the Championship would bite your hand off for a striker that got 7+ goals, and your moaning about a midfielder not reaching that?

Most teams on the Championship would bite your hand off for a striker that got 7+ goals, and your moaning about a midfielder not reaching that?

A lot of fans are stuck in the mindset of “needing” a 20 goal a season striker when the top scorer in this league very rarely hits that. Realistically what you want is to have a player, be it a striker, winger or attacking midfielder to hit 10-12 goals and a handful of other players to hit anything between 3-5.

There’s a big question whether we have a striker capable of getting double figures in Akinyemi but we also need Ashford to be doing a bit better in front of goal and we need an attacking midfielder capable of chipping in with a couple. If the requirement for a midfielder is to hit double figures then we aren’t going to get that. Stephen Kelly is probably the best attacking midfielder we’ve had since we came back up to this league and from memory I think he only got at very most 5 goals over all competitions.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

A lot of fans are stuck in the mindset of “needing” a 20 goal a season striker when the top scorer in this league very rarely hits that. Realistically what you want is to have a player, be it a striker, winger or attacking midfielder to hit 10-12 goals and a handful of other players to hit anything between 3-5.

There’s a big question whether we have a striker capable of getting double figures in Akinyemi but we also need Ashford to be doing a bit better in front of goal and we need an attacking midfielder capable of chipping in with a couple. If the requirement for a midfielder is to hit double figures then we aren’t going to get that. Stephen Kelly is probably the best attacking midfielder we’ve had since we came back up to this league and from memory I think he only got at very most 5 goals over all competitions.

I'd rather we had a few players capable of chipping in with goals than relying on one player to score a large amount.

We toiled badly last season when Adeloye wasn't scoring, and (to a lesser extent) had quite the dip in form when Shankland was injured in 18/19.

From our current squad they only managed 11 goals in this league last year. Based on Dipos performances so far we’ll be lucky to get 5 goals out him. We’re clearly needing another striker who will get 10+ Plus an attacking midfielder to get 5+ to be anything other than cannon fodder this season. 

1 minute ago, ayrunitedfw said:

From our current squad they only managed 11 goals in this league last year. Based on Dipos performances so far we’ll be lucky to get 5 goals out him. We’re clearly needing another striker who will get 10+ Plus an attacking midfielder to get 5+ to be anything other than cannon fodder this season. 

Doomed captain 

Very unfair denied at least 3 by cracking saves, hit the wood work twice and wasted one chance he should have buried in his two games, I'd be more concerned if he was not getting in position's to score.

7 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
32 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Very unfair denied at least 3 by cracking saves, hit the wood work twice and wasted one chance he should have buried in his two games, I'd be more concerned if he was not getting in position's to score.

Agree. Probably more to come from him. But for somebody not quite up to speed he still manages to get in a surprising number of shots. Was unlucky not to score 2 at the very least. The one that hit the bar was a belter. 

21 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

Dipo’s performance v QoS was very similar to Tomi’s v Hamilton last season . He got the shots off and was in position many times . I have to worries with Dipo , I have him down for 14/15 goals this season hopefully starting on Tuesday . My only issues is what happens during a dip in form or injury ? Also hopefully we have the courage to go two up front at times . So and there Championship proven striker would be extremely helpful . We need another dozen goals on last season’s total and defo need to ship a lot less than 52 .  

Dipo will be fine, he looks a good player - not concerned about him in the slightest.

What I am concerned about is Bullen trying to play 3-5-2, it's a fucking grim watch at the best of times and we just don't have the personnel to make it worthwhile. 

If and when The Ghost arrives, will we be playing him in a midfield three with Dempsey and Murdoch? That will be three defensive minded midfielders and 3 central defenders - wow.

8 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Dipo will be fine, he looks a good player - not concerned about him in the slightest.

What I am concerned about is Bullen trying to play 3-5-2, it's a fucking grim watch at the best of times and we just don't have the personnel to make it worthwhile. 

If and when The Ghost arrives, will we be playing him in a midfield three with Dempsey and Murdoch? That will be three defensive minded midfielders and 3 central defenders - wow.

Cant believe we could be seeing the ghost this coming week , visa granted and believe flights booked