The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

32 minutes ago, Death in Vegas said:

Is anybody really confident this year of say making the play offs does anyone really feel that the now?

Under Kerr I was confident we would make them, just shows you.

Our next 3/4 signings need to be big improvements for me. Seeing the team down on paper has made me feel a lot more pessimistic.

We're at least one centre half, possibly two, away from being anywhere near the play-offs imo.

44 minutes ago, honestly united said:

At the moment Im confident we will finish 8th or above, but dont think we will be challenging for the playoffs quite yet.

IM mainly hoping we are more solid than last year, which you would hope a midfield 3 of Bangala, Murdoch and Dempsey would make us and hopefully will help us string a few passes together which we didnt do under Hopkins. We have Smith and Hewitt to cover who are both ready to be starting so to me that looks good, unless we want to add an attacking centre mid.

Then hopefully our attacking players in O'connor, JML, Ashford and Dipo can create and finish some chances. We need another CF type as if anything happens to Dipo we could struggle, (or if he turns out to be mince)

The defence is still the big worry though, our keepers did well last year considering what was in front of them, but in reality we have kept 3 of the 4 main starters and brought in a new CH. Im really hoping we get 1 experinced CH in, and probably another on loan to cover.

I think we will play more football than last years hoofball, but be solid but unspectacular, which if it keeps us safe is probably ok

Well, this is a thoroughly depressing post. 

Jury is still very much out on Bullen. While there was a slight improvement when he came in it wasn’t big enough to say he’s definitely the right person to lead us forward long term. Just as a comparison the impact Dougie Imrie made at Morton is much more impressive than the one Bullen made.  That being said I do feel more confident having him in charge rathe thanKerr/Hopkin/Duffy.

Given the quality of the league I’d regard anything other than top 4 a failure this season. If we narrowly miss out but we can see there has been significant improvement then that may also be acceptable. 

We still require at least 1 CB hopefully 2 and an attacking midfielder that is going to chip in with 5+ goals as asking Dipo to match Tomis total from last season is a big ask. 

5 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Jury is still very much out on Bullen. While there was a slight improvement when he came in it wasn’t big enough to say he’s definitely the right person to lead us forward long term. Just as a comparison the impact Dougie Imrie made at Morton is much more impressive than the one Bullen made.  That being said I do feel more confident having him in charge rathe thanKerr/Hopkin/Duffy.

Given the quality of the league I’d regard anything other than top 4 a failure this season. If we narrowly miss out but we can see there has been significant improvement then that may also be acceptable. 

We still require at least 1 CB hopefully 2 and an attacking midfielder that is going to chip in with 5+ goals as asking Dipo to match Tomis total from last season is a big ask. 

You can’t be serious, are you? Less than top 4 a failure??

we’ve finished 8th 2 years in a row in a leagues containing a poor Morton team, a Hamilton team in free fall. Raith who signed a rapist then imploaded and part time Arbroath.

We should be content to not be involved in a relegation scrap this year.

1 minute ago, Hazbart said:

we’ve finished 8th 2 years in a row in a leagues containing a poor Morton team, a Hamilton team in free fall. Raith who signed a rapist then imploaded and part time Arbroath.

Surely there is a middle ground - are we really happy to spend a season simply avoiding a relegation scrap? IMO, we quite clearly should be looking to challenge for the playoffs at the right end. 

That sounds like another season of utter shite. Do all the work off the park as you want, but if all we are looking for on it is to avoid relegation then the rest all becomes a bit pointless. 

I'm not really getting all the abject negativity, we KNOW we're still going to be making signings but I'd say that bringing in Musonda, Dempsey, Bangala, Dipo and JML is an excellent start and I'd expect all to be starters.

It should also be remembered that even when at our worst last season we were generally competitive and once Bullen came in I really couldn't see much between ourselves and the likes of Inverness, Raith, Arbroath or Thistle.

It could also be easily argued that the league will be weaker this season and so far there's very few of our rivals signed anyone or certainly anyone who gets eyebrows raised.

I've got no fears at all about the season ahead and in fact I'm really looking forward to it, we were NEVER going to be signing Shankland type players as Smith is building a future not chucking money at a present, however it's all about consolidation and improvement both on and off the pitch and that's precisely what I'd expect next season.

