The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

The swathe of fans that exited in unison after the third goal must have been brutal for the bench and hierarchy to see.

Smith is away on holiday so wouldn’t of seen it. I’d imagine Mathie would of been there though 

Hopefully sends a pretty clear message though. 

37 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Failing to see why there was so much hype around Dempsey. Guy has been anonymous in both games but these kinds of players tend to escape scrutiny because they don’t make any mistakes. Whole team is just another binfire and I can’t think of another championship team worse than us at the minute.

I imagine because he was largely excellent last season and provided the entire side with a tempo sorely missing without him... works best in a three IMO. 

He really just comes across a boring man and that reflects in his football, when he talks a just feel like it’s nothing it’s hard to describe. A feel nothing to him don’t even think a hate him he’s just to so bland and feel like we’re already going through the motions like we did half of last season.

50 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

Failing to see why there was so much hype around Dempsey. Guy has been anonymous in both games but these kinds of players tend to escape scrutiny because they don’t make any mistakes. Whole team is just another binfire and I can’t think of another championship team worse than us at the minute.

Attacking wise he's limited but his game is more high tempo and pressing the opposition to try and win it back and putting his foot in which we didn't have last season before he arrived. 

Issue is it's difficult to press in a 5-2-3 as if the opposition can beat it or bypass it then it leaves the defence exposed.

For me every issue can be related back to the formation.

10 minutes ago, Death in Vegas said:

He really just comes across a boring man and that reflects in his football, when he talks a just feel like it’s nothing it’s hard to describe. A feel nothing to him don’t even think a hate him he’s just to so bland and feel like we’re already going through the motions like we did half of last season.

I actually find Bullen quite engaging. I thought he was good at the vision night and very open about transfer targets. The problem is that when it comes to puting it on the park and implementing a style of play he seems to have no idea. He dodges questions about style and systems and talks about doing the basics right, winning your duels, giving your all etc.

I genuinely have no idea what we are trying to do. 5 at the back has been a catastrophe every time we've tried it. Did Partick not give us a 4 goal shoeing at their place last season when we went 5 at the back.

More worryingly, even under Hopkins rabble we managed to progress from the League Cup group stage. That is looking like a tall order just now. I appreciate we had a walkover against Falkirk last year but missing out on the knockouts will be a financial hit and probably one less player.

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

McGinty at the third goal, f**k me - not that anyone else is covering themselves in glory either. 

Still waiting outside the club shop waiting on a ticket to get back in. 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Still waiting outside the club shop waiting on a ticket to get back in. 

It wasn’t even like he fucked up once either, at the start and the end of the SPFL clip. In between QOS sauntering about toying with us - truly pathetic stuff!

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

I don’t think it is worse than the one that started last season, at all.

The defence has got to be better purely by the addition of Musonda as a replacement for any of the 3 centre halves who left. Dempsey is unquestionably an upgrade on Sleepy Joe in midfield. Out wide it’s much of a muchness.

The only area we’re worse off in is up front with Tomi leaving. I’d like to think we’re looking for a replacement.

The squad might well turn out to be still shite but on paper it’s far more balanced than the one Hopkin built which had about 15 defenders and 2 midfielders.

I’d say the issue is far more that they’re being set up the same way Hopkin had them last season - getting as many defenders on the pitch as possible and being told to run about lots.

I meant at the end of the season. You had Baird and Muirhead as well as Fjortoft, now we have Musonda who was suspect a couple of times last night but none of his mistakes led to goals, a 19 year old who has never played mens football before and Sean McfuckinGinty with no one to replace them unless we play McCallister or Bangala if he exists.

Midfield we have Murdoch, Dempsey and children

Attack we have Ashford who has the scoring average of a full back and Dipo who is in danger of becoming a joke due to how bad his finishing is. It’s like he is actively trying to hit the goalkeepers mid drift at every opportunity. 
So now we have a team that lost 3-4 key players and replaced them with 3 players who have not been, at best, notable and one who hasn’t been seen since he signed.

Towards the end of the season, we were competing well but individual errors were killing us, we are still making the errors but now are getting bullied, shiting out of challenges and having QOTS turning up and making a fool of us. 
We have gone from needing 2 new players to needing about 5 at least. 

2 hours ago, AllySloan said:

How did Kirk get on last night?

He made a few runs from the back that took us up the pitch and looked comfortable on the ball. One of those runs he overcommitted and ended up half a pitch out of position and nearly cost a goal. 
He looked at fault at the first goal, not sure if he knew McGinty was leaving it or he didn’t know the guy was behind him but it looked a shambles. 

