The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

7 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

The manager said in his interview yesterday on BW tv he is still looking at getting another 3 in 

You have had everyone on here on edge for weeks for big news, when is it coming?

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Well no, but we haven’t finished signing players.

Very true, I should stop listening to hearsay on here

5 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

For goodness sake man, pull yourself together!!

I get all excited with all the ITK stuff

Just now, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

Chill out man...... Pour yourself a mega pint of wine and chill lol

Wine gadz..... I should be down south watching the Woman's Euros but been fucked by Covid, might get to Somerset now on Saturday if I stay clear

After the vision night, I'm more convinced that things are joined up and there is a grand plan in place. 

I still expect us to deliver on the pitch but I'm willing to be patient. 3 in before the league starts and I'll be sated.

That being said, I expect improvement this season on the pitch, another relegation battle and I'll return to my cynical grumpy self.

34 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

After the vision night, I'm more convinced that things are joined up and there is a grand plan in place. 

I still expect us to deliver on the pitch but I'm willing to be patient. 3 in before the league starts and I'll be sated.

That being said, I expect improvement this season on the pitch, another relegation battle and I'll return to my cynical grumpy self.

Needs some pressure, shite by Halloween and we hound them out

I'm partially being very harsh here 🙂

9 hours ago, diege said:

Needs some pressure, shite by Halloween and we hound them out

I'm partially being very harsh here 🙂

I don't think it's harsh at all.  Jury should still be out on Bullen, at present he's stumbled to the same 'sucess' as Hopkin although he did a little better in getting there.  

Would be interesting to see like-for-like results / points gained between the two for both run ins.

In his interview, Bullen was quite adamant that he was able to get us in the top 5 taking his results into consideration for his stewardship last season.

I would say that in itself bodes quite well and gives me hope that Bullen is the right man at the right time.

The bigger picture really, the way I see it, is that the chairman is wanting to lift the club as a whole to a higher level but sustain it too.

Not just throw money at players for a quick joy ride to the top flight, but you can see he is adding infrastructure to generate more lucrative income streams for the future.

I know it’s not the Gretna way, but who wants that, and patience is what is needed as the whole project isn’t going to happen in 1 or 2 seasons.

Would be interesting to see like-for-like results / points gained between the two for both run ins.

We appointed David Hopkin in January 2021 and for the rest of that season he managed us in 9 games and we picked up 8 points. Our only win (and in fact, his only league win as Ayr boss) was against Dundee at Dens Park in his second game in charge. An entirely dismal run of form and looking back there was probably justification to empty him that summer although a lot of fans relief (myself included) at staying up and the length of contract we gave him probably stopped that.

We appointed Lee Bullen in January 2022 and for the rest of the season he managed us in 17 games and we picked up 21 points. Wins were against Killie, Arbroath, Raith, Partick Thistle and Inverness. Performances were very mixed but the difference with Bullen compared to Duffy and Hopkin was that in certain games you could clearly see what he was trying to do and how he wanted us to play. As opposed to the previous regime of kick the ball as hard as you can and as far away from our goal as you can. It was most evident in the games we won but even in games we lost and drew (Dunfermline away and QOS away) we had a clear plan of attack. We just didn’t have all the pieces needed to implement is as best we could. On the flip side there were some really really bad displays and results. They were generally against teams around us and Bullen didn’t seem to know how to play against teams like Morton or Hamilton.

Ultimately both managers got us to 8th on the last day of the season however the difference in feeling between post match of those respective games and the subsequent close season tells a lot. Elgin on Saturday won’t be indicative of much unless we lose in a bad way and all I’m wanting is a professional display with a couple shades of some excitement from players. Just to see if Bullen is going to continue to let them play the way that we did at the end of last season or if he’s reverting back to being more conservative.

TBF when Bullen came in he stated it was all about survival and not how we got there, pre season would be the time put his stamp on a playing style now had that pre season and going by his interview he's talking about playing out from the back hopefully we are going to see a far better product on the pitch (Hopkin was never going to play anything other than long ball) I'm excited to see how it and how his signings work out.

13 hours ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Guy down my gym told me the other day that his nephew has gave up his season ticket for parkhead and got one for Somerset .I love this.

My nephew was at the daft stage of "supporting" about four English Premiership teams that he had never actually been to watch. I had almost given up trying to get him into the Super. Last season was his first season as a fan and he loved it.

It makes me feel old when he asks me about previous seasons, matches, players, managers and goals from years ago. He's absolutely gutted that he missed Shankland playing for Ayr by a few years.

Is anybody really confident this year of say making the play offs does anyone really feel that the now?

Under Kerr I was confident we would make them, just shows you.

Our next 3/4 signings need to be big improvements for me. Seeing the team down on paper has made me feel a lot more pessimistic.

Is anybody really confident this year of say making the play offs does anyone really feel that the now?

Under Kerr I was confident we would make them, just shows you.

Our next 3/4 signings need to be big improvements for me. Seeing the team down on paper has made me feel a lot more pessimistic.
As you say, I don't think so atm unless we make a few more decent signings

I never felt we had any chance of the Play-offs under Kerr either but hopefully Bullen is the man.

Maybe some don't want to admit it but we were at our best with Shankland etc and good auld Uncle Ian

At the moment Im confident we will finish 8th or above, but dont think we will be challenging for the playoffs quite yet.

IM mainly hoping we are more solid than last year, which you would hope a midfield 3 of Bangala, Murdoch and Dempsey would make us and hopefully will help us string a few passes together which we didnt do under Hopkins. We have Smith and Hewitt to cover who are both ready to be starting so to me that looks good, unless we want to add an attacking centre mid.

Then hopefully our attacking players in O'connor, JML, Ashford and Dipo can create and finish some chances. We need another CF type as if anything happens to Dipo we could struggle, (or if he turns out to be mince)

The defence is still the big worry though, our keepers did well last year considering what was in front of them, but in reality we have kept 3 of the 4 main starters and brought in a new CH. Im really hoping we get 1 experinced CH in, and probably another on loan to cover.

I think we will play more football than last years hoofball, but be solid but unspectacular, which if it keeps us safe is probably ok