The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Actually started in the league at left back for Rovers while Keiran McDonald was injured in the truncated season.

Looked a decent ball playing centre back during that season. Good technically. 

Last season there was quite interrupted with injury. Was our third choice centre back in terms of skill in that position - behind Berra and Lang - but in truth was 4th choice thanks to McGlynn's unwavering trust in Benedictus. Played more at full back than in his natural position. 

Really looked the part in his first season (although he had a 'mare against Dunfermline when the boy just ran past him with Frankie looking like he was stuck in slow mo) strong, technical and able to move the ball well. Had more dodgy displays during this season as well.

On last season's showing only I wasn't too fussed about him going but over the two years he's certainly done well enough that I had mixed feelings about him going (and of course we haven't replaced either him or Benedictus yet) but it seems like we didn't try too hard to keep him. Suspect he was deemed quite expensive for what he gave us. That might still prove to be a mistake. 

1 minute ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Delighted with that can he cover rb too? 

He can play anywhere across the back 4 with varied success. If you just want your full back to defend then he can do a job at left back but struggled there a few times for us due to the way we played in terms of being expected to get on the ball and attack and being on his wrong side.

He’s a solid mid table Championship centre back with potential to be better but still prone to the odd lapse in concentration. McGlynn didn’t seem to rate him as much as the fans, he was pretty much 4th choice centre back for us and his versatility probably worked against him with not too many games in his natural position. 

His first season he was really good and a lot of us were surprised he signed up again for a second season but between a mixture of injuries and playing different positions he didn’t excel anywhere near to the same level last season albeit he was by no means poor.

The caveat to his first season is although he looked our best centre back watching the streams he was our third best centre back in terms of goals conceded per 90 behind Benedictus and Davidson which suggests some of the flaws we saw this season were there in his first season too they just weren’t as visible. Always tended to struggle against Dunfermline for some reason, although that won’t concern you this season!

I think it’s a good signing for Ayr and certainly better than what they had.

He's an excellent defender overall. As R.R.FC says, he can play across the back line. He's by no means perfect, but you'll get more good games than bad ones out of him. His injury record can be a bit of a concern. Overall though, you've taken a player most of our fans would've wanted to keep. I was expecting him to make the jump up to a lower half top flight team. 

I’m encouraged by how versatile he is and with him able to play at right back (so can Bangala) I don’t think we need to worry about that position if Houston starts having strikers again.

Reckon Bullen will still want another two or three before the Elgin game and with the friendlies starting tomorrow we might not be long in following this signing up.