The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

12 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Scotlands oldest football club to go bust within 10 years of going full time.

up until now they have been a slow burn and signed average players for the league above. You would think that consolidating a place in the Championship would be a must for them before pushing for playoffs and eventual promotion. 

if they are now offering players £2k a week and taking their squad to training camps abroad while playing in front of sub 1000 home crowds then it’s only going one way for them Once the owner gets bored or realised the amount of ongoing investment he’d have to make to keep them where he obviously wants to take them. 

BB890730-BA5D-491A-9419-3DB73B0C525C.png

I don’t think there are any CH’s in Scotland that would fit the bill, any decent u21 players will likely go on loan to other premier league teams.

This means that we will most likely be looking at English based players and that brings its own problems as they often take time to settle into the Scottish game. I expect that we will have a couple of bounce games to try some out before we sign any. Otherwise it’ll be McGinty and Hewitt 

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

I don’t think there are any CH’s in Scotland that would fit the bill, any decent u21 players will likely go on loan to other premier league teams.

This means that we will most likely be looking at English based players and that brings its own problems as they often take time to settle into the Scottish game. I expect that we will have a couple of bounce games to try some out before we sign any. Otherwise it’ll be McGinty and Hewitt 

Look at Baird and Fjortoft ??

These guys both had a decent reputation and seemed good signings but ultimately just weren't up to it.

2 minutes ago, ecocme said:

If we offered him less than a grand a week then fair enough if he told us to f**k off. 

I appreciate this is becoming boring now and what's done is now done, however we KNOW that he was offered "significantly more" than he was on previously, so take from that what you will.

My own guess is that the entire "package", would have been at least £800 so I don't think £1k + or certainly around this figure would have been far off the mark, plus of course he was permitted "perks" such as continuing his off field activities and being cut a very fair amount of slack I'd say.

Ultimately, everyone has their price, he's gone now so let's concentrate on the future.

4 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Are Queens Park just spending the money they got for the sale of Hampden or is someone bankrolling them?

Haughey is backing them.

He's also just bankrolled a multi million practice area at Cathkin Braes, the guy has SERIOUS money and the QP "donations" are just pocket change to him.

We can speculate all we like about Adeloye's offers/attitude/whatever other guesswork floats your boat, he came to Ayr and put himself in the shop window and it seems to have paid off for him. Good luck to him, it's a short career. Everything else is just noise.
The North terrace will find someone new to be overly raging at next season and around we'll go again.

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Haughey is backing them.

He's also just bankrolled a multi million practice area at Cathkin Braes, the guy has SERIOUS money and the QP "donations" are just pocket change to him.

The same could be said about Barr and Bookes Myleston

Barr retired and shut everything, effectively burned an empire to the ground and gave the ashes to his kids. 

Gretna, old Brooks living off a diet of fags, fish suppers and lucozade didn’t have the forethought to have a plan in place should he take whatever illness was in the post. 

3 minutes ago, Jeff Venom said:

We can speculate all we like about Adeloye's offers/attitude/whatever other guesswork floats your boat, he came to Ayr and put himself in the shop window and it seems to have paid off for him. Good luck to him, it's a short career. Everything else is just noise.
The North terrace will find someone new to be overly raging at next season and around we'll go again.

I agree, however it works both ways, he plays his social media games with the fans and then takes the huff if he gets criticised at how the same fans take this.

What goes around comes around as they say.

On the other hand, you have guys like Michael Rose and Lawrence Shankland who were complete class acts both on and off the pitch and even Kerr McInroy who didn't mess anyone around and made his intentions crystal clear, so ultimately there's two ways of doing things and using the club and the fans as some sort of bargaining tool doesn't sit well with everyone and that includes people like me.

6 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

The same could be said about Barr and Bookes Myleston

Barr retired and shut everything, effectively burned an empire to the ground and gave the ashes to his kids. 

Gretna, old Brooks living off a diet of fags, fish suppers and lucozade didn’t have the forethought to have a plan in place should he take whatever illness was in the post. 

I don't really like posting about this as to be totally honest with you I'm not as clued up on the detail as some others are, but there are huge differences.

First of all Haughey is considerably more wealthy than Mileson ever was; not sure about Barr, but I suspect the same likely applies to him too.

Secondly he hasn't bought the club, he is simply injecting cash, a commitment he has guaranteed (contractually, I believe) will last for a minimum of ten years.

What we need to do is use this time and money to build something sustainable. Bringing in a DOF who was wildly successful in a league that's renowned for generating young players and selling them on for massive profit will be key to that; he really wants to reshape youth development at the club.

Is it manageable? No idea, but it's certainly exciting and I'll be sure to enjoy it while it lasts, wherever it ends up taking us.

Whilst it would be rather amusing to see it go tits up at Queens Park there is a difference between Haughy and Barr/Mileson. He’s significantly more wealthy and the future of the club isn’t entirely dependent on him staying interested in the club.

The mistake Ayr made under Barr was not building something sustainable that can be used to generate money for the club. Under Smith, we’re addressing that with the Hub and the new hospitality suite. Queens Park now need to do that. They’ve done the right thing in bringing in Dempster and the Dutch boy as they’ll take the club in the right direction.

If they want to throw wads of cash at Adeloye then fair play to them. I personally don’t think he’s worth breaking the bank for.

19 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I don't really like posting about this as to be totally honest with you I'm not as clued up on the detail as some others are, but there are huge differences.

First of all Haughey is considerably more wealthy than Mileson ever was; not sure about Barr, but I suspect the same likely applies to him too.

Secondly he hasn't bought the club, he is simply injecting cash, a commitment he has guaranteed (contractually, I believe) will last for a minimum of ten years.

What we need to do is use this time and money to build something sustainable. Bringing in a DOF who was wildly successful in a league that's renowned for generating young players and selling them on for massive profit will be key to that; he really wants to reshape youth development at the club.

Is it manageable? No idea, but it's certainly exciting and I'll be sure to enjoy it while it lasts, wherever it ends up taking us.

Who you have in charge of your team might be your biggest worry .

19 minutes ago, motley123rock said:

Who you have in charge of your team might be your biggest worry .

We wouldn't have been promoted last season without Coyle, he made a huge difference to the levels of effort and intensity on the park as soon he started getting involved. One of his biggest issues in previous jobs according to fans of Ross County etc. was recruitment, something he's not fully in charge of at us. I'm happy with the appointment.

Edited by Zanetti

34 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Why do some of our fans find it so hard to wish Tomi well?

I really don't understand the need to denigrate him for attitude and for being a one season wonder. Wish him well and move on.

Some of our fans didn't even wish him well when he was playing for us. It was bizarre really.

Good luck to him. A good player whose contribution last season was vital. However, he is not irreplaceable.