The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

35 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

It was quite funny when they were giving it big licks about promotion then lost in the playoffs LMAO.

Yeah they are a very unlikeable team... 

I personally found it hilarious... They totally underestimated Tranent as allowed some of their better players to go on holiday/wedding etc and then they lost..... And then went in a big huff and withdrew themselves from the cup😂😂😂😂.... 

Hahahhaha.... Alot of my dislike of them stems from that owner of theirs.... GALL... Who is complete tosser.... Who complains about all the other teams in Ayrshire not getting behind them.... When he posts himself outside Somerset Park saying its a shit hole and should be demolished.... 

Total hypocritical arsehole....

2 hours ago, OnlyAyrfaninTarbolton said:

Yeah they are a very unlikeable team... 

I personally found it hilarious... They totally underestimated Tranent as allowed some of their better players to go on holiday/wedding etc and then they lost..... And then went in a big huff and withdrew themselves from the cup😂😂😂😂.... 

Hahahhaha.... Alot of my dislike of them stems from that owner of theirs.... GALL... Who is complete tosser.... Who complains about all the other teams in Ayrshire not getting behind them.... When he posts himself outside Somerset Park saying its a shit hole and should be demolished.... 

Total hypocritical arsehole....

He was also having digs at the other clubs in the league saying they lacked ambition. This made it even funnier when his team failed to get promotion.

If he wants people to get behind his team, behaving like a knob is not how to do it.

He was also having digs at the other clubs in the league saying they lacked ambition. This made it even funnier when his team failed to get promotion.

If he wants people to get behind his team, behaving like a knob is not how to do it.

I said it a couple of years ago when Darvel were spunking money up the wall on sub standard players but ambition is simply spending loads of money compared to your rivals. The pie man seems to think Darvel is the greatest underdog story since Leicester when in reality they’ve just done what Celtic or Man City tend to do every season.

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

I said it a couple of years ago when Darvel were spunking money up the wall on sub standard players but ambition is simply spending loads of money compared to your rivals. The pie man seems to think Darvel is the greatest underdog story since Leicester when in reality they’ve just done what Celtic or Man City tend to do every season.

I was at the Tranent game and it was hilarious how bad they were.  

I just dont get their end game to be honest.  They talk about eventually being in the Championship or even higher as part of this 'project' but how is that ever going to happen and be sustainable?  Its a tiny wee place that is going to be competing directly with I'd imagine Rangers and Killie for fans to turn up every week.  Easy to get locals in supporting their 'wee team' when it's 6 quid entry and you are winning most weeks but that's got its limit.   

10 hours ago, Hursty said:

I was at the Tranent game and it was hilarious how bad they were.  

I just dont get their end game to be honest.  They talk about eventually being in the Championship or even higher as part of this 'project' but how is that ever going to happen and be sustainable?  Its a tiny wee place that is going to be competing directly with I'd imagine Rangers and Killie for fans to turn up every week.  Easy to get locals in supporting their 'wee team' when it's 6 quid entry and you are winning most weeks but that's got its limit.   

It is not sustainable. The problem with chucking money at a team for "success" is that you have to keep chucking progressively more money at it to sustain it. Teams like Darvel do not have the fanbase or infrastructure or revenue streams to survive if the person throwing money at them was to stop. Look at what happened to Gretna after Mileson pulled the plug.

I still find the whole Gretna thing bizarre. Why would anyone think that business model would be a good idea? A few years of glory then what?

2 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

It is not sustainable. The problem with chucking money at a team for "success" is that you have to keep chucking progressively more money at it to sustain it. Teams like Darvel do not have the fanbase or infrastructure or revenue streams to survive if the person throwing money at them was to stop. Look at what happened to Gretna after Mileson pulled the plug.

I still find the whole Gretna thing bizarre. Why would anyone think that business model would be a good idea? A few years of glory then what?

The Buffs tried this about 25 years ago when McLuckie was bankrolling them and it pretty much ended in disaster also.

There will be a string of failures from these lowland league / junior upstarts as it's simply not sustainable, especially at a time when we're heading into the greatest recession probably in history with no sign of coming out for probably a decade minimum !!

1 minute ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Well, that cheered me up 😂😂😂

I know, grim stuff which we won't even fully appreciate for about another 2 to 3 years probably !!

#Doomed

The pyramid system was always going to trim some dead wood and allow progressive teams to advance. 

If there are well run clubs that come through and show ambition then it’s up to current league clubs to match that ambition. There are some junior clubs ran better than senior clubs.

The problem has been a precession of teams bankrolled by a sugar daddy with no sustainable business practice. These teams haven’t picked up a significant increase in crowds as they move through the pyramid. I can see a spate of clubs going to the wall in the next few years as a result. 

20 minutes ago, Ayrmai said:

Just read Maxwells interview in The Athletic, safe to say he will not be returning to Ayr.

“English League One and League Two clubs are interested but they are still humming and hawing. One team asked me to go on trial there but I’ve done enough the last two years to go there without having to travel and train for two weeks.”

That bit in particular stood out.

Also, it would be nice if The Athletic bothered finding out that he never played left-back at Ayr, but that’s par for the course for their Scottish football coverage.

9 minutes ago, Anonymous Spider said:

Just read that myself... he's a confident boy, eh? Not seen much of him - you think he'll cut it? 

He has talent and he gave us some great moments.

It must be very difficult to know what to do, pitfall of extending at Rangers as they tell you where you are going.

Rejecting it seems to have left him few options, hopefully he will get something. 

“English League One and League Two clubs are interested but they are still humming and hawing. One team asked me to go on trial there but I’ve done enough the last two years to go there without having to travel and train for two weeks.”
Also, it would be nice if The Athletic bothered finding out that he never played left-back at Ayr, but that’s par for the course for their Scottish football coverage.

That quote there is blatant nonsense on his part. Did well for QOS but at Championship level which doesn’t necessarily translate to doing well down South. I didn’t see much at all from him last season to suggest he’s good enough to not have to go and train for a couple of weeks with a L1 or L2 club.

54 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

In a reply to my comment Jordan Campbell did expand  "battle hardened having played on two difficult pitches and in different positions."

Talk about a seriously overinflated ego, glad he's gone. Yes he had some great moments but he also had some turgid moments. Should have been dropped in February last year for some time out, like McCall used to do to reset the younger players. If he thinks he's too good to go on trial after two seasons battling relegation then he really needs a reality check. 

Interview with Lee Bullen on B&WTV said 1 or 2 centre backs, attacking midfielder/winger or striker, so looks like 2 perhaps 3 still to come in.

Nothing in the interview suggested anything this week fingers crossed we should have enough to beat Elgin, QofTS game looks harder as they have the bulk of the squad that took 7pts off us last year.