The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Still hopeing he fails then 

No one is hoping he fails. But it’s unlikely he’s going to seamlessly adapt to the Premier League. Personally I don’t think he’s anywhere near ready for that level.

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

No one is hoping he fails. But it’s unlikely he’s going to seamlessly adapt to the Premier League. Personally I don’t think he’s anywhere near ready for that level.

Certain twitter comments suggest different. 

15 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

Still hopeing he fails then 

I’d love nothing more than Scott McKenna being the new Paulo Maldini or even John Terry but the truth is, if he ends up being half as good as anyone it’s more likely to be Harry Maguire.

Just because he’s Scottish and played for Ayr, doesn’t suddenly turn him into a world beater.

Edited by Hazbart

Personally thought Rose was a far better player than McKenna, but his attributes are desired in England, hence Maguire cost million, I never once said he was a world beater, but I've read on here about him being one of our worst defenders in recent times which is utter nonsense, his strength and more importantly pace will on many occasions get him out of bother ,there's plenty of rough technically basic centre halfs in the top league, however a lack of speed and strength will destroy you at that level. 

51 minutes ago, Mod1967 said:

Personally thought Rose was a far better player than McKenna, but his attributes are desired in England, hence Maguire cost million, I never once said he was a world beater, but I've read on here about him being one of our worst defenders in recent times which is utter nonsense, his strength and more importantly pace will on many occasions get him out of bother ,there's plenty of rough technically basic centre halfs in the top league, however a lack of speed and strength will destroy you at that level. 

Well that’s something we can agree on. McKenna is is nowhere near the worst defender we’ve had in recent years….

Step up Jack Baird and Marcus Fjortoft….

McKenna was largely pish for us in his second loan spell to the point where Daryll Meggatt was a preferred option. He’s also done very well since then to turn his career around and become a solid championship centre half.

The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

18 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Southampton have just announced this belter. Something similar in red or yellow would be fanatic for us imo. 

7C9F585B-8F27-4475-B462-3F360A1802DD.jpeg

That kit shop that used to be in the Forum was full of horrors like this.

McKenna was dreadful at a young age and looked like he either didn’t want to be at Ayr or thought he was well above the level we were asking him to play at. He just didn’t look at all arsed. That is what is maybe clouding peoples opinion of him. 
He reminds me of Fjortoft, looks like he thinks he should be playing at a much higher level. Plays with arrogance and confidence but make howlers on a regular basis. 
He was a big lump who was quick and physical so maturing has certainly helped him. 

1 hour ago, Hazbart said:

Well that’s something we can agree on. McKenna is is nowhere near the worst defender we’ve had in recent years….

Step up Jack Baird and Marcus Fjortoft….

I raise you Sam Roscoe 

31 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

McKenna was dreadful at a young age and looked like he either didn’t want to be at Ayr or thought he was well above the level we were asking him to play at. He just didn’t look at all arsed. That is what is maybe clouding peoples opinion of him. 
He reminds me of Fjortoft, looks like he thinks he should be playing at a much higher level. Plays with arrogance and confidence but make howlers on a regular basis. 
He was a big lump who was quick and physical so maturing has certainly helped him. 

I have absolutely no idea why anyone would think this about either McKenna or Fjortoft tbh...

McKenna was between the ages of 17 and 19 when he played for us, which is ridiculously young for a centre half. He clearly had some raw ability and his athleticism in terms of attacking corners etc was impressive. He was obviously very rash though, but that’s pretty expected at such a young age. He was good in league one, and made a few errors when we got him back in the championship. 

Fjorotft looked anything but arrogant. Really genuine guy who wanted to do well for himself and the club but was limited ability wise. If we’re talking about arrogance or thinking they’re better than they are then Fjortoft is the last person I’d make that accusation of.

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Fjorotft looked anything but arrogant. Really genuine guy who wanted to do well for himself and the club but was limited ability wise. If we’re talking about arrogance or thinking they’re better than they are then Fjortoft is the last person I’d make that accusation of.

This. Met Fjortoft at POTY and he’s one of the nicest guys you could meet.

Not good enough for this level but not at all arrogant.

I don’t think any of last season squad (Chalmers aside who was a total shitebag) could be described as being arrogant or not caring. 

On 26/05/2022 at 13:06, D'Jaffo said:

Would we take Chris Burke for a year? Has the experience Mathie was talking about and ran Reading ragged in two derbies this season.

Burke would be a great signing for any team I think because of his experience etc however he won’t be running the show for 90 mins week in week out, my concern would be that he would become a bit of a scapegoat if your season wasn’t going well as there can be times that he just struggles to make an impact on games and I think that + being ex Killie would probably lead to a fair bit of abuse.

Also with older players you just never know when a season becomes one too many. Although we thought that with Burke back in 2017 and he’s been one of our most important players since then.

Why we talking about McKenna and Fjortoft?

I wish them the best of luck, neither were the best for Ayr but onwards and upwards to them.... I'd rather we were discussing who we could actually get to fill in the centre back roles that have been vacated. I know it's still early days so lots of speculation on who could fill in at the back in the coming season.

What happened to the Equatorial Guinea player we were said to be looking at?

53 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I didn’t say he was arrogant in real life, his playing style was. He would stroll about like he was the greatest defender on the planet, then make a howler followed up by a petulant foul.

The Kilmarnock game was a case in point, glided forward to intercept a pass, missed, was completely the wrong side of the attacker. Rather than try and recover just grabs the guys collar. 

The amount of Hollywood passes he played straight out the park that he didn’t have the stones to do, the amount of times he was caught flat footed and gave away fouls. If he concentrated on doing the simple things well and then worked on the flair stuff he would be a decent defender, maybe even at a higher level than Ayr like McKenna. 

26 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Why we talking about McKenna and Fjortoft?

I wish them the best of luck, neither were the best for Ayr but onwards and upwards to them.... I'd rather we were discussing who we could actually get to fill in the centre back roles that have been vacated. I know it's still early days so lots of speculation on who could fill in at the back in the coming season.

What happened to the Equatorial Guinea player we were said to be looking at?

Because no one knows, our signing policy has been very much Leftfield signings from lower league English football, there has been no gossip or speculation in terms of names.

We have been told that they expect signings to be made before preseason starts in 2 weeks time so there is nothing to speculate on currently. 

it’s not just you but there have been 3-4 posts saying “why are we talking about this?”

because it’s an Ayr United forum and there is literally f**k all else happening and we know there won’t be anything happening for the next week.