The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just had the look and feel of a pre-season game. I got the impression (going by Bullen's comments during the week and today's selection) that the group stage is viewed as an extension of pre-season and it played out like that.

I'd have any of Ashford, JML and O'connor involved from the start, and we have Kirk and Bangala still to be involved. If I'm clutching at straws I'd say it's hard to read too much into today's game, as disappointing as it was.

19 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Let's not go too over the top yet lads and lassies.  I think Bullen is very much treating these matches as pre season and on Tuesday you'll likely see Ashford, O'Connor, JML and possibly Kirk all starting.  I thought Reading had a very good game, Dipo has a far better touch than Tomi and will do well and Musonda was very assured. I've absolutely no time for Mark McKenzie as a football player but he is at least a body who will run when needed. 

I would start to be concerned if we continue with 3-5-2 (more like a 5-3-2 at times) for the next few matches. 

I'm wildly concerned that we played 5-3-2 against a league two team and created no chances. 

39 minutes ago, muZZa__44 said:

Aye Lee it was chance after chance eh.  Dipos header or Dipos one he took forever to shoot and ehhh....a couple of difficult headers off target by Hewitt.  Elgin had the best of the lot with the 1 on 1 before HT haha 

Yes, that was grim stuff but not surprising given that there was no creativity in the side.

Smith TRIED to be our playmaker but is still a bit raw and with 2 other defensive Midfielders beside him and no width then it was always going to be a tough ask.

Ironically, I actually though McKenzie was our most useful and involved player, he actually won us a few corners in the first half and had a couple of crosses and a shot, which is more than the rest managed, that said, I wouldn't have had him playing in the first place and would have gone with Ashford or O'Connor on the right and JML on the left with 4 at the back.

As someone else mentioned, our right hand side with Houston there just isn't good enough to play 5 at the back and we'd also require a quality playmaking attacking Midfielder should we want to play like that with possibly Ashford playing as the right wing back.

On the plus side, the boy from Arsenal looked to be huge and also have a great touch / control when watching him warm up at half time (that was actually more entertaining than the game today) but it's early days of course.

Musonda looked to be a class act, he absolutely strolled it, has pace and a good range of passing, so he should be a very good signing.

Dipo reminds you of Tomi but without the attitude / moaning at ref issue and once he gets up to match fitness with some decent service I think he'll cause lots of problems and score us a good few. One very good moment was when he slipped his marker and sprinted clear only to be dragged back (jersey just about off his back) but he looks like he's got pace to burn plus very strong.

Albinson also had a very good game and apart from his 2 penalty saves his diving at the strikers feet in the first half was superb and saved us from conceding a certain goal.

Other than this, the only other plus points were the weather and the Elgin Physio....

Match was totally meh. 

I am willing to forgive experimenting in the League Cup if it clicks for the League.

That said, this is a proper Cup competition with decent money to be had to get through to the knockouts. It could mean another signing if we get through.

Remember when we signed Liam Smith? That was thanks to qualifying from our League Cup group.

6 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Match was totally meh. 

I am willing to forgive experimenting in the League Cup if it clicks for the League.

That said, this is a proper Cup competition with decent money to be had to get through to the knockouts. It could mean another signing if we get through.

Remember when we signed Liam Smith? That was thanks to qualifying from our League Cup group.

Yes, it would have made much more sense to me had we lined up with our expected first string 11 or thereabouts, blown Elgin away and then made subs later on when in command.

That way you lift the 3 points and it's better bringing on the young players in a winning team where they can relax a little and play with more freedom etc.

Having said that, Elgin played well today and deserve the plaudits for trying to play football and they did play some decent stuff at times. Nobody could have had any complaints had they walked away with all 3 points.

Really lacked an energy to the game, whichElgin had in abundance really had one chance where they should have scored very well organised and as said worked there socks off and we struggled to combat that.

I really struggle to see how the boy McKenzie gets anywhere near the team and young Smith was very poor which disappointed me I thought we had a player there.

well documented that a lot on here are happy we are shopping in a different window from the rest, up to now I haven’t seen anything from these boys that they are better than what’s up here already, the Elgin boys proved that today.