As AFW has just stated above, I honestly can't see any reason why we shouldn't be aiming for the play offs as it's certainly not beyond the group that we've already assembled, as in relation to our peers I don't see why we should be having any sort of inferiority complex, of course, much will depend on how the new guys settle and whether or not we have sufficient cover for injuries / suspensions etc, but all in all I'm very pleased so far with the business we've done.

As always, time will tell.....

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Surely there is a middle ground - are we really happy to spend a season simply avoiding a relegation scrap? IMO, we quite clearly should be looking to challenge for the playoffs at the right end. 

That sounds like another season of utter shite. Do all the work off the park as you want, but if all we are looking for on it is to avoid relegation then the rest all becomes a bit pointless. 

To be fair I think the difference between 4th and 8th usually is about 10-15 points normally, so the difference between avoiding relegation play off and challenging for the last promotion play off is usually slim

20 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

16 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

7 minutes ago, honestly united said:

To be fair I think the difference between 4th and 8th usually is about 10-15 points normally, so the difference between avoiding relegation play off and challenging for the last promotion play off is usually slim

@No_Problemo and @honestly united pretty much some it up. Given it’s only a 10 team league if you aren’t involved in a relegation scrap then your likely to be competing for a playoff spot.

Look at last season you had Kilmarnock, Partick, IC,T, Arbroath and Raith all fighting for top 4 while ourselves, Morton, Hamilton, QOS and Dunfermline all trying to avoid relegation. 

28 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Of course there is a middle ground. If we finish mid table, I’d imagine at times we’d have been in the mix for top 4.

I wouldn’t say the season has been a failure if we don’t finish top 4. Rome wasn’t built in a day, we’re in the middle of a long term project. It might take us a couple of seasons to get the right mix.

3 minutes ago, Hazbart said:

Of course there is a middle ground. If we finish mid table, I’d imagine at times we’d have been in the mix for top 4.

I wouldn’t say the season has been a failure if we don’t finish top 4. Rome wasn’t built in a day, we’re in the middle of a long term project. It might take us a couple of seasons to get the right mix.

Are you just choosing to miss out the part where I said if we narrowly missed out but there were signs of significant improvement then that would maybe be acceptable? 

Edited by ayrunitedfw

16 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Are you just choosing to miss out the part where I said if we narrowly missed out but there were signs of significant improvement then that would maybe be acceptable? 

Depends on your definition of narrowly…..

Just think it’s asking a lot for a club that have finished in the top 4 twice in 20 years to go from 8th to 4th in one season when we will be starting the season with 5 or 6 new players in the starting line up.

I would suggest finishing Top 4 will be the target Bullen is set, and if we achieve that it will be a qualified success. As much depends on the manner in which do that (or not) and the progression of some of our long term signings as the actual position.

Being in the relegation mix again all season will clearly be an abject failure. Finishing 5th through 7th would be a bit meh and likely to bring down a storm of dissatisfaction on the management but, for me, a few solid seasons of being a Championship fixture are needed whilst we gradually increase the financial firepower of the club. Ultimately it all depends on sustainably increasing the financial strength of the club. That may not be glamourous but it is what is needed after a few decades of going backwards, off the pitch anyway. Rome isn't going to be built in a season or two - the key is never going down until we are ready to go up.  

In an ideal world, Ayr win the league, Dipo scores 40 odd goals and we laugh at Killie as we go up and they get relegated.

I think that, given the signings and the ones still to come, mid table should potentially be achievable, my main concern is injuries. A lot of players from England aren't used to the physical aspects of the Scottish game. Wouldn't like to think we'd be two or three players down in vital positions, with no cover.

19 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Does anyone think we might be a little bit lightweight in the middle of the park?

Not in any sense of skill or ability, but in stature and maybe get bullied off the ball a bit easy by other teams?

I think our midfielders can give as good as they will get 

29 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Does anyone think we might be a little bit lightweight in the middle of the park?

Not in any sense of skill or ability, but in stature and maybe get bullied off the ball a bit easy by other teams?

Not really from that side of things however Dempsey, Murdoch and Bangala are all more of the defensive mould of midfielders. We need a Kerr McInroy/Stephen Kelly type in there who will chip in with 5+ goals.