The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

14 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I honestly can’t see it. They would need to be offering silly money and frankly Tomi isn’t worth it.

Why would they need to be offering silly money?

Any one signing him for big money is taking a risk he's done it for one season and going by his history he's not going to sign a 2 or 3 year deal so even if he scored 30 next season your unlikely to sell him on as he's going to be away after a year, I think he's a bit if a nomad and does not particularly like doing a pre season.

The way I’m looking at things right now, is that the team we had last season took us right up to the last game to secure safety from relegation.

If we had started with the same squad / team, why would we have expected anything different?

Individually, I wanted Kerr, Tomi and Maxi to stay but as has been said before, they were all part of the problem too.  Whether they were the worst part or the best part will be seen in the coming season.

I felt throughout last season that there was a team in that squad somewhere, but it wasn’t good enough as a collective, so each and every player that leaves gives us an opportunity to put the right blend together.

It was mentioned when Chalmers moved on that we could "sign two players for the money he's on". So no doubt there will be a decent chunk of change sitting from his wages being freed up and the money Dunfermline inexplicably paid us. Have there been any murmurs around backroom staff yet? 

14 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

It was mentioned when Chalmers moved on that we could "sign two players for the money he's on". So no doubt there will be a decent chunk of change sitting from his wages being freed up and the money Dunfermline inexplicably paid us. Have there been any murmurs around backroom staff yet? 

We'll pay you the same amount to take him back.

9 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

The way I’m looking at things right now, is that the team we had last season took us right up to the last game to secure safety from relegation.

If we had started with the same squad / team, why would we have expected anything different?

Individually, I wanted Kerr, Tomi and Maxi to stay but as has been said before, they were all part of the problem too.  Whether they were the worst part or the best part will be seen in the coming season.

I felt throughout last season that there was a team in that squad somewhere, but it wasn’t good enough as a collective, so each and every player that leaves gives us an opportunity to put the right blend together.

Dempsey looks absolute class at this level and when you add in Bangala with a fully fit Andy Murdoch then that looks a pretty strong middle of the park to me, which, on paper, is the most important area of the pitch, plus of course we could also have a real find in young Paul Smith.

Ashford (when played on the right) was also a huge upgrade on what we had most of the season and a fully fit and confident Daire O'Connor could also make a huge difference to us this season, especially if we have good movement up top.

I still believe that a Captain figure at the back and someone who can play the ball out from central defence will be huge if we can get them, but I do firmly believe that we've already got the makings of a good side and I've also got very high hoped for Dipo to score us the goals we need and he also seems like a very decent lad off the pitch as well.

Max Guthrie is another who could make a big breakthrough this season as I know Bullen rates him pretty highly along with Fraser Bryden of course and there's no doubt that he's willing to give youth a chance.

A few more quality acquisitions should complete a smaller but better squad than we had previously and with good continuity the players more relaxed and familiar with one another (including the coaching staff) then I really see no reason why this group can't be aiming for the play offs and more importantly, neither do they.....

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I am lead to believe we offered him a very good deal. For him to turn it down and join QP they would need to be offering a fundamentally better deal I would expect. I don’t think they will do that.

Believe they have offered roughly double what we did. 

4 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Dempsey looks absolute class at this level and when you add in Bangala with a fully fit Andy Murdoch then that looks a pretty strong middle of the park to me, which, on paper, is the most important area of the pitch, plus of course we could also have a real find in young Paul Smith.

Ashford (when played on the right) was also a huge upgrade on what we had most of the season and a fully fit and confident Daire O'Connor could also make a huge difference to us this season, especially if we have good movement up top.

I still believe that a Captain figure at the back and someone who can play the ball out from central defence will be huge if we can get them, but I do firmly believe that we've already got the makings of a good side and I've also got very high hoped for Dipo to score us the goals we need and he also seems like a very decent lad off the pitch as well.

Max Guthrie is another who could make a big breakthrough this season as I know Bullen rates him pretty highly along with Fraser Bryden of course and there's no doubt that he's willing to give youth a chance.

A few more quality acquisitions should complete a smaller but better squad than we had previously and with good continuity the players more relaxed and familiar with one another (including the coaching staff) then I really see no reason why this group can't be aiming for the play offs and more importantly, neither do they.....

For me this is the biggest and most important piece of the jigsaw for us. Getting this right will be difference between mid/lower half of the table and mid/top half - normally there is about 10/11 points separating 5th and 8th and getting the right CH could make that difference 

Any one signing him for big money is taking a risk he's done it for one season and going by his history he's not going to sign a 2 or 3 year deal so even if he scored 30 next season your unlikely to sell him on as he's going to be away after a year, I think he's a bit if a nomad and does not particularly like doing a pre season.

Think you are on to something there and that sums him up just checked his history and he’s not once signed for a club (and he’s had a few) before the leagues started. The earliest he’s signed was with us just before the league cup.

If Queen’s Park are spending double what we are offering on someone that scored 11 league goals and one of the worst attitudes I’ve ever seen they might have some issues.

31 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

That just makes no sense and is a huge gamble if true.

Is it prudent to pay around £2k p/w to a striker with a roughly 1 in 5 record in the lowest leagues of English football with 1 good season in the second tier of the Scottish game ??

He's also not a guy who you'd say "defends from the front" like a Bryan Prunty or a Craig Moore sort of striker and as such can be a bit of a luxury at times, as if he's not firing, then he offers little more, especially if his head isn't in the right place (as can often seem the case).

On his day a great player at this level but most clubs simply can't afford that luxury and certainly not ones where money is tight and where every player is expected to run their socks off as it were, so for me it's best he's gone and if someone else (in our league or not) is willing to pay top dollar, then fair enough for both parties involved, but it wouldn't be me.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Believe they have offered roughly double what we did. 

So that would be a ball park of around £2000 - £2500 a week?? That’s a lot of money given the current standard in the Scottish Championship! 

So we do seam to have irons in the fire in attack/midfield with Prince Henry, Okera Simmonds and Craig Sibbald all being mentioned but no names I can find apart from Broadfoot at the back.
Yeah I find the lack of chat about defenders coming in a bit worry tbh. Who's going play alongside McGinty in pre-season?

Scotlands oldest football club to go bust within 10 years of going full time.

up until now they have been a slow burn and signed average players for the league above. You would think that consolidating a place in the Championship would be a must for them before pushing for playoffs and eventual promotion. 

if they are now offering players £2k a week and taking their squad to training camps abroad while playing in front of sub 1000 home crowds then it’s only going one way for them Once the owner gets bored or realised the amount of ongoing investment he’d have to make to keep them where he obviously wants to take them.