The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Can't work out what kind of midfield look we are going for if Crawford & Sibbald do both arrive.  Wildly different players so wouldn't be one or the other.  

Those two & Broadfoot then I presume we are into loans from that point -

A striker (Prince Henry), probably a left footed wide forward since McKenzie is cover on one side and shouldn't be the only cover then probably a left footed centre back?  

But at that point it's a pretty big squad with every position properly covered so I'm not really sure we'll see what we expect. 

Hope to god Broadfoot does not sign..... Just really on here linking him to us..... No other sources.... All I have heard is QOS and Dunfermline in for him.... 

Welcome to him.... He is absolutely shocking and a p***k aswell 

44 minutes ago, Ayr23 said:

I’m struggling to see how Sibbald, Crawford, Murdoch, and Dempsey fit into the same team.

It is nicer to have the McCall problem (sign every midfielder and not know where to put them) than the current problem (what midfield lol).

Can't work out what kind of midfield look we are going for if Crawford & Sibbald do both arrive.  Wildly different players so wouldn't be one or the other.  
Those two & Broadfoot then I presume we are into loans from that point -
A striker (Prince Henry), probably a left footed wide forward since McKenzie is cover on one side and shouldn't be the only cover then probably a left footed centre back?  
But at that point it's a pretty big squad with every position properly covered so I'm not really sure we'll see what we expect. 

Think at that point we start offloading players. McAllister is the obvious one as he’ll be something like 4th right back and 5th choice centre back. Some of the younger players might get punted out on loan. Can’t see McKenzie getting much game time tbh.

Surely if we’re signing both Sibbald and Crawford then Sibbald would play on the wing (where he played a lot of the time for Falkirk IIRC) and Crawford as the most advanced in a midfield three of him, Murdoch and Dempsey. 

If Dempsey is playing as a 6 and Murdoch as an 8 then Crawford could presumably be either another 8 or a very deep 10. A bit like the role John McGinn usually plays for Scotland.

You would think robbie would be the creator in a midfield 3 with 2 of Bangala, Murdoch or Dempsey I wouldn't expect a lot of goals from midfield but hopefully a front 3 of some kind of combination of Dipo, Ashford, O'connor and possibly Sibbald and Prince Henry more than makes up for that.

2 hours ago, Iain said:

If Dempsey is playing as a 6 and Murdoch as an 8 then Crawford could presumably be either another 8 or a very deep 10. A bit like the role John McGinn usually plays for Scotland.

I would look at it as Murdoch as the six, and Dempsey, Crawford as joint eight’s going box to box and using their energy to get about the park. My only concern is the lack of goals in that three - so our front three would need to be very good. 

We will likely sign neither now anyway!

At the moment we already have Bangala, Dempsey, Murdoch, Smith and Hewitt for the defensive / box to box midfielder. For me Crawford (as much as I think he is a cracking player) just gives you the same as we already have, whereas Sibbald would give you the option to play 2 holding and him as an attacking mid playing behind the striker, or you could use him out wide where at the moment we only have Ashford and O'Connor with McKenzie as back up.

I would be happy getting Sibbald and another CH, then the rest loan squad fillers with at least 1 more decent forward (bring on the Prince!!)

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Maxwell over Crawford please

I'd say the opposite.

Maxwell was NEVER a midfielder and although he had some very good games for us and scored a few important goals, I always felt that he lacked balance and tended to make the wrong decisions when in possession quite often plus try and over do it with beating an extra man etc which unfortunately quite often led to us being put under pressure at the other end.

As for Crawford, I'm in the "rate him" camp, Robbie is a proper footballer, a natural Midfielder with decent pace good ball control and fine range of passing and h's the type who would let us play a more possession based game.

My thoughts are that with good holding players such as Dempsey, Bangala and Murdoch that Robbie could have much more freedom and link up play with the strikers very well.

All supposition of course and we might not even get him.

There is a player in there with Maxwell and no doubt he will continue to develop. I don't buy into the hype around him though, to me he'll top out at Championship / bottom 6 level. Crawford is certainly a better midfielder, I found Maxwell a bit of an enigma and never really understood what his natural position was. As a wide man he's on par if not slightly ahead of Crawford, through the middle I take Crawford everytime.