The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

44 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

I know Allan personally and he is a good guy who you regularly see in the hub and at Somerset.  They had been using the gym since the turn of the year, so it's good to see them get a deal sorted that benefits both parties.

Yeah he's a big Ayr fan. I know him from Prestwick gym where he was the manager before this new one. 

He's done coaching for our youth teams up at Shoot as well. 

4 minutes ago, davidkennedyshand said:

Yeah he's a big Ayr fan. I know him from Prestwick gym where he was the manager before this new one. 

He's done coaching for our youth teams up at Shoot as well. 

I worked at the centre for 3 years as well, not in the gym mind you :lol:

No idea how accurate it is but looking at average attendances from last season both Queen’s Park and Cove Rangers appear to be in the 650-750 range. Doubt many would think that is sustainable at this level if you also intend to overpay for players without a lot of luck.

However compared to Gretna what both benefit from is large catchment areas. If they can market themselves as an alternative to the big clubs in their cities and price it appropriately then you can imagine them both growing their fan bases in a way Gretna never could.

Obviously in Queen’s Park case that will be far easier once they can get back to Lesser Hampden and they have a far greater history that makes them more marketable. Added benefit is in the last 10 year they have had 3 players that have come through the youth system that went onto play for Scotland and numerous others that have played top flight football in Scotland so if they can keep utilising that and get money for them while having the experience of Dempster and Beuker then they could have something long lasting. No idea what the maximum capacity of Lesser Hampden could be which might also dictate how much further they can go.

Anyway this is quite a boring window so far so hopefully Musonda or another CB is signing tomorrow so we can try and get the defence sorted during the games against Dumbarton on Thursday and Stranraer on Saturday. Otherwise we should at least hear about some trialists.

2 hours ago, Superhursy7 said:

Not against it of he comes in but we are still needing that experience in the squad moff is the only guy over 30 and then it's McGinty at 27/28 it's a very young squad.

You can’t win a league with a young squad was said before down South and look how that turned out 

You can’t win a league with a young squad was said before down South and look how that turned out 
Don't get me wrong I'd rather have a squad of hungry guys in there early to mid 20s than a squad of over the hill jobers but we could do with one or two experienced heads.

2 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
13 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

Don't get me wrong I'd rather have a squad of hungry guys in there early to mid 20s than a squad of over the hill jobers but we could do with one or two experienced heads.

I agree , I would think our next couple of signing will have experience 

I think they’ll come. Bullen said when talking about Sibbald that he’s very experienced so he maybe sees it more as being players who’ve been at this level rather than guys in there early to mid 30s.

Musonda seems comfortable at this level and if we get him and another centre back then the defence is sorted.

11 minutes ago, Finlay21 said:

In fairness Bullen himself admitted only recently that they needed experience and acknowledged how important it was to have guys like Kenyon in the dressing room to pick the young guys up after a defeat.

We DEFINITELY need a strong Captain sort, preferably at the back and someone who will be more communicative and get the guys working for each other, I feel that's one of the things we've really been missing since Doc left and with Muirhead now away it's even worse.

4 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Is it manageable? I’m not saying it won’t be but there is little historical evidence to suggest it will. 

Can QP be a sustainable premier league team based on the size of support? They would probably attract an extra 500-1000 fans in the premier league, maybe get similar gates to Livingston and Hamilton. 
Neither (the current incarnation of) Livingston or Hamiltons spent excessively to get there.

Could they rely on selling young talent ? If you are paying good wages for good pro’s it doesn’t look like youth is a priority certainly in the short term. Hamilton did well at this but youth development tends to be a generational thing, Falkirk, Hibs and Hamilton all had a spell of churning out talent like a conveyer belt but it wasn’t sustained beyond a couple of years.

Other clubs have done it like Ross County and Inverness, Ross County have spent money obviously but have never made a signing that the rest of Scottish football have thought, how did they afford that? 

From someone who went through The Barr era, I wish he’d spent the money on bricks and Mortar that Nigel Jemson and Jens Martin Knudsen, revenue streams to support the football business.

I doubt they could ever survive on crowds alone as it stands even with a decent uplift. . Haughey is certainly an interesting character and has considerable wealth. One thing different from the other benefactors is that he as funded football in various ways and other deserving causes for years and doesn't seem to lose interest. With his contact base there are probably other wealthy investors involved to spread the burden. If anything i could see him setting up a fund longer term to help support the club and ensure the local community can get involved

I  think you've got an EXCELLENT team of people from Leanne Dempster, to Owen Coyle to Sandy Stewart (who i wanted as Ayr Manager) and the Dutch guy who I don't know much about but who has a good reputation.
I'd say your backroom team is more a mid to top table Premier side rather than that of a Championship newcomer and have no doubts that you'll do well.

Coyle failed miserably in the Premiership with Ross County, and pretty much everywhere else he's been since Burnley and Dempster essentially just gets short-term success by running up large losses everywhere she goes (which is perfect for this project tbf). I can see them being fine in the Championship, but none of this screams top half of the top flight quality to me.