The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Wow that’s not a good read from a Scottish championship perspective. I personally liked Maxwell but he has a serious overinflated opinion of his performances and his ability. He certainly won’t be back at Ayr but it will be interesting to see where he eventually rocks up.

Hartlepool same as everyone else most likely. I did wonder if we were in for him as well but the having to pay a fee and his comments about this level and wanting to play in England suggest we won't get him if so. 

1 minute ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Wow that’s not a good read from a Scottish championship perspective. I personally liked Maxwell but he has a serious overinflated opinion of his performances and his ability. He certainly won’t be back at Ayr but it will be interesting to see where he eventually rocks up.

I find it hard to believe how he can think he's too good to go on trial somewhere.

I rate him, I think he's a talented young player, but that attitude will do him no favours. Having been at Rangers is no guarantee that you will make it. I know a few guys who were at Rangers as youngsters and they either ended up playing junior or are not even playing football anymore.

11 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I find it hard to believe how he can think he's too good to go on trial somewhere.

I rate him, I think he's a talented young player, but that attitude will do him no favours. Having been at Rangers is no guarantee that you will make it. I know a few guys who were at Rangers as youngsters and they either ended up playing junior or are not even playing football anymore.

Reminds me a bit of Kyle McAusland…

6 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Maxwell was pish.  

Rather unfair to say that. He was very inconsistent (like most young players) and we probably played him out of position for his entire time here. He did give us some very good moments and he scored a few goals for us when very few others were managing it.

That said, I wasn't really wanting him back and would 100% have taken a REAL midfielder in his place any day of the week.

I've not read the article but would have him down as a mediocre Championship standard player with the scope to be much better if coached correctly and if improving his decision making on the pitch.

7 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

Its a hard choice for these young players, Maxwells only 20 earning 40 k, 2 loans in the championship if he had stayed with Rangers it looked like he was going to Partick on loan or sold on with clubs having to pay Rangers development costs, compare that with Kelly 22 earning 80k loan with us then in the SPL followed by time in the EFL2 year to go in his contract if he doesn't break into first team he's in a better place to get a better move on loan or sold on with more experience.

Like you I'm not sure he can turn down opportunities it was only 2 wks.  

Had a read at this interview and it really doesn’t paid James in a good light and is actually quite disrespectful towards Ayr. 

I liked him while he was with us and his goal v Kilmarnock will always be fondly remembered but I still don’t know his best position. 

I’m not entirely sure we need two centre backs unless one of them can comfortably play in midfield in a holding role. Think we’d be better off getting a midfielder and a striker/winger.

We may come to regret offering Muirhead and Baird reduced terms if we struggle to get someone in, Muirhead has got to thistle and will most likely play where we wanted him to, as defensive cover. Both were good championship defenders and nothing more. Hopefully we can get in better replacements. 
We have a Sean McGinty who could be brilliant or shite and Musonda who has been stop/start with injuries so I’d say we need 2 as cover if there is injuries/being shite over the season. 

Maxwell was a promising player but his decision making let him down, he’d try to be fancy too often and f**k it up, putting us under pressure, like McInroy he lacked a final ball as well.

Bags of talent but even at a championship level he struggled a lot of the time in games as all young players do and I don’t think he was managed right in that respect.

He needs to either concentrate on his game or find the right club this time or he’ll end up like Jack Ruddy, falling through football while telling folk how good he is.

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

We may come to regret offering Muirhead and Baird reduced terms if we struggle to get someone in, Muirhead has got to thistle and will most likely play where we wanted him to, as defensive cover. Both were good championship defenders and nothing more. Hopefully we can get in better replacements. 
We have a Sean McGinty who could be brilliant or shite and Musonda who has been stop/start with injuries so I’d say we need 2 as cover if there is injuries/being shite over the season. 

I'd far rather bring through someone from the youth team as sign an extra 2 who might just be hanging around the Stand as cover, as that's basically what happened with Fjortoft and eventually Baird last year.

The priority has to be a goalscoring Midfielder and I'd far rather us have an additional striker signed as opposed to having to rely on McKenzie and Bryden should anything happen to Dipo.

This is just supposition but I believe with a Midfield of Dempsey, Murdoch and Bangala that we'll be much more solid next season but the issue may be sticking the ball in the net at the other end.

Only time will tell I suppose !!

10 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m not entirely sure we need two centre backs unless one of them can comfortably play in midfield in a holding role. Think we’d be better off getting a midfielder and a striker/winger.

I agree in that we have a couple that can step in if needed, although if he is thinking of playing 3 at the back more than once or twice then we would need another one from what we have seen it looks more 433 or 442. 

8 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Maxwell was a promising player but his decision making let him down, he’d try to be fancy too often and f**k it up, putting us under pressure, like McInroy he lacked a final ball as well.

Bags of talent but even at a championship level he struggled a lot of the time in games as all young players do and I don’t think he was managed right in that respect.

He needs to either concentrate on his game or find the right club this time or he’ll end up like Jack Ruddy, falling through football while telling folk how good he is.

C’mon - Maxwell at least has some kind of potential/ability. Ruddy was quite clearly going to struggle at any kind of level - I imagine he will even drop out of the juniors. He had absolutely no ability. 

2 hours ago, Ayrmai said:

In a reply to my comment Jordan Campbell did expand  "battle hardened having played on two difficult pitches and in different positions."

Maxwell comes across terribly in that interview, and it's not helped by the author of the piece getting all snippy with everyone in the comments. 

Refusing a trial just because he's been at Rangers, even though he's in a position where a club will need to hand over cash to bring him in. The wee snippet about him giving an interview without the permission of the Rangers Academy speaks volumes too. 

Sounds like he'll almost certainly resurface in the Championship or League One up here, probably a week or two after the transfer window has closed, and he's had to beg Rangers to let him go to a team that's found themselves in need of an extra body. 

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

C’mon - Maxwell at least has some kind of potential/ability. Ruddy was quite clearly going to struggle at any kind of level - I imagine he will even drop out of the juniors. He had absolutely no ability. 

I genuinely think that even I was a better goalkeeper than Ruddy was - and I was the guy who was so shite outfield that you just put in nets.