The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Great signing from a good level for us, can’t argue with the policy as we’ve picked up a stand out from non-league and essentially a proven player. Great job getting it wrapped up quickly, they only stopped playing a fortnight ago and technically not yet out of contract. At least suggests we’re getting out targets and not the dregs at the end of next month.

If we sign a player who can only play one position he is going to limit his game time , think it’s obvious the pairing is Musonda and McGinty in middle of defence and if McGinty can keep up his form from end of last season any new guy will find it hard to get a game 
I sincerely hope he keeps his form up even if its just to wind up Morton fans he's maybe found the right manger to get the best out of him and he genuinely seems a good guy.

37 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

I would say a defender who can play at least 2 positions in back 4 and a midfielder who can play box to box 

No idea on the defender and a box to box sounds like Crawford IMO

The greatest positive from Mathie and Co is we're securing players on 2 or more year deals

If it doesnt work out, as we've seen with Gondoh there is an opportunity to break

Adeloye is a prime example of what can happen, if any of these players show promise next season we have value to either keep on the pitch, or make money selling on.

Gid Hings IMO

Edited by diege

If I’m being honest I don’t see Sibbald being here next season. Sounds like we’ll try and get Crawford and that’ll do us for midfielders. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him play in this league but I don’t think it’ll be for us.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If I’m being honest I don’t see Sibbald being here next season. Sounds like we’ll try and get Crawford and that’ll do us for midfielders. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him play in this league but I don’t think it’ll be for us.

I get the feeing, Sibbald is waiting to see what comes up. Sounds like we've offered him something and we're the option he will take if nothing else surfaces.

Missing out on Adeloye and McInroy would surely free up some size of the budget to pump into other deals.

Read it up the thread, but we need some experiance in the squad too

1 hour ago, Shibuya said:

Are you guys all just putting 2&2 together and getting 5 with the Crawford stuff? I don't see it myself. 

There was a reference at the start of the month to a former player coming back. Not that many realistic contenders out there.

Some of these signings look good on paper. However, I still have nightmares over the Falkirk experiment from a few seasons ago when Hartley filled the team with unknowns from England and they sank without trace. I would personally like some experience of the Scottish leagues and maybe someone with a connection to the club, rather than a team of jobbers from lower league in England. Hope I’m wrong and that Mathie knows what he is doing.

I don't think it's unfair to think of Falkirk either. I might be wrong but i remember that Hartley practically filled the entire squad with players from down south and they all thought it was going to be easy up here. We've managed to add our English players more gradually and they're joining a more established core so hopefully we can avoid any disasters. 

Good to see Dipo get on the score sheet yesterday, that will give the kid lots of confidence I am sure. 

In the right circumstances i'd take Crawford back as he always had ability. As it stands there are far too many unknowns with our signings and Crawford isn't the type player of player who turns up each week. . Whilst some of these players come with interesting backgrounds the reality is we play in a lower league where many things don't change too much.  We  should be looking to add some who are familiar with how the league rolls and bring more chance of digging out a result in Arbroath or Greenock in bad weather. 

I remember Mathie previously talking about players being leaders and not too many jump out currently. Probably a few who can look after themelves but not many who can carry others. Hopefully many of the new signings turn out like this but time will tell.  Probably McGinty is the closest we have however 6 good games in as many seasons leave a few questions still

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Some of these signings look good on paper. However, I still have nightmares over the Falkirk experiment from a few seasons ago when Hartley filled the team with unknowns from England and they sank without trace. I would personally like some experience of the Scottish leagues and maybe someone with a connection to the club, rather than a team of jobbers from lower league in England. Hope I’m wrong and that Mathie knows what he is doing.

Did he do this out of choice or were they following a similar model where a recruitment team existed and needed paying for at some point? 

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I share some of your concern, saving grace may be that Hartley had very little experience of those leagues where as, Bullen for 5 years was in amongst these leagues(crosses fingers). 

10 minutes ago, Ayrmai said:

I share some of your concern, saving grace may be that Hartley had very little experience of those leagues where as, Bullen for 5 years was in amongst these leagues(crosses fingers). 

I think the big difference is that we're grooming a pretty young squad with a family type feel and the longer contracts give them security with the opportunity to grow together, I'm pretty sure the Falkirk situation was more of a mercenary type project and fitting square pegs to round holes.

I was at the Golf day and I'm a bit of a people watcher and what came through to me is how there were no cliques and the players were all very relaxed with each other and having a laugh etc, I also think the likes of McGinty will act as a Captain both on and off the pitch and he seems a genuinely really good guy.

I've said it before but this is without doubt the most confident I've felt as an Ayr fan possibly EVER.

Going back to last nights chat, are we still expecting an unknown high calibre youngster in a Loan deal  to be announced "imminently" ??

6 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Going back to last nights chat, are we still expecting an unknown high calibre youngster in a Loan deal  to be announced "imminently" ??

Definitely correct in his description, not concrete yet but had the signs of a very interested player , would think it could be next week before more is heard , good thing is I think there are more irons in the fire ready to be pulled out if needed 

Edited by Finlay21

No idea if anyone has any ideas on this, however we're looking to book our travel for Cove away on August 20th but are a bit concerned that the BBC could end up sticking us on the TV on the Friday night !!

Does anyone know if there's been matches released or whether or not this match being chosen is likely ??