The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Talking about players and managing his own team aren’t mutually exclusive. He can do both.

Some people are just very touchy when it comes to Tomi being criticised. It’s very bizarre.

It’s probably the minority of managers who criticise players once they’ve gone and many prefer to keep it in house. Bullen soeaks well because he has life experience but he’s also a rookie manager. He may still be learning in the job with a lot of these things 

1 minute ago, Thumper said:

This is a somewhat euphemistic way of saying "whether the players the club has signed are actually any good at football or not", and yet that very much isn't problem 1 considering how much of the first-team squad still consists of people who were barely capable of staying in this league over the last two seasons.

Nope. Last year we had lots of defenders , less midfielders and minimal attackers. If we’ve sorted out that problem then any player will be less of a loss 

Not as touchy as you are about being called out for posting drivel about Dundee passing on Tomi because of attitude tbf.
Tomi is gone. I get that some people are hurting and some never liked the guy for reasons. Just let him go. No need for the character assassination. 
Wish him well and move on. I find it bizarre to do otherwise.

Didn’t see you get this worked up about it when the Dundee fan posted it. I wasn’t posting it as fact, simply re-sharing what a few of their fans had been speaking about on their forum. It’s not a hard one to believe either when you actually think about it.

There’s no character assassination either so you can drop the hysterics. He’s hardly being painted as some sort of villain.

It’s probably the minority of managers who criticise players once they’ve gone and many prefer to keep it in house. Bullen soeaks well because he has life experience but he’s also a rookie manager. He may still be learning in the job with a lot of these things 

I didn’t even take as him criticising the players. If the players took it that way then they’ve got even thinner skin than David Smith when he first bought the club.

10 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Not as touchy as you are about being called out for posting drivel about Dundee passing on Tomi because of attitude tbf.

Tomi is gone. I get that some people are hurting and some never liked the guy for reasons. Just let him go. No need for the character assassination. 

Wish him well and move on. I find it bizarre to do otherwise.

I mean, 14 clubs at the age of 26 is enough of a red flag in itself tbh.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Didn’t see you get this worked up about it when the Dundee fan posted it. I wasn’t posting it as fact, simply re-sharing what a few of their fans had been speaking about on their forum. It’s not a hard one to believe either when you actually think about it.

There’s no character assassination either so you can drop the hysterics. He’s hardly being painted as some sort of villain.

I don't tend to read other team's threads so no I wouldn't have seen it. 

I think Tomi is the sort of guy who needs an arm round the shoulder and talked up. Uncle Ian was great at that. I don't believe he has a stinking attitude and is a disruptive influence as some would have you believe. As often, the truth will be somewhere in between.

As for hysterics, perhaps take your own advice?

I don't think anyone connected to the club said he had an attitude problem or was disruptive. I'm sure it was things like he was a complex guy and that he required a bit of man-management and understanding. To me, that would suggest maybe he needed some help with confidence and being quite far from home probably didn't help him.

Personally, I wasn't fussed that he wasn't the type of forward who ran aimlessly. He could have stayed rooted to the 18 yard box all game for all I cared, so long as he scored goals, which he did (although we could debate whether or not he should have scored more).

The only issue I have is that things really dragged out over the summer and it seemed like he (or his agent) was happy to string the club along while looking for more money elsewhere. I don't think we'd be discussing him in as much detail still had he just turned round after the final game and said he was away.

Either way, this is all moot as he isn't an Ayr player anymore. Good luck to him, hopefully being closer to home and a two year can provide the stability for him to realise the potential he has.

9 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Sounds like you are describing Gary Harkins to me. 🤣

Curious, as he had been with half the number of clubs Adeloye's been with at that age. All better teams, too.

Edited by RossBFaeDundee

23 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Sounds like you are describing Gary Harkins to me. 🤣

Only another 2 clubs for Adeloye to match GGH's total! 11 years on his side to do so.

Edited by Ludo*1

Harkins came to us at what? 30? Don’t think he’d actually played for that many clubs at that point. It’s also been suggested that the guy was going through a few personal problems when he came to us which means I’m not an inclined to give him as much stick as other players who’ve rocked up at Somerset and contributed very little.

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Of anyone out there, the manager is the most qualified to speak about him. We have no idea what he was like behind the scenes but I can’t see why Bullen would make anything up about him. I wouldn’t have said he was being negative. Just honest about what kind of character he is.

If the player had been willing to accept the wage we offered him then fine I’d have kept him but there was no way we should’ve gave into his demands and paid him way over the odds what he was worth.

Bottom part remains to be seen tbh - if our goal threat remains at the current standard then it would have been well worth paying over the odds for Adeloye. 

Bottom part remains to be seen tbh - if our goal threat remains at the current standard then it would have been well worth paying over the odds for Adeloye. 

It’s never worth compromising your wage structure for a player. It very rarely ends well. We also have no idea what he could be asking for. Bullen said we couldn’t even get near it which could suggest it’s possibly upwards of £1500-2000.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

It’s never worth compromising your wage structure for a player. It very rarely ends well. We also have no idea what he could be asking for. Bullen said we couldn’t even get near it which could suggest it’s possibly upwards of £1500-2000.

Of course it is, if you are absolutely shite without them and it significantly increases your chances of relegation. 

To an extent obviously, not a crazy amount over.

Of course it is, if you are absolutely shite without them and it significantly increases your chances of relegation. 

To an extent obviously, not a crazy amount over.

Well that’s my point. I can’t see it being a case of Ayr not wanting to pay an extra couple hundred quid. I think both parties were just way off in their validation and if Tomis agent was badly advising him it’s possible he told him not to budge from his asking amount. I think if Ayr had genuinely been able to keep him they would’ve.