The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

If Bullen was wanting to play a 3-5-2 then I would assume we would have made it a priority to:

- Sign wing backs capable of playing that role. 
- Not have signed attacking/creative wide players just to sit them on the bench. 

I can only assume he was experimenting, as fucking mental as it was. 

Aye. If that's the formation he wants to play (which McGinty still being captain and the boy from Arsenal signing with still chat of another CB signing suggests it might be) then what on earth are we paying O'connor or Mitchell-Lawson for, as they will be a waste of a wage.   

All this talk of possible signing new attacking players yet just about every one available was on the bench today.   Absolutely brutal. 

The more I think about it, the fact that despite the big problem in the second half of last season being that we couldn't find a way to break down and beat the other shite teams in the league we still (with an absolute clean slate and loads of attacking options on bench) set up so negatively hoping to sneak a 1-0 today is mind boggling.   

Still. QoS next.  That's going to go well eh.   

Glad to be back at Somerset and in glorious sunshine! The game was a bit meh.  Thought Dipo had a stinker, summed up by his pen miss, but big Charlie was the hero. Still cant get over folk who dont know the "rules" of the League Cup. So many streamed out at FT only to try and get back in when they realised it went to pens if it was a draw
Anyone know why penalties in the league cup don't go to sudden death after the first 5?

What is the fucking point in this? You either have the bonus point or not. There's no advantage that I can see.

4 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Anyone know why penalties in the league cup don't go to sudden death after the first 5?

What is the fucking point in this? You either have the bonus point or not. There's no advantage that I can see.

Don't they? 

I thought they absolutely did 😐

If there’s any game to test these things out then it was yesterday. I don’t think we’ll set up that way this coming season and if we do then Bullen has went daft. We’ve not signed one player that would suggest we are going to play a back 3/5 and the players we have in key positions to make the formation work aren’t suited to it.

Sibbald staying in the Premiership is entirely expected and not much we can do about it at all. All I know it, we haven’t bet our season on him and we were in talks with a handful of midfielders alongside him. Hopefully we can add before Tuesday night.

First half was like a training game, which I think more and more teams are treating these games like and in the second half we had opportunities to bury the game but it just didn’t quite happen. I’m not concerned at this stage as everyone knows we still have to add two or three players to the group.

Difficulty to truly judge with pre season games so can't be too critical. If that does turn out to be a reflection of where we are at then a lot of work is needing done. Thought Musonda looked steady enough and Bryden had some good touches when he came on. After the way last season turned out it would have been good to start off with a win. Shouldn't have been too much of an ask considering the difference in league places

17 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If there’s any game to test these things out then it was yesterday. I don’t think we’ll set up that way this coming season and if we do then Bullen has went daft. We’ve not signed one player that would suggest we are going to play a back 3/5 and the players we have in key positions to make the formation work aren’t suited to it.

Sibbald staying in the Premiership is entirely expected and not much we can do about it at all. All I know it, we haven’t bet our season on him and we were in talks with a handful of midfielders alongside him. Hopefully we can add before Tuesday night.

First half was like a training game, which I think more and more teams are treating these games like and in the second half we had opportunities to bury the game but it just didn’t quite happen. I’m not concerned at this stage as everyone knows we still have to add two or three players to the group.

The question is though, why waste time trying something we don’t have the personnel for?

Positives : the football is back , 1200 at a LC game  , big Charlie saved the bacon once or twice , Frankie settled in nicely , looks like a quality operator . With Alex Kirk due to make his debut on Tuesday , I wonder if Frankie will move out to rightback or slide into sweeper in a three ? 

On to Tuesday , I’d be looking for JML to start , same goes for Bryden up top with Tipo . Something needs done with the central midfield , all too much alike . Still got Bangala to come in at some point I suppose but we could do with a quality addition in there and as others have said perhaps another striker ! Would Danny Mullen be out of our price bracket .? Anyway looking forward to the QoS game , should give us further clues to where we’re at at this point . 

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

We’ve not signed one player that would suggest we are going to play a back 3/5 and the players we have in key positions to make the formation work aren’t suited to it.

Only worry I've got was in post match interview when Callum was praising McAllister and Bullen replied something along the lines of that they may play Kirk ahead of him on Tuesday to have a look at him, which didn't suggest a move from the back 3.

Only worry I've got was in post match interview when Callum was praising McAllister and Bullen replied something along the lines of that they may play Kirk ahead of him on Tuesday to have a look at him, which didn't suggest a move from the back 3.
If we are playing 3 center half's (and I really hope we are not) surely it's got to be something like this, both Redding and Houston need help if playing wing back.
8d07cc1e97d96ff742e18f3696b9abba.jpg

I think we are missing someone in the Moff mould that can link midfield and attack.

Still had too many long passes yesterday that were are best 50/50.

When playing possession based football from the back, we spread out too thinly and we’re guilty of giving possession away as Elgin were man for man if not more in midfield.

When going long, we lost out on too many second balls.

We rarely hunted in packs or had more than 1 pass option at best.

I really think we made that game harder for ourselves than it really needed to be.

Also, I really think we need to play 433

We have 2 really good midfielders in Murdoch and Dempsey, but they will be easily nullified by extra numbers from the opposition.

Dont know for certain but I would be amazed if Bullen thought that was his league starting 11.

45 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

If we are playing 3 center half's (and I really hope we are not) surely it's got to be something like this, both Redding and Houston need help if playing wing back.
8d07cc1e97d96ff742e18f3696b9abba.jpg

If we play 5 at the back then Ashford (Bangala if up to it) need to be playing at RB as Houston simply isn't good enough, fast enough, strong enough or a good enough passer to play this role.

I thought it quite interesting that Alan Forrest was playing RB in a 5 for Hearts recently and apparently was outstanding and scored 2 goals.

The bottom line is that you need quality attacking full backs to play a 5 and Houston certainly isn't that.