Have to give credit to the boy Musondo looks better than what we had last year really strange he was 3/4 choice at Raith.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's Tomi Adeloye like? @Yenititon our thread saying we are in for him.

Well he was our top goalscorer last season, basically kept us up. Most fans had him as no.1 target to retain this season. Never stayed at a club for more than one season. Can no doubt bang in the goals if you play to his strengths.

Needs a lot of hand holding apparently.

Glad to be back at Somerset and in glorious sunshine! The game was a bit meh.  Thought Dipo had a stinker, summed up by his pen miss, but big Charlie was the hero. Still cant get over folk who dont know the "rules" of the League Cup. So many streamed out at FT only to try and get back in when they realised it went to pens if it was a draw

Elgin apparently played twice as many pre-season games as us. It showed, specially 2nd half.

If they'd like some championship experience in their team, maybe we could loan out Houston and McKenzie to them. They might even get a regular game if they show a wee bit of improvement.

45 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What's Tomi Adeloye like? @Yenititon our thread saying we are in for him.

Although he was our top scorer last season he scored the princely sum of 11 in the league. His average time at one club is roughly five minutes. 

Edited by Caledonian

48 minutes ago, Lochwood said:

Really lacked an energy to the game, whichElgin had in abundance really had one chance where they should have scored very well organised and as said worked there socks off and we struggled to combat that.

I really struggle to see how the boy McKenzie gets anywhere near the team and young Smith was very poor which disappointed me I thought we had a player there.

well documented that a lot on here are happy we are shopping in a different window from the rest, up to now I haven’t seen anything from these boys that they are better than what’s up here already, the Elgin boys proved that today.

Have to give credit to the boy Musondo looks better than what we had last year really strange he was 3/4 choice at Raith.

Like who ?

The only 3 that played were Musonda (whom you've singled out for semi praise) Dipo who I thought played ok with a lack of service and Dempsey who did all that was asked of him.

The rest are either blooded Scottish Championship players or have come through our own youth team.

If Musonda and Kirk turn out to be the best two centre backs at the club, will a back three be used to shoehorn McGinty into the team, or will one of them be forced to play out of position?

Defensively, the back 3/5 was fine, the rest of it was a non-event. 

The Centre half’s were passing the ball ok, the problem was from middle to front, we played 5 at the back and seemed to have zero width. Our main forward threat appeared to be Reading and we hardly used it.

I think we need either a sitting, ball playing midfielder like Kerr or a Crawford/Sibbald type that can move the ball forward. Our best spells were when we moved the ball quickly but the rest of the time we were flat and we looked the part time team at points. 

We needed more attacking changes during the game, possibly going to a back 4 and bringing on Ashford and O’Conner for Smith and McCallister, leaving McKenzie and Dipo as a front 2 might have been better. 

I don’t understand why we went defensive against the lowest ranked team in the group, at home, then made like for like subs when things were obviously not working. 

That is the last time I ever stream a game. The commentary was absolutely tinpot to the highest level, for the first few minutes the camera was fixed on the half way line (to which they just blamed the guy who wasn’t there) and the graphics were often wrong for players going off etc. The only reason I streamed is because I’m abroad and wanted to see our new players. I’ve said it before, but Black and White TV/formerly AU Media is the face of the club at points, and it’s utterly embarrassing.

It was a cringe fest from start to finish. I hate to think what they actually said about Tomi at the time, but if we are going to continue with streaming matches, it needs to be more of a professional set up. I fully understand the time and effort that Callum etc have given up for the best part of nearly a decade, but it’s not good enough anymore. I don’t know what the solution is, whether it’s interviewing for commentary positions/video editing positions, or having skilled people who volunteer to support the current set up? It would be brutal to “sack” the current set up, but something needs to be done and I’d like to think they realise that. I fully support the hiring of students to give them a chance when appropriate, such as the photographer/videographer we had last season.

To sum up, it’s 2022 and the media content needs to be up to scratch, there’s no excuse as it has the potential to make us a considerable amount of cash, and there’s a skilled workforce out there.

If Bullen was wanting to play a 3-5-2 then I would assume we would have made it a priority to:

- Sign wing backs capable of playing that role. 
- Not have signed attacking/creative wide players just to sit them on the bench. 

I can only assume he was experimenting, as fucking mental as it was.