The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

2 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:

As much as love the look of the old Cinema in Ayr its best days are years behind it, a new state of the art lux one would being money and folk into the town center and save me from going to Glasgow every time Marvel bring out a new film.

The new one wasn't actually going to show new films I don't think. I can't remember the details. It was some Irish company that had one other cinema 

Here's the initial story

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/first-look-multi-million-pound-23531202.amp

I for one was glad that planning permission was knocked back for a new stadium. Ayr is a ghost town these days. 

the council have fucked it over for 20 odd years- there is nothing to draw us back however I would say the same about Glasgow now. The fact that they have increased parking charges and don’t allow free parking on a sunday etc no wonder people chose to go to silverburn/braehead 

As much as South Ayrshire Council are utterly useless at their jobs, I really don’t know what folk expect. High Streets are dead. I’m from East Ayrshire but work/go out in Ayr and there’s really not a lot of wrong with it (especially compared to the town up the road). If I want to go shopping I go to Silverburn, other than that I use my phone to buy stuff like the rest of the population.

I hate the council no matter what party is in charge but the High Street is not entirely their fault. 

The relocation of the leisure centre isn't dead yet, although that might just be a matter of time. Martin Dowey has been shouting his mouth off  in the media, but the council hasn't taken a formal decision to cancel the project. I wouldn't be surprised if a significant amount of asbestos is found in the older part of the Citadel. That would make a refurbishment much more expensive.

With regard to Heathfield it was the Scottish Executive who refused permission, not South Ayrshire Council.

Edited by RedEd

9 minutes ago, RedEd said:

The relocation of the leisure centre isn't dead yet, although that might just be a matter of time. Martin Dowey has been shouting his mouth off  in the media, but the council hasn't taken a formal decision to cancel the project. I wouldn't be surprised if a significant amount of asbestos is found in the older part of the Citadel. That would make a refurbishment much more expensive.

He's probably still hurting after Seville

Robbo seemed fairly confident Broadfoot wouldn’t be joining so I’m taking his word on that. I half expected a couple of signings today but maybe tomorrow. Not unduly concerned either way.

22 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

As much as South Ayrshire Council are utterly useless at their jobs, I really don’t know what folk expect. High Streets are dead. I’m from East Ayrshire but work/go out in Ayr and there’s really not a lot of wrong with it (especially compared to the town up the road). If I want to go shopping I go to Silverburn, other than that I use my phone to buy stuff like the rest of the population.

I hate the council no matter what party is in charge but the High Street is not entirely their fault. 

Not to mention that the place is largely populated by NIMBYs who are aghast at the state of the town but opposed to anything that is even marginally inconvenient to them.

34 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

As much as South Ayrshire Council are utterly useless at their jobs, I really don’t know what folk expect. High Streets are dead.

Literally Prestwick has current development. Which of course was part of the big plan to make Ayr exclusively a commuter town after eliminating all industry.

I get that decades of neoliberalism and 36 months of deadly virus have fucked things everywhere, but *nowhere* has fucked it so much as Ayr since 2000.

33 minutes ago, AyrAtlanta said:

They are dead and won’t come back in the way they were.

Prestwick and Troon are smaller towns but are filled with coffee shops, bars and restaurants as well as shops that sell tat, making it a pleasant place to walk about.

Ayr is full of shite shops and the walking dead. Making it more appealing visibly and and trying to attract the type of business that will attract casual shoppers should be a priority. They could just about bulldoze all the shops from Marks and Spenser to the Wallace Tower, getting rid of half the empty shops in the town and making more of the river. 

3 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I think the issue with the town centre leisure centre was that they were basically proposing to build a much shitter version of the citadel, with far less facilities. 

If you look at the portal in Irvine and compare it to what the magnum had, it's abysmally shite.

Not only that, there is absolutely no parking. A problem which I could see happening if one popped up at Hourstons. The citadel just needs improvement imo.

Edited by Roxanne's man