Was, in the main ok, some of his clearances were weak and put us under pressure again but his composure on the ball was good  

Edited by diegomarahenry

Last night was a total disaster and there's no getting away from it. My main takes would be,

Mcadams - simply not good enough on high cross balls and Albinson must start as our number 1.

Houston - did ok up to a point but hasn't got the pace or crossing ability to play as a wing back.

Dempsey - did very little but think we'll see the best of him against teams who try and play through us.

McGinty - good and bad as usual with his "bad" costing goal / goals.

Musonda - Had an utter nightmare and was far too casual in possession and not very committed looking when tackling.

O'Connor - Didn't get involved enough and struggled to beat his man when finally did. Finishing also very poor.

Reading - Seems to flatter to deceive, can look great in flashes but poor at other times, lacks consistency.

Ashford - Had a decent first half and linked up well with Dipo at times but seemed to fade out the game and didn't influence it enough.

Murdoch - On the plus side, I thought Murdoch put in a right good shift and did what he could, although it didn't always come off.

Kirk - Was quite impressive, a big strong boy with good pace, control and a great long throw, I also noticed him geeing up the team after we conceded goals which shows strong character in a young boy. Still raw but could be a big player for us.

Akinyemi - Dipo was superb, his workrate was excellent, he never gave up and on another night could have had 5 or 6, his finishing isn't bad but just luck was totally against him. I think he'll be a huge player for us this season, especially if we get him some decent service.

Mitchell Lawson - I was very impressed with him, he changed the whole dynamic of our team when he came on and looks to have good skill and pace to burn, should possibly have scored when hitting at keeper but looks like he could be top notch.

All in all it was pretty depressing, Queens were very annoying with their play acting and time wasting tactics from about 15 mins in, however we simply didn't do enough and the defensive mistakes were like something from Boys Brigade U11's. It's still very early days but these fundamental problems will need dealt with and dealt with fast, unless we want anchored to the bottom of the table for most of the season !!

I think I must have been watching a different game to others. Its maybe a consequence of our stream quality versus being there in person.

Edit - I also don't think the goalie is that bad. I haven't watched the lowlights as yet. Albinson looked good against Elgin City but he's not a shotstopper. It's a shame we can't combine Albinson and McAdams and we'd have an awesome goalie.

Edited by Trogdor

4 hours ago, pandarilla said:

That could work if one of those three could step out regularly into a holding role in midfield.

I'm more worried by our midfield two and our attacking options (based on reports).

What's happened to Murdoch?

And is the boy up front offering anything?

Ashford looked a really handful on the wing at the end of last season and o,daire can obviously be hit or miss.

But we need a threat going forward.

I'm not getting this at all.

Dipo was undoubtedly the best player on the pitch last night, Yes, he hit the bar, Yes, he hit the post, and Yes, he had shots saved and cleared off the line, however he made most of them for himself, he held the ball up brilliantly and brought others into the game and he worked tirelessly closing down the opposition defenders and also making runs into space.

This guy WILL be a star, trust me.

Most of the folk around me last night in the NT agreed with this and I even heard a few saying he was a major upgrade on Tomi and I honestly wouldn't disagree.

JML also looked classy when he came on and once up to full match sharpness will be another major asset.

I wasnt impressed with McAdams last season, I said that he struggled with weak shots from just outside/inside the box. Goals QOS, ICT and Killie scored in the last few weeks of the season typified that. Thought he was poor again last night. Whist Charlie isnt the finished article, I'd start him over McAdams 

Agree with most of Wattoo's assessment other than regarding Kirk. Yes - a big strong boy with good pace, control and a great long throw, but defending he looked all at sea.

Seemed to want to get rid of the ball very quickly when QotS were in our final third, and when he did so gave it away in some very dangerous areas. Looked largely responsible for the goal that McGinty seems to be getting the flak for. Cannot be too harsh on his first game, and he will be inconsistent but to me looked like what he is - a player with only 12 senior games under his belt with a lot to learn still. And learn at our expense. 

Hopefully he can quickly be what you saw "raw but could be a big player for us" but I didn't see enough to share your optimism yet I'm afraid.

Musonda was the biggest disappointment to me; was my MotM on Saturday but last night looked naive, too casually dispossessed and shirked a a fair few tackles. Hopefully just an early lesson not to believe his own hype, and maybe thinking he can just walk this Scottish League stuff, and he'll knuckle down again. I think if we have found a good new defender it is most likely to be him. 

Edited by Yid_in_Exiile