The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Have seen a bit of this lad for their under 23's as through English side of the family I have a keen interest in Arsenal. He looks a decent prospect. Ball playing centre half with good aerial presence and strong in the tackle.

Arsenal rate him so looks a very good addition.

It means absolutely f**k all that he comes from Arsenal tbh - another wait and see, but hopefully a good one given the size of club. 

I agree to a certain extent, but the fact he’s been in a first EPL squad must say something…?

Are Sibbald and Crawford still on the cards or have I missed something? I’m in Italy and was convinced the imminent was going to be Sibbald.

It means absolutely f**k all that he comes from Arsenal tbh - another wait and see, but hopefully a good one given the size of club. 

I think it means quite a lot that he comes from Arsenal actually. To be on Arsenal’s books and starting to feature around the first team squad at his age is huge. I’m really surprised we’ve managed to be entrusted with his development - would expect Arsenal youngsters to be loaned out to Scottish Premiership teams and more likely Championship or League 1 clubs in England or development clubs in Europe.

We’ll need to see how he adapts to this level but it’s a surprising and encouraging signing in a lot of ways.

Just now, ryanayr1987 said:

Major coup, he is very highly rated and is exactly what we need. Arsenal aren’t going to send him here without wanting him to play so what do you reckon? Musonda and Kirk partnership? 

Maybe three at the back . First class business .

1 minute ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Major coup, he is very highly rated and is exactly what we need. Arsenal aren’t going to send him here without wanting him to play so what do you reckon? Musonda and Kirk partnership? 

Possibly Musonda at RB if Houston doesn't rediscover his form with Kirk and McGinty as the centre back pairing?

I can't see McGinty being dropped any time soon his form since January, he's club captain and the most experienced player we have, he would need to spectacularly revert to his old form to drop out, can see Musonda starting out with McGinty and maybe moving to Right back if Houston plays like he did last season.

41 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

It can go either way with loanees from English under 23 sides, no matter how big the club are tbh. Just from experience, QP had luis Longstaff on loan from Liverpool last season. On the face of it, been capped at English under 17 level and played once in the cup for the 1st team suggests he’d be a coup but he turned out to be an utter diddy with little heart and that was in league 1. 

The Arsenal kid may well turn out to be a star but it’s the gulf in physicality from under 23 football to men’s football that plays the biggest factor in whether they make or break up here

Edited by qpfc

6 minutes ago, qpfc said:

It can go either way with loanees from English under 23 sides, no matter how big the club are tbh. Just from experience, QP had luis Longstaff on loan from Liverpool last season. On the face of it, been capped at English under 17 level and played once in the cup for the 1st team suggests he’d be a coup but he turned out to be an utter diddy with little heart and that was in league 1. 

The Arsenal kid may well turn out to be a star but it’s the gulf in physicality from under 23 football to men’s football that plays the biggest factor in whether they make or break up here

Yeah Morton had some mince guy, Kazaiah Sterling, on loan from Tottenham a couple seasons back.  Can go either way with these.  

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

This is an incredibly negative way to look at signing a young talent from a top English team, but Frosty has covered it in his response. Delighted this is finally over the line, was getting nervous after it went quiet start of last week.

Do YouTube vids really count for anything?

Pretty sure I could make a compilation of myself to look world class.

Anyway, bit of a strange one going into the season I have absolutely no idea what to expect. Previous seasons maybe had an inkling but not a thing this time. Maybe one advantage is that other teams, I think, are a bit behind us in terms of a full squad so maybe we can steal a march early on

I think we need to be realistic and temper expectations a bit. @qpfc hit the nail on the head for me. See Sammut (Chelsea U23) and Sterling (Spurs U23) as recent examples in the Scottish Championship.

Let's see how Kirk does. Fingers crossed he can make the step up to senior football as he has all the attributes to be a success.

If he develops it could be the start of a productive relationship with Arsenal. They've already done more than our partners Burnley.