The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

5 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
10 minutes ago, Trogdor said:
If he was the player who left at the end of 2018-19 then aye. However, his spell at Falkirk worries me. He could even end up at Morton, did he not come through the ranks there?

We signed him from partick of IRC

We did but they signed him from Morton. 

It’s a no from me for Declan. Far too inconsistent for us at this level and had a pretty dire spell at Falkirk last season. I was quite happy to see the back of him last time around.

10 hours ago, Trogdor said:

If he was the player who left at the end of 2018-19 then aye. However, his spell at Falkirk worries me. He could even end up at Morton, did he not come through the ranks there?

Falkirk are really hard to judge as they seem to be a mess on and off the field. Dowds somehow managed to look scunnered in the celebration pictures after scoring a hat trick when they recalled him from Arbroath. 

10 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Declan McDaid departs Dundee. I’ll probably be in the minority but I’d have back. 

That list of names leaving Dundee isn't particularly appetising, but if I had to take one of them it would be Mullen rather than McDaid.

6 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

What about a punt on Poplatnik? Freed from Livi

I thought Poplatnik looked decent at times. Definitely seemed to come onto a good stretch of form towards the end of the season at Raith. He had some game in that challenge cup final. Maybe not a first choice forward but wouldn't be against that.

Edited by AuAl

1 hour ago, AuAl said:

I thought Poplatnik looked decent at times. Definitely seemed to come onto a good stretch of form towards the end of the season at Raith. He had some game in that challenge cup final. Maybe not a first choice forward but wouldn't be against that.

I think we need to start aiming higher than cast offs or squad players from our direct opponents, I'd much rather risk an unknown foreigner or League 2 / non league Englander than go for someone who we already know of their limitations as it were.

2 hours ago, WATTOO said:

I think we need to start aiming higher than cast offs or squad players from our direct opponents, I'd much rather risk an unknown foreigner or League 2 / non league Englander than go for someone who we already know of their limitations as it were.

What a bizarre statement. So we shouldn’t be signing anyone from direct Opponents. If that was the case we wouldn’t have signed Murdoch, McInroy etc. not to mention Shankland!

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

What a bizarre statement. So we shouldn’t be signing anyone from direct Opponents. If that was the case we wouldn’t have signed Murdoch, McInroy etc. not to mention Shankland!

I like how you named the couple of success stories but omitted the umpteen abject failures. McInroy didn't actually play against us either as he was at Airdrie but had the pedigree of Captaining the youth team at Celtic which in itself counts for something. 

It's all just opinions though, so whoever comes in I'll support and I don't see anything bizarre about that.

In the case of Poplatnik, his goalscoring record in the second tier of Scottish Football is pretty horrendous, so not for me.

I like how you named the couple of success stories but omitted the umpteen abject failures. McInroy didn't actually play against us either as he was at Airdrie but had the pedigree of Captaining the youth team at Celtic which in itself counts for something. 
It's all just opinions though, so whoever comes in I'll support and I don't see anything bizarre about that.
In the case of Poplatnik, his goalscoring record in the second tier of Scottish Football is pretty horrendous, so not for me.

He’s played one season and it was hardly horrific. If you actually look back in past seasons Shankland, Dobbie and maybe Cummings are the only strikers to have scored a significant amount of goals in this league. We’re probably not going to sign anyone capable of scoring more than 8-12 goals in this league.

If he was available I’d take him. Similarly with other strikers who’ve been at this level like Gavin Reilly.

If Tomi doesn't re-sign then I would be up for taking him providing we bring in another striker alongside him.

I couldn't remotely see Bullen being Interested in McDaid. Bullen likes his wingers to work hard and run up and down the pitch, something McDaid never did in an Ayr shirt. 

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He’s played one season and it was hardly horrific. If you actually look back in past seasons Shankland, Dobbie and maybe Cummings are the only strikers to have scored a significant amount of goals in this league. We’re probably not going to sign anyone capable of scoring more than 8-12 goals in this league.

If he was available I’d take him. Similarly with other strikers who’ve been at this level like Gavin Reilly.

Looking back through his "stats", the only level that he's appeared prolific is the equivalent of the Ayrshire Juniors so I'd hope we'd do better than that.

I'd imagine it's all academic in any case as don't think he's been in any way linked with us other than by a poster due to him being released / available ??

4 hours ago, WATTOO said:

For every gem in the English league there is duds. We’ve had a bit of success in that market with the likes of Adeloye and Dempsey but also had a couple of duds in Gondoh and Kenyon. 

Looking back through his "stats", the only level that he's appeared prolific is the equivalent of the Ayrshire Juniors so I'd hope we'd do better than that.
I'd imagine it's all academic in any case as don't think he's been in any way linked with us other than by a poster due to him being released / available ??

You have absolutely no idea what the level he’s played at is like but you’re also advocating us signing players from non league teams in England which has far more duds than good players.

18 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

And at what higher level did Adeloye score loads of goals exactly?

14 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

And at what higher level did Adeloye score loads of goals exactly?

Scottish Championship